I have myself almost convinced to buy an accessport

This is a discussion on I have myself almost convinced to buy an accessport within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I think I am going to take the plunge and go aftermarket, starting with an accessport. I've read a ...

I have myself almost convinced to buy an accessport

So, I think I am going to take the plunge and go aftermarket, starting with an accessport. I've read a bunch of threads regarding warranties and I understand you must be willing to "pay to play." Could any of you shed some light on to how much paying I could potentially do? I know these are highly unlikely as long as you're nice to your car, but what would it cost to have the pistons replaced if I cracked a ring land, and what would it cost to have the transmission rebuilt if I grenade it? 2013 WRX.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hello sir, I'm not as knowledgable as some of the others on this forum, however I've tackled the 'basic' mod's myself and did quite a bit of research before/while doing so and could give you some information. First off, the AP (accessport) is a great place to start off. You can do Data-Logging and if you post it up here I'm sure a few of the 'veteran' members will easily be able to know whats going on and if it's running fine or somethings off. Also, if you in the future plan on going with a protune (tuned by a tuner, a custom map for your specific car rather then the universal AP maps) many shops use COBB software and require an AP for the protune. That being said, how reliable is the AP and should it bring any worries into your life, you ask? Well, as much as I hate to admit it, I blew the first motor on my STi at 6k miles (completely stock on stock tune). Yes, I beat it much more then I should have, thankfully I grew out of that. BUT, I personally felt that while being stage 1, the car was much smoother and easier going on all parts. I could be wrong, but the tune felt so much smoother and more refined. Many people question if they should have any worries when going stage one, which is completely legitimate, but what you will notice if you go for the stage 1, it's more of making the power more smoother and refined rather then adding to it and getting much more power then stock, So I have to say power gains aren't extreme (although there are some). As far as the transmission goes I don't know much but I know that if you are not going "balls-to-the-wall" every gear and driving the car like a nutcase many people claim they can be fine with up to around 400 HP.
    Happy Modding

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Tranny rebuilds will cost you about $6k
    Engine rebuilds will cost you about $6k

Figure $12k between them.

AP is a good beginner's mod. If you want to save some cash, a Tactrix OP2.0 costs about 25% that of an AP.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Thanks guys, that helps. Mike, how abusive were you to your STI? Were you just driving aggressively, or were you launching it? I enjoy driving a little aggressive and getting into boost, but I don't go too crazy (I think?). I never launch it and have never been to redline. Did you pay to have your engine rebuilt/replaced or was it warrantied?

never been to redline? then why mod, just curious? i would think most people looking to mod and more power already try to tap into everything they have and then find out they want more. i think max hp is at 6k which is essentially redline... have some fun! although i do try to short shift it a bit around 5500 when driving aggressively, but i hit 6k multiple times a week. mostly in 1st or 2nd gear. is this driving too hard?

Quote Originally Posted by santorex View Post
    never been to redline? then why mod, just curious? i would think most people looking to mod and more power already try to tap into everything they have and then find out they want more. i think max hp is at 6k which is essentially redline... have some fun! although i do try to short shift it a bit around 5500 when driving aggressively, but i hit 6k multiple times a week. mostly in 1st or 2nd gear. is this driving too hard?
    A few reasons I guess. Every thread I read where someone mods to stage 1 or stage 2 loves it. Also, I heard that you get into boost at a lower rpm range. This green torque curve makes me think that city driving will be even more fun than it already is. And..... I can't help but tinker with things. That's why I buy google nexus devices.

Just go stage 1 with either an AP/Open Source. You won't regret it.

Posted from a fone.

Research open source, Learn it don't spend money on the AP. You can go OS and buy a downpipe for less than the total price of the AP without the downpipe.

If anyone blows up their car with a stage 2 tune or less.... assuming the tune is a reliable tune, then it's the drivers fault. People buy a WRX or STi and think they are pro drivers, dropping clutches, launching every light, redline shifting... Guess what your car wont last 20k miles.

If you want a car to rag on a car go buy an old 5.0, parts are cheap and they are pretty tough.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Quote Originally Posted by dan5505 View Post
    Thanks guys, that helps. Mike, how abusive were you to your STI? Were you just driving aggressively, or were you launching it? I enjoy driving a little aggressive and getting into boost, but I don't go too crazy (I think?). I never launch it and have never been to redline. Did you pay to have your engine rebuilt/replaced or was it warrantied?
    I never launched it on dry or even wet pavement, I only launched it 3 times on a wet sand road, tire spun all the way through 4th gear, jeez what a tool I am, looking back thinking how cool I was for doing that, LMAO. Anyway, before I go on, everyone please keep in mind this is previous immature behavior and I have since moved on and grown-up. So the car was launched 3 times at 5k RPM's, and I was doing about 65 down the sandy roads, veering into 4-5 inch deeps puddles. I also have to say I recall a few powerslides in 2nd gear bouncing off redline. Those stunts were all on the sandy backroads I had come across but other then that I didn't do much stuff on pavement besides absolutely thrashing through every single gear every single chance I had. This clearly did much strain on the car, and I was told the over-all end of the first engine was due to a 'valve stopper' blowing through into the cylinder and eventually oil pan; Which I was told was due to over-revving the engine. Although this is horrible for the vehicle, I've realized another perk to driving easy, When I used to pin it every single chance I had I quickly got tired and unimpressed in the power the car was producing. Maybe its that I'm stage 2+ now, but I find that when merging onto the parkway (the only time I really brap through 2 or 3 gears nowadays) the car has more impressive power and acceleration.

Did Stage 1 w/ SF intake last night out on the street. took an hour to install them both and flash the stage 1. minimal tools as i keep all my tools in my parents garage. Car feels smoother, and will only get better. I have zero regrets. Go for it. or stay bone stock. but do yourself a favor and stop "worrying" about all the what ifs and enjoy a tuner w/ a great reputation, and a car with a great reliability track record. or don't mod at all...

Go for it

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DaLeCal
    Did Stage 1 w/ SF intake last night out on the street. took an hour to install them both and flash the stage 1. minimal tools as i keep all my tools in my parents garage. Car feels smoother, and will only get better. I have zero regrets. Go for it. or stay bone stock. but do yourself a favor and stop "worrying" about all the what ifs and enjoy a tuner w/ a great reputation, and a car with a great reliability track record. or don't mod at all...

Go for it
    Every car will react to a base map differently. Logging is key. Start a thread of your own if you want some input...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC