WRX uppipe, downpipe, exhaust questions. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX uppipe, downpipe, exhaust questions. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Will most likely stay stock motor and stock turbo for a good long while with just "stage 2" mods/tune. Im ...

Will most likely stay stock motor and stock turbo for a good long while with just "stage 2" mods/tune. Im just curious if catless uppipe/downpipe/stock catback + stage 2 tune would be good, or if catless uppipe/downpipe/catback + stage 2 tune would be much better (more than a 5hp difference) than stock catback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Depends on your other modifications .. if you're running a large turbo then a good catback and headers can open up a lot of power. On stock turbo the power gains from a catback would be negligible. You can gain some power from a decent equal length header
    . But for you're money you would be better off buying a larger turbo if you're just after more power.
    +1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 05WagonRX View Post
    Will most likely stay stock motor and stock turbo for a good long while with just "stage 2" mods/tune. Im just curious if catless uppipe/downpipe/stock catback + stage 2 tune would be good, or if catless uppipe/downpipe/catback + stage 2 tune would be much better (more than a 5hp difference) than stock catback.
    Staying stock motor and Turbo stage 2 gains are similar in what you will net. A good estimate is about 50+whp with a good tune. However each car will see different whp gains then the one beside it someone going stage 2 might only see 20 whp while the car next to it will see 50whp

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

No.. a good ELH would probably make more than 5hp, but it will also cause your turbo to spool later (and you will need a custom tune).

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    No.. a good ELH would probably make more than 5hp, but it may also cause your turbo to spool later (and you will need a custom tune).
    It depends on the header...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It depends on the header...

Depends on the turbo too. I dunno if there is a header out there that will spool a stock turbo as quick as the stock manifold. Although my Perrin ELH was spooling the vf22 pretty dang quick.

ok. stock 2.0 wrx engine and stock turbo. would it be ok to run catless uppipe, cobb down pipe, and stock catback with stage 2 tune? or would there be a problem going into the stock catback?

That will be just fine.

Ok, I was just making sure that the Cobb catted downpipe will bolt up to the stock catback without any problems. Thanks guys!

Yep that should work.

So the Cobb catted downpipe will bolt up perfectly to the stock catback, and maybe one day a Cobb catback?
    Or is there a better catted downpipe that bolts up to the stock catback? I just want a catless uppipe , then a downpipe with one highflow cat to stock catback plus stage 2 tune. Which catless uppipe do you recommend? Which catted downpipe do you recommend to bolt up to the stock catback?

I like the grimm speed up pipe. It has a flex joint. Just beware that you'll need to get rid of the egt code it'll throw since it doesn't have a egt bung built into the uppipe many other up pipes are like this too. I think its a 2.2ohm 1/2watt resistor you'll need. Invida makes some good down pipes.

Its all preference on what you wanna get really since its your car.

Are there any aftermarket downpipes that are meant to bolt up to the stock catback, or are they all meant to bolt up to larger aftermarket catbacks?

Are there any aftermarket downpipes that are meant to bolt up to the stock catback, or are they all meant to bolt up to larger aftermarket catbacks?
    Cobb, I'm pretty sure.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast