Fuel pump for stage 2?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fuel pump for stage 2? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking to get a protune for my wrx now that I've got stage 2 done. Called a shop that a ...

Fuel pump for stage 2?

Looking to get a protune for my wrx now that I've got stage 2 done. Called a shop that a few wrx/sti owners at my work have gone to and really had a good experience at (Goodspeed Performance in Scottsdale, AZ). The tuner I talked to said they won't tune stage 2's w/o an upgraded fuel pump as the duty cycles get too harsh on the OEM at higher RPMs.

Hadn't even considered this upgrade... thoughts? Anyone with Goodspeed protune experience?
    -Corey

2011 WRB WRX - Stage 2+
    Invidia TBE, AEM CAI, PW TMIC
    295whp/305w torque

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Godspeed is a brand many stay away from here. Many members as well as I run a stage 2 setp on stock fuel pump with no problems.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    Godspeed is a brand many stay away from here. Many members as well as I run a stage 2 setp on stock fuel pump with no problems.
    he said GOODspeed, not GODspeed. lol

i've never heard of anyone requiring an aftermarket fuel pump for stage II. my tuner protuned mine on the OEM one.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post

i've never heard of anyone requiring an aftermarket fuel pump for stage II. my tuner protuned mine on the OEM one.
    Yeah he said they're the only shop around here that requires it for them to do the tune so I was curious. Had talked with Forced Air Technologies and Dyno-Comp who are also pretty well reviewed from everything I've seen on google reviews and NASIOC and they both don't ask about the pump so bit skeptical. Plus they're looking for $375/hr for a tune and the others are ~$100 less...
    -Corey

2011 WRB WRX - Stage 2+
    Invidia TBE, AEM CAI, PW TMIC
    295whp/305w torque

I Support ClubWRX

It's actually quite common. In 3rd gear at WOT, my IDC is 96%. I could certainly benefit from a larger fuel pump, although I could probably get by without it.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

he said GOODspeed, not GODspeed. lol.
    woops cant read
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I would think with an upgraded pump you could squeeze out a little more power/run a little more boost..but I don't see why it would be mandatory..

Go to a different shop, you really don't need a different pump at stage 2. If you must, why not Walbro?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Replacing the pump isn't a bad idea, most can get away without it, but it will give you more overhead in case something goes wrong (you always want to make sure you have plenty of fuel). The Walbro 255lph is cheap enough I don't see any reason not to.

I have a modification path you don't want to follow, but I found out the hard way in a sad attempt at a stage 2 tune, and WOT in 3rd at 6500rpms on the stock gear ratio is enough to make the ECU freak out. I assume that is what happened, there was a severe fuel cut and the car stuttered, stalled, restarted due to already-present fuel, and was OK again. Upon asking my mechanic what that was being caused by, he reminded me about our previous conversations about injectors/pump/tune and that all 3 should be done at once, that 550cc injectors are just over the ability of the stock pump once an tuning is up for the doing. You CAN do it, but for headroom as stated, and safety as stated, basically the same thing stated two different ways, it isn't a foolish 45 minutes and under $200 investment in the durability of the fueling system. This is one of those "don't cheap out" things, since it isn't something you can just whip back together on the side of the road without tools. My opinion, your car. Anything that breathes better is going to need to drink more. Especially if you put more fire under it's butt.

I Support ClubWRX
    i never needed one for my stage 2
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 116Fanatic
    I would think with an upgraded pump you could squeeze out a little more power/run a little more boost..but I don't see why it would be mandatory..
    Clark has expressed his issues with fuel pumps before, where they start not to provide adequate flow. It's something he wants on the car for your/his safety. If he's going to be tuning the car, listen to his advice.

I installed a Walbro when I went S2
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Get the DW 65c pump. It's $150 and take an hour to install at most.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    I have a modification path you don't want to follow, but I found out the hard way in a sad attempt at a stage 2 tune, and WOT in 3rd at 6500rpms on the stock gear ratio is enough to make the ECU freak out.

No, the stock ECU is more than capable of handling far beyond simple stage two modifications..

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    Get the DW 65c pump. It's $150 and take an hour to install at most.

I'm not sure of the logic behind this, considering the Walbro 255lph pump is more than adequate for half the price.

not exactly a thread jack since it affects the OP...

I was looking online at the walbro and it said 02-07 and 08+ with modifications...what are those modifications or is the site I was looking at have wrong info?
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.