Good next mod? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

This is a discussion on Good next mod? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Nah man, this is info I'm looking for. Great advice....

  1. #16
    Registered User SubiEj255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    387
    Nah man, this is info I'm looking for. Great advice.
    A car is only as good as its driver

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User MercRising's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Littleton
    Posts
    189
    Pretty nice used market between here nasioc and the old 3gwwrx dot kahm.

  4. #18
    zax
    zax is offline
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,704
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    E85 isn't quite a cheap mod.

    You'll need injectors (~$500), a fuel pump (~$100), and a tune (~$400-500). In the end, that comes out to be around a grand.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  5. #19
    Registered User SubiEj255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    387
    That's true. I understand that. With a tweak in my tune, how much power could I get with a TMIC?
    A car is only as good as its driver

  6. #20
    zax
    zax is offline
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,704
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubiEj255 View Post
    That's true. I understand that. With a tweak in my tune, how much power could I get with a TMIC?
    What TMIC?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  7. #21
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    2,773
    I Support ClubWRX
    Check out this guys thread...He installed a ProcessWest TMIC.

    PW intercooler installed and Protuned

  8. #22
    zax
    zax is offline
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,704
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I think a quality TMIC would be an excellent idea, and here's why:

    1.) Lower pressure drop. A quality bar-and-plate TMIC has a much lower pressure drop across the core than the stock TMIC. The stock WRX TMIC has approx. a 3 PSI pressure drop at 20 PSI. This means that while the turbo outlet pressure is 20 PSI, the pressure of the air entering the cylinders is 17 PSI. As such, the turbo has to be run further out of the efficiency range to achieve equivalent boost with the stock TMIC. A good bar-in-plate intercooler will have less than 1 PSI of pressure drop at 20 PSI. The turbo will spool faster and hold boost longer into the rev range compared to the stock TMIC.

    2.) Injectors as a limiting factor. Tuning a Stage 2 WRX will result in reaching the peak capability of the stock injectors with the required electrical headroom. With an aftermarket TMIC, you will achieve increased charge cooling, and thus be able to lean out your mixture at full boost. Thus, you will be able to sneak by with more power for a given injector size with proper timing adjustments.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  9. #23
    Registered User MercRising's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Littleton
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I think a quality TMIC would be an excellent idea, and here's why:

    1.) Lower pressure drop. A quality bar-and-plate TMIC has a much lower pressure drop across the core than the stock TMIC. The stock WRX TMIC has approx. a 3 PSI pressure drop at 20 PSI. This means that while the turbo outlet pressure is 20 PSI, the pressure of the air entering the cylinders is 17 PSI. As such, the turbo has to be run further out of the efficiency range to achieve equivalent boost with the stock TMIC. A good bar-in-plate intercooler will have less than 1 PSI of pressure drop at 20 PSI. The turbo will spool faster and hold boost longer into the rev range compared to the stock TMIC.

    2.) Injectors as a limiting factor. Tuning a Stage 2 WRX will result in reaching the peak capability of the stock injectors with the required electrical headroom. With an aftermarket TMIC, you will achieve increased charge cooling, and thus be able to lean out your mixture at full boost. Thus, you will be able to sneak by with more power for a given injector size with proper timing adjustments.
    Great info for sure. TMIC appears to be a great base addition for bigger power mods in the future too. I am torn on buying one because for the same money, or close, you can go FMIC and it looks amazing and cools amazing too. And there's options out there for keeping your front safety beam now so that's non-isue. TMIC's just seem like a lot of cash to spend if you don't plan to go much past stage2 right?

    And ZaX, for Corn, can't you just spend $600 in injectors/pump and then $120 on a Tactrix and $150 on a open source tune ....if you're OK with tuning that way, via email and all. Eric Minehart runs E-85 himself so, the Torqued Performance Open Source E-85 from him would probably be pretty good. Plus, the safe gain on corn because of it's resistance to knock allows for a great value at under $1000 and about 15-20% more giddyup.

    Hopefully I'm not too far off base here with the material, i read forums a lot and they are often WAY biased as we all know. It's just that I'm in stage 2 myself and have been trying to decide on what of these mods to do next on my own car.

    TOO MANY OPTIONS, WHAT A PROBLEM TO HAVE!!

  10. #24
    Luke Skywalker Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,643
    Quote Originally Posted by MercRising View Post
    Great info for sure. TMIC appears to be a great base addition for bigger power mods in the future too. I am torn on buying one because for the same money, or close, you can go FMIC and it looks amazing and cools amazing too. And there's options out there for keeping your front safety beam now so that's non-isue. TMIC's just seem like a lot of cash to spend if you don't plan to go much past stage2 right?

    And ZaX, for Corn, can't you just spend $600 in injectors/pump and then $120 on a Tactrix and $150 on a open source tune ....if you're OK with tuning that way, via email and all. Eric Minehart runs E-85 himself so, the Torqued Performance Open Source E-85 from him would probably be pretty good. Plus, the safe gain on corn because of it's resistance to knock allows for a great value at under $1000 and about 15-20% more giddyup.

    Hopefully I'm not too far off base here with the material, i read forums a lot and they are often WAY biased as we all know. It's just that I'm in stage 2 myself and have been trying to decide on what of these mods to do next on my own car.

    TOO MANY OPTIONS, WHAT A PROBLEM TO HAVE!!
    To that I say...if you don't want to go past Stage 2 Off-The-Shelf tune...yes. But if you are planning on going the protune route...it will help you get a good amount of power, and increase reliability across the board that would otherwise be left on the table if you didn't have one comparatively.

    As for Corn...you can spend that for the Open Source tune...but that would be equiv for an etune or an off the shelf tune again. I'm not aware of any tuners that do that for E85, unless Eric from TP does do E85 tunes via email...It's a fickle thing to tune for and generally needs to be done in person with road-tuning or a dyno tune to really ensure it's running correctly...ergo why you'd need to do a protune to properly run it. I'd honestly not want to get that done via email, no matter how reliable the tuner may be (not knocking Eric at all!)
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

  11. #25
    Registered User MercRising's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Littleton
    Posts
    189
    Great points on the protune vs. e-tune. I've read that the Corn tune is a bit more fickle so the electronic emailing back and forth with log/send/reflash/repeat would be a bit annoying for sure.

    And I hope to never imply that I know much more than a field mouse in the tuning arena. I'm just here gathering/sharing info as much as I can.

    Sorry if this wasn't the OP's intended route of the thread but...some great info bouncing around here!

    Cheers all!

  12. #26
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,676
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would NOT tune a car on anything but pump gas without both a boost and wideband gauge. Even at S2, I'd prefer to see them on the car.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  13. #27
    zax
    zax is offline
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,704
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I would NOT tune a car on anything but pump gas without both a boost and wideband gauge. Even at S2, I'd prefer to see them on the car.
    I'd pump your gas
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  14. #28
    Registered User MercRising's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Littleton
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by MercRising View Post
    Great points on the protune vs. e-tune. I've read that the Corn tune is a bit more fickle so the electronic emailing back and forth with log/send/reflash/repeat would be a bit annoying for sure.

    And I hope to never imply that I know much more than a field mouse in the tuning arena. I'm just here gathering/sharing info as much as I can.

    Sorry if this wasn't the OP's intended route of the thread but...some great info bouncing around here!

    Cheers all!
    Looks like you avatar is tuning up that Pink Panther with no gauges!

    No but seriously, I'm no tuner!

  15. #29
    Registered User SubiEj255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    387
    PW

    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    What TMIC?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    A car is only as good as its driver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •