Manual boost controller

This is a discussion on Manual boost controller within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm about to make my own manual boos controller and I don't know if I'm going to need an immediate ...

Manual boost controller

I'm about to make my own manual boos controller and I don't know if I'm going to need an immediate tune afterword. Can anyone give me an answer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    The later the car the more one ought to leave boost control to the car. The earlier cars could be OK with care from what I've seen, but by virtue of having to ask the answer is "yes."
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The later the car the more one ought to leave boost control to the car. The earlier cars could be OK with care from what I've seen, but by virtue of having to ask the answer is "yes."
    Mine is an 02 so lol

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Depends. You may be able to use a MBC, but make sure you understand a few things:

1.) An MBC will develop boost sooner than the stock EBCS, which may put your car into load cells previously untuned. If you have an MBC, you better be sure to have some way to log the car ensuring that you are NOT causing damage.
    2.) Using the stock EBCS allows the car to cut boost if a fault is detected (most commonly, IAM drops below a certain value). Using an MBC alone will NOT allow the engine to cut boost if necessary and may result in significant engine damage or complete destruction.
    3.) The stock EBCS targets a specific boost (in the map) using a closed-loop boost control method. The MBC does not have this capability. As such, you will need to make adjustments to the MBC when the weather or altitude changes in order to hit target boost.
    4.) You CANNOT simply install an MBC and "turn up the boost." Doing so will likely result in engine damage or destruction. There is a very common misnomer that more boost = more power. This is not the case. You must understand the dynamics of a turbocharger combined with the VE of the motor before considering changing the peak boost.
    5.) MBCs cannot regulate boost based on throttle position, unlike the stock EBCS. As such, a phenomenon known as PTFB (Partial throttle, full boost) can occur. This reduces the drive-ability of the car and causes the EGTs to spike.

Given these points, I typically recommend AGAINST running an MBC alone, especially if you are unfamiliar with tuning cars. If your goal is to increase spool and transient response, using a 3-port BCS (interrupt type vs. stock bleed type) tuned to your car will improve these items. Furthermore, if funds permit, running a Hybrid boost setup (EBCS parallel to the MBC) will mitigate points 2. and 5. while retaining the solid control of an MBC.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

How are you going to "make" your own manual boost controller?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    How are you going to "make" your own manual boost controller?
    Grainger and others sell high quality brass fittings that are suitable.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Makes sense...I also don't understand why you'd do that when I've even seen people use GM and Dodge MBCs for $35 and tune with efficiency.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Makes sense...I also don't understand why you'd do that when I've even seen people use GM and Dodge MBCs for $35 and tune with efficiency.
    You're thinking of the Interrupt-type EBCS, not MBC.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Sarcasm font fail?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Grainger and others sell high quality brass fittings that are suitable.
    Yep one of my friends made his own. Very simple piece actually.