I need help with downpipes for my 2013 Wrx
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I need help with downpipes for my 2013 Wrx within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello i'm new the this forum and to subarus. I have a 2013 base wrx sedan but i got the ...

I need help with downpipes for my 2013 Wrx

Hello i'm new the this forum and to subarus. I have a 2013 base wrx sedan but i got the spt exhaust and shortshift. I love the exhaust its pretty loud but i want it to sound deep and really be able to hear the boxer engine but nothing to loud. what are some of yalls takes on different downpipes at a good price. Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you know a downpipe requires a tune?

I Support ClubWRX
    Downpipe won't change the sound really. You would need to go full turbo back (if you want the downpipe power and the sound), which would require a different map, or a catback if you just want the noise.

ive been looking up videos of downpipes and they seem to change the sound? And i got the spt exhuast(which is a catback) as a add on i wouldnt already wanna drop alot of money on a full system.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you get a downpipe you will need a way to tune for it (cobb ap/tactrix cable or protune). Either way, the sound you have now is what it will pretty much be after.

I just looked up a video of a 2011 wrx with the spt cat back and a Invidia catted down pipe and it sounded way different than mine.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shwayze951 View Post
    I just looked up a video of a 2011 wrx with the spt cat back and a Invidia catted down pipe and it sounded way different than mine.
    Well take the video for what you want. Videos don't do a great job representing real life sound. The real difference would be the amount of packing material in the mufflers, but regardless, if you get a downpipe and install it you will need a tune of some kind.

Popular brands include invidia, perrin, cobb, turboxs, etc, etc. All are fine quality.

Invidia Q300. Not to loud, but makes all the cool subaru noises.

If you're still thinking downpipe, remember you'll need engine management for it. I have an invidia catted downpipe w/ o2 bung in my garage going on my car this weekend with the stock catback(I'm old, loud bothers me) ill do some before and after exhaust vids. Post em up probably Sunday or Monday. But as already stated downpipes don't really change the sound much.

Not trying to promote any one company but......,Invidia quality is top notch from looking at the dp. I was skeptical about invidia as I remember them being an eBay sorta company years ago. But they've really come a long way in quality. And it was about $100 cheaper than a Cobb or Perrin unit even with the o2 bung.

Disclaimer
    Any good name downpipe will do the same thing not saying its any better than another companies product just pointing out I saved $100 and got the same quality item.

Can you acknowledge that you understand you need a tune for a downpipe?

If you get a catless DP it will be slightly louder. A DP with a high flow cat will also slightly increase the sound but not as much as the catless. But like everyone is saying the sound difference is mostly in your catback exhaust.

For the most part a downpipe is a downpipe, some do have a better build quality than others. What you will have to determine is catted vs catless.

You will need the following for the downpipe:

Downpipe: $250-500+
    Tune: $200 (opesource with a tactrix cable) or an Access Port $500.

Don't forget the cost of the tune!
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Also something to look out for is what type of opening the down pipe has at the cat back side. Some are meant to directly bolt up to stock (about 2.5-2.75" opening) and others are meant to pair up to a 3" aftermarket exhaust. I'm pretty sure the SPT exhaust is the same diameter as stock, so look for one that's the same fitting or you could potentially end up with a leak. If I remember from my research, I think the Perrin one mates up to a stock style cat back. Most vendors will know.

2011 SWP Sedan

Tuned by Keenan @ All Aspects Motorsports / 322WHP / 330 ft/lbs TQ
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...swp-sedan.html

The spt is slightly larger than stock,so if you have a 3" down pipe, you'll need to get an adapter for it. Cnt makes one I believe, its 20 or so dollars.
    '11 WRX DGM

^ 3" tubing on SPT.

Im selling a used invidia catted if you're interested.

DP and tune will be slightly louder. At first, I ran my stock CBE with a catless Invidia DP and it was noticeably more db's on the sound-o-meter.

YOU MUST TUNE FOR DP...DO NOT PASS GO WITH OUT TUNE IF YOU INSTALL A DP.

GL with it, IMHO the DP and stage 2 step is probably the best value/HP you can get. After that, the prices shoot through the roof and the gains get smaller.

More so than an intercooler ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.