first subaru need advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on first subaru need advice within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys im new to the forum so bare with me. i just recently bought my first subaru its a ...

first subaru need advice

hey guys im new to the forum so bare with me. i just recently bought my first subaru its a 2002 wrx i bought it with 103k on it. it has VF39 turbo, 650cc injectors TGV deletes, phenolic spacer, 3in custom exhaust no cats, perrin inlet pipe, 255 fuel pump, intake, 4in bellmouth downpipe and other bolt on such as suspension etc... but anyways i have 2 buddies of mine with stock wrx's same year. and i wanted to pretty much go stock again would it be worth it to trade one of them my parts for their parts with $500 on their end. but i would keep my exhaust intake inlet phenolic spacer and downpipe. and also my car has an open source tune from TPG tuning but if i trade then im going to clear my ecu with my buddies accessport. so please give me all advice possible thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The car is tuned for the parts that are on it . If u start swapping parts and its not going to run right . Also just cuz u clear the ecu with a buddies accesport does not mean its going to put the stock map back on . You would have to have the stock map flashed back on . Thn if u did do all that u would need a tune anyways if your going to keep the exhaust and inlet and such . So your not really doing yourself any good . If its running good and you aren't going to be able to afford having it retuned then id say leave it alone.

Yeah the car has a tune for the parts. Before I bought the car it had a 16g turbo instead of the vf39 and it had a front mount now it has a top mount. Would it still run good the way it's set up? Also I should add I bought the car 98%done just had to put the exhaust inter cooler and all on. But I did all that except the exhaust wait on o2 sensors but I did crank it and its sounds great. Sorry it's confusing but really need advice

I Support ClubWRX
    If what you are saying is that the car was tuned with modifications that are no longer on it, then the opensource tune most likely is not going to work properly with the other parts that you put on the car after you bought it.

The only parts that changed were turbo 16g to vf39 and front mount intercooler now has front mount how bad can it be to drive it

I wouldnt be driving it hard until you get some type of map for the vf39 since its still tuned for the 16g.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobg16 View Post
    The only parts that changed were turbo 16g to vf39 and front mount intercooler now has front mount how bad can it be to drive it
    What do you mean by this? Front mount intercooler now has front mount?

And the changes you are describing would definitely require a new tune. No one can tell you exactly how bad it can be to drive it, but trust me, it is not good.

So you changed the turbo and intercooler. And you think the map you have is still ok? Well it's not. You need a tune for the particular turbo you have. Even on the mod friendly bugeyes.....
    Why do you want to go back to stock anyways? I noticed nobody asked yet.

sorry it had front mount now has top mount. i want to go stock cause i want the car to last i dont need 303hp to the wheels. is there anyway i can use my friends cobb ap and put my computer back to stock then unmarry it so he can use it again. or just trade ecu for ecu

needs to be tuned for that turbo and different intercooler. 303whp is fine and many members have more than that and have reliable bugeyes. its how u drive it. launch it every redlight say goodbye to your trans. drive it nice and do some spirited runs and you should be fine. And those numbers were from the 16g anyway when u got it tuned correct? if u want to trade parts with your friend for his stock parts u will need a retune. either way youre going to need a tune. the acessport if its saved to his car will need to be unmarried to his car then hooked up to your car which doesnt have the stock map on it so the stock map can not be reflashed back to your car. if u wanted his stock map u can not get it because the Acessport is married to his car, unless u would swap the ECU's i believe. another member can confirm that.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

So can I swap ecu or will that mess my motor

yours is a 2002 wrx and what is your friends? same car?
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Subaru advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    yours is a 2002 wrx and what is your friends? same car?
    Yes same car and same year sorry can't find the reply button lol

Yes same car and same year

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Switching from the FMIC to a TMIC, the car absolutely needs a new tune. The air entering your cylinders has had less charge cooling, so the car will likely be seeing detonation. Furthermore, the boost dynamics on a VF39 are different from a 16G. Have you done any datalogs?!
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast