Has anyone actually been slapped with a fine for installing an aftermarket Downpipe?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

This is a discussion on Has anyone actually been slapped with a fine for installing an aftermarket Downpipe? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was wondering if anyone has been slapped with a fine for having an aftermarket downpipe? or if they know ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    310

    Has anyone actually been slapped with a fine for installing an aftermarket Downpipe?

    I was wondering if anyone has been slapped with a fine for having an aftermarket downpipe? or if they know of someone who has gotten a fine. I've been reading over a bunch of the posts about first mods, etc, and haven't read of anyone actually being fined.

    To be honest I'm kind of curious about how you would actually get fined? From an emissions shop?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the Port. ME
    Posts
    2,900
    I Support ClubWRX
    You'd be more likely to fail an inspection than to be fined for it. Depending on where you live and are getting your car inspected of course.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    9
    back when i had my bugeye, i got pulled over for aftermarket exhaust (this is in california - big shocker, i know) and was made to pop my hood. the cop saw my aftermarket dp and even though it was a shorty dp that retained the stock cat, i was cited and required to visit a state ref. the ref made me bring everything exhaust related back to stock and i got to pay fees for their time before he would allow me to pass inspection.

    really depends where you're located and if you get pulled over by someone who knows what to look for and has a lot of time on their hands.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    10
    Besides looking you can tell if a car is catless just from the smell of the exhaust

  6. #5
    Registered User Blackcloud556's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Coeur D'Alene Idaho
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrxasaurus562 View Post
    Besides looking you can tell if a car is catless just from the smell of the exhaust
    Yep.. mine stinks bad after i removed the cats
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2004 WRX. No Kittys, Cobb AP
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

  7. #6
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    21,190
    Newtown, PA? Or Newtown, Conn?

    While yes it is illegal to modify the stock exhaust system in any way, we all for the most part do it. You're more likely to just fail inspection (depending on state inspection/emissions laws) than anything. Really the only place that will fine you heavily for mods like that would be California. PA, you can get away with the equivalent of exhaust murder. Worse comes to worst, all you have to do is swap on the stock downpipe before inspection/emissions...pass it, then swap back til the next year or two.

    Hell in NJ, virtually all new cars come with 4 or 5 year inspection stickers anyway...so you're good for 4+ years til you even need to do it. And even then, they only plug into the OBD-II port to make sure you're monitors are ready and functioning. No Sniffer, no visual anymore.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

  8. #7
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    21,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrxasaurus562 View Post
    Besides looking you can tell if a car is catless just from the smell of the exhaust
    Mmmmmmm I love that smell.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

  9. #8
    Registered User Ruh Roh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pottstown PA
    Posts
    3,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Mmmmmmm I love that smell.
    It smells like bigfoots D*ck!
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Mmmmmmm I love that smell.
    Agreed

  11. #10
    \_(ツ)_/ Rambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5,127
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    It smells like bigfoots D*ck!
    You would know...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

    The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

  12. #11
    Registered User Ruh Roh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pottstown PA
    Posts
    3,278
    Lol Anchorman Sex Panther cologne scene..
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie_hustle View Post
    back when i had my bugeye, i got pulled over for aftermarket exhaust (this is in california - big shocker, i know) and was made to pop my hood. the cop saw my aftermarket dp and even though it was a shorty dp that retained the stock cat, i was cited and required to visit a state ref. the ref made me bring everything exhaust related back to stock and i got to pay fees for their time before he would allow me to pass inspection.

    really depends where you're located and if you get pulled over by someone who knows what to look for and has a lot of time on their hands.
    i'll add that i currently drive an '05 sti with full tbe (catted) and i've never been hassled for it and passed emissions testing even with a stage 2 ots map flashed

  14. #13
    Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz New Mexico
    Posts
    5,742
    I could register and drive around in my car with with the exhaust coming out of my hood. It all depends on the laws where you live. Forget federal law, nobody enforces it.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Newtown, PA? Or Newtown, Conn?

    While yes it is illegal to modify the stock exhaust system in any way, we all for the most part do it. You're more likely to just fail inspection (depending on state inspection/emissions laws) than anything. Really the only place that will fine you heavily for mods like that would be California. PA, you can get away with the equivalent of exhaust murder. Worse comes to worst, all you have to do is swap on the stock downpipe before inspection/emissions...pass it, then swap back til the next year or two.

    Hell in NJ, virtually all new cars come with 4 or 5 year inspection stickers anyway...so you're good for 4+ years til you even need to do it. And even then, they only plug into the OBD-II port to make sure you're monitors are ready and functioning. No Sniffer, no visual anymore.
    Newtown, CT. Just thought I'd pose the question since I've been thinking stage 2 eventually.

  16. #15
    Registered User 11blackwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,830
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Mmmmmmm I love that smell.
    me too
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •