Subaru WRX Forum banner

Bpv with tmic

4K views 29 replies 4 participants last post by  zax 
#1 ·
So I just ordered a Perrin BPV but I noticed while surfing the web that the only pics I can find are all on cars with FMICs but I still have the stock top mount. Am I going to be unable use this bpv with the stock top mount?

#25 ·
From what I heard, on the up side it will better your throttle response
Righttttt.....

I'm going to assume you are NOT running 30+ PSI, a blow-through MAF, or Speed Density fueling. In which case, what you posted is incorrect. The stock BPV is more-than capable of relieving excess pressure and it is unlikely you will experience any improvement in transient response unless you satisfy the above conditions.

Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC

#22 ·
Do not let this make you think you absolutely need one, however. Most turbo cars, such as the WRX/STI have a stock bypass valve that is designed for the levels of boost the car is running normally that will work perfectly. The only reason you would want to upgrade to an aftermarket BOV is if you want to run quite a bit more boost than stock (20psi on the WRX/STI). At this point, the compressor surge can be greater than the stock BPV can handle.

Problems: There is one certain problem that aftermarket BOVs can create. The air that they release has already been measured by the mass air sensor, so when this air is gone after the BOV blows off, the ECU will be injecting the wrong amount of fuel, causing the engine to run rich for a second. This can damage the catalytic converter after time. This can not be fixed with engine management.

Take all these factors into consideration before buying a BOV. Happy modding!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1110055

#26 ·
The only reason you would want to upgrade to an aftermarket BOV is if you want to run quite a bit more boost than stock (20psi on the WRX/STI). At this point, the compressor surge can be greater than the stock BPV can handle.
The main consideration for upgrading the stock BPV is leaking NOT compressor surge! A stock 2002-2007 USDM WRX/STi will hold up to 20 PSI. After this point, the BPV may not seal under boost resulting in a boost leak. 2002-2007 metal BPVs could be modified to hold higher levels of boost, unlike the newer plastic BPVs. JDM STi BPV will hold up to approx. 25 PSI of boost. At boost pressures 20 PSI and under, the stock BPV is far superior to an aftermarket piece.

#30 ·
2008+ WRX use the Legacy GT style layout, which includes a plastic BPV. It is not [easily] possible to modify this BPV for high boost, and they are rumored to leak at pressures above 17-18 PSI. Most 3rd gen owners looking to modify past OTS stage 2 tunes opt to use a Forge BPV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.