Need Battery advice, its time for a new one
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need Battery advice, its time for a new one within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my first battery lasted 3 years (cali heat kills them), and this one has lasted 3.5 years. While it ...

I Support ClubWRX

Need Battery advice, its time for a new one

So my first battery lasted 3 years (cali heat kills them), and this one has lasted 3.5 years. While it still starts fine, the plastic case is swollen and is leaking acid out of the top and has corroded my factory battery tie down.

So I'm thinking going sealed this time. AGM most likely.

My car has no stereo upgrades, no aux equipment.

How do Optima red tops hold up?

Braille?

any others?

Thanks.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

avoid optima batteries. they are nothing but expensive headaches

I Support ClubWRX
    The original Optima's were awesome. From what I hear quality control has gone down. If you don't need anything special Exide or Interstate are pretty good. Exide does make AGM batteries.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Good to know, I had an Optima red top about 10 years ago and it was pretty good...sad if their price went up and quality down.

I had an exide orbital in my truck about 10 years ago and that thing was a pos. only good thing was the warranty. I think Kragen gave me 4 for free. But I guess that was a long time ago.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    I've always gotten batteries from Les Schwab. Nothing fancy about them, but no problems either, and of course Les Schwab has a great warranty. You have those in Nor Cal, right?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah we have Les Schwabs.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    While it still starts fine, the plastic case is swollen and is leaking acid out of the top and has corroded my factory battery tie down.
    im waiting for mine to go. starts fine but i try to clean off the corrosion from time to time lol
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I ended up having a lot of problems with the newer generation Optima Red Tops.. after switching to a Yellow Top I haven't had an issue. They don't come cheap though, and they're heavy as hell.

I Support ClubWRX
    I decided against buying a new battery for the Impreza even though the car needed one. Instead, I bought a new battery for my wife's SUV! I then took the "old" battery from the SUV, that was perfectly fine, and shoehorned it into the WRX by trimming the casing and the battery box.

This killed two birds with one stone: I don't have to worry about my wife's battery going bad since she has a new one, and I don't have to worry about the WRX's battery since it's now got much higher CCA.

I now have a Group 24FS in the Impreza rather than a Group 35.

Behold:

Battery size maximum?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you need different battery cables for the Optimas?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Optima does well as long as it is kept maintained and always have a charge of 11.5 or higher. I have a yellow 660 and a red 900 (CCA) and they both do not handle cold well. I use an Exide stock sized battery in Winter and just keep the stereo under a roar.

Optima is also heavy... fwiw, the performance gains do not outweigh the losses.
    Heat can be prevented to a slight degree by using a battery box, like a Summit Racing or Jegs model, which can be had for not too crazy $.

Once discharged, an Optima does not take recharging well. Not sure why mechanically, I just know from the two I have here. One is a warranty replacement (the RedTop 1050/900) and the second one failed the same as the first. Froze.

Braille is a lightweight battery made for starting and basic functions. I don't recommend them for stereo upgrades or lighting upgrades.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    Optima does well as long as it is kept maintained and always have a charge of 11.5 or higher. I have a yellow 660 and a red 900 (CCA) and they both do not handle cold well. I use an Exide stock sized battery in Winter and just keep the stereo under a roar.

Optima is also heavy... fwiw, the performance gains do not outweigh the losses.
    Heat can be prevented to a slight degree by using a battery box, like a Summit Racing or Jegs model, which can be had for not too crazy $.

Once discharged, an Optima does not take recharging well. Not sure why mechanically, I just know from the two I have here. One is a warranty replacement (the RedTop 1050/900) and the second one failed the same as the first. Froze.

Braille is a lightweight battery made for starting and basic functions. I don't recommend them for stereo upgrades or lighting upgrades.
    Do you need different battery cables? Does the positive cable reach?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you need different battery cables for the Optimas?
    If you get the absolutely correct Optima, no; if you get the almost right Optima, yes. I don't know the part numbers off hand though, sorry; however if you search around you will see there are two different configs one can buy. Ostensibly both work however only one is a drop in. Shop with care.

I suspect red # 8020-164 could be correct but ignore me, ring Optima directly and ask specifically if you need cables or if it'll drop right in.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-06-2013 at 12:50 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Do you need different battery cables? Does the positive cable reach?

I replaced mine, and I use both top and side terminals. Side for factory ground and starting, top for additional grounding mods and aftermarket power (stereo, etc).

From what I remember, you CAN reach the positive side terminal with the OEM starter cable, but it's stretched real tight and I kept having problems with it. Installing a longer cable was inexpensive and easy.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I replaced mine, and I use both top and side terminals. Side for factory ground and starting, top for additional grounding mods and aftermarket power (stereo, etc).

From what I remember, you CAN reach the positive side terminal with the OEM starter cable, but it's stretched real tight and I kept having problems with it. Installing a longer cable was inexpensive and easy.

What if you bought something like this for the side post to adapt to the factory cables, do you think it would reach?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0365&ppt=C0005
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 03-06-2013 at 01:19 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.