Equal length vs. Un-equal Length Headers - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Equal length vs. Un-equal Length Headers within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by michaelwfox Uhhh wut? This thread is about exhaust sound. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2 ...

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Uhhh wut?

This thread is about exhaust sound.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Hahaha ****...

Somebody mentioned the performance gains and I lost focus... it's late, don't pay me any mind.
    2012 SWP WRX Premium
    35% tint and that's all she wrote

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

After listening to that video, unequal gets my vote for better sound any day.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricktalife View Post
    Hahaha ****...

Somebody mentioned the performance gains and I lost focus... it's late, don't pay me any mind.
    Lol it's all good. I do mostly agree with your statement after all.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    they both sound equally cool to me, but one of them makes about 20whp more on a given setup than the other. or so ive heard. so i know what ill be getting when one out of warranty day i man up and buy a rotated kit.
    Yep. I picked up right around 20whp/20wtq going to an EL header. That's all I care about. The blub-blub sound is overrated.

I'd be willing to bet the next generation WRX/STi will have the turbo in the same front location as the latest FA20 DIT Legacy GT they have in Japan.
    Happiness isn't just around the corner, it is the corner.

FWIW, you couldn't PAY me to run EL headers on my car. I'm probably losing 40 or so with my setup. The only way I would ever run EL headers is if I ever build my dream twin turbo setup.

I Support ClubWRX
    EL all day long.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricktalife View Post
    I think everyone should realize that you bought a WRX instead of an STI. I love my WRX and I think it performs rather well in stock form, but obviously not as well as the STI. If you were concerned about maximum performance, you would have chosen an STI.
    I couldn't say the above and believe it. I love my modded bugeye wagon. 61 cubic feet of cargo space, 300awhp, sounds awesome, and handles decently for what it is. (No Impreza is really a balanced handler, IMO) Purchased used, plus mods, I'm still in for less than what I would have paid for a new STI.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricktalife
    I think everyone should realize that you bought a WRX instead of an STI. I love my WRX and I think it performs rather well in stock form, but obviously not as well as the STI. If you were concerned about maximum performance, you would have chosen an STI.

That's all you have to say.
    In stock form, on the street, you will be hard-pressed to find yourself in a situation where the '08+ STI really outshines the '09+ WRX. You need to get into heavy modifications (where the transmission becomes a potential liability), or be pushing the car hard enough to be unsafe on public roadways.

Back to the UEL vs EL debate, TopSpeed did a nice review of a header/uppipe combo from Invidia on the GR body style:

Source: Link
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Anyone know what kind of gains you can realistically get from like Borla UEL headers? They flow more than stock, so they should gain some power, and should gain some spool time too....they sound different from stock as well (deeper thump).

It seems most of the time when comparing EL vs UEL, it is done stock vs aftermarket.....I would like to know aftermarket vs aftermarket personally
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX
    Anyone know what kind of gains you can realistically get from like Borla UEL headers? They flow more than stock, so they should gain some power, and should gain some spool time too....they sound different from stock as well (deeper thump).

It seems most of the time when comparing EL vs UEL, it is done stock vs aftermarket.....I would like to know aftermarket vs aftermarket personally
    Ignition timing would likely have to be retarded a bit; maybe 1-2 vs 2-3.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Aftermarket headers usually spool slower than stock. The idea is to maximize the kinetic energy of the exhaust gases. When you put headers on that flow better, they usually are a larger diameter. Larger diameter means larger volume and slower gas speeds, thus lower KE (for a given RPM).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post

More flow usually means slower spool, not faster.. unless you're running a massive turbo.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    Aftermarket headers usually spool slower than stock. The idea is to maximize the kinetic energy of the exhaust gases. When you put headers on that flow better, they usually are a larger diameter. Larger diameter means larger volume and slower gas speeds, thus lower KE (for a given RPM).
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    More flow usually means slower spool, not faster.. unless you're running a massive turbo.
    Yes, I realize slower spool comes from larger tubing.....the Borla I was mentioning has 1.625" (outside diameter) primaries and 2.25" (outside diameter) collectors... which if I am not mistaken, are just about the same as stock cast dimensions. The increased flow coming from smooth bends and transitions rather than larger tubing.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    They're not going to retain heat near as well as cast iron manifolds either, which will also reduce exhaust velocity.

I Support ClubWRX
    That is true....but thermally they will be no worse off than ELH would be. I know that even with ceramic coating and heat wrapping it will not likely be as good with EGT as stock cast iron....I would just like aftermarket UELH considered in a header discussion, and what merits they might have for those of us that like the sound.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast