possible exhaust leak?

This is a discussion on possible exhaust leak? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had some weird **** happen to me while I was on my way to get dinner earlier tonight. I ...

possible exhaust leak?

I had some weird **** happen to me while I was on my way to get dinner earlier tonight. I was getting off the off ramp and decided to drop it to 3rd gear as I was going about 45-50mph boost started building rpms starting building.. Then all of the sudden the boost stopped building at 4500rpm and dropped drastically as I pulled into the parking lot I noticed my exhaust was A LOT louder than normal like REALLY loud. The exhaust is only REALLY loud from the get go. then calms down under normal driving. And after the boost stopped building at 4500rpm now I am not able to boost at all. I can give it WOT and the boost gauge will not pass 0 it stays in vacuum all the time. After eating dinner I popped the hood took a quick look at all visible boost lines they all seemed to be in tact. BPV boost lines were fine and so were the boost lines by the actuator. But what is really stumbling me is the exhaust is extremely loud now like robins car not even exaggerating. So it would lead me to believe a exhaust leak but why would I lose boost with a exhaust leak? Any help please.. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Because you have a boost leak, not an exhaust leak =)
    When you say it stays in vacuum, it only moves from 0 down right?

Check your connections from your turbo out to... well essentially your cylinder heads. Spray soapy water on any connections and go for quick drive. Bubbles = leak location.

Check your connections from your turbo out to... well essentially your cylinder heads. Spray soapy water on any connections and go for quick drive. Bubbles = leak location.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post

A boost leak would make your exhaust much louder though? I didn't think that would happen lol.

Yeah and the boost gauge wont go past 0. If i give it any more throttle then normal it wont go past 0 it stays at 0.

It wont make your exhaust louder, it'll just make a loud.... well exhaust noise since air is being forced out of a leak by the turbo. If you had an exhaust leak you'd be overboosting. Been there, done that.

You're saying it makes it seem like the exhaust gets louder cuz you're hearing the boost leak? Cuz my problem is my exhaust is legitimitely louder then before it reverberates off cars and fences and **** more than it ever has before. Like when I say its as loud as robins car I'm not kidding lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan
    A pre-turbo exhaust leak could cause an issue getting into boost, and would also cause the exhaust volume to increase, similar to the cutout Robin has on his car. A blown-out flex section in the uppipe, for example...
    Last edited by EJ257; 02-28-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Hmmmm that would make sense. But it would have to be pretty damn bad for it not to be able to boost =/ melting burning bad?

Posted from a fone.