Reliability mods - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Reliability mods within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I guess my earlier post was eaten by server gerbils. Curse you, Server Gerbils!!! Anyways, earlier I said that the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess my earlier post was eaten by server gerbils. Curse you, Server Gerbils!!!

Anyways, earlier I said that the term "reliability mod" was oxymoronic, but there are a few things I guess you might call "reliability mods":

1. Proper maintenance and repairs with OEM parts, except as below:

2. Intercooler hose T-bolt clamps: the stock worm gear clamps can and frequently do work loose over time, leading to boost leaks. Cheap and worthwhile safety mod for any car.

3. Silicon Intercooler hoses: older cars have plastic hoses that can crack with age. 3rd gen cars have an intercooler design prone to cracking. Silicon hoses are great if you have cracked OEM hoses (like I did), but unless you have a boost leak, as proven by logs, I wouldn't bother. A cracked intercooler can only be replaced. Process West makes a popular one. This seems to be happening on the new cars at Stage II power levels.

4. 3rd gen cars seem to have more leaky BPVs at STGII boost levels compared to older models. A top quality Bypass Valve (NOT blow off valve!!!) may be needed. The Halman Pro RX is a name I've heard good things about. Consult with your tuner.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I guess my earlier post was eaten by server gerbils. Curse you, Server Gerbils!!!

Anyways, earlier I said that the term "reliability mod" was oxymoronic, but there are a few things I guess you might call "reliability mods":

1. Proper maintenance and repairs with OEM parts, except as below:

2. Intercooler hose T-bolt clamps: the stock worm gear clamps can and frequently do work loose over time, leading to boost leaks. Cheap and worthwhile safety mod for any car.

3. Silicon Intercooler hoses: older cars have plastic hoses that can crack with age. 3rd gen cars have an intercooler design prone to cracking. Silicon hoses are great if you have cracked OEM hoses (like I did), but unless you have a boost leak, as proven by logs, I wouldn't bother. A cracked intercooler can only be replaced. Process West makes a popular one. This seems to be happening on the new cars at Stage II power levels.

4. 3rd gen cars seem to have more leaky BPVs at STGII boost levels compared to older models. A top quality Bypass Valve (NOT blow off valve!!!) may be needed. The Halman Pro RX is a name I've heard good things about. Consult with your tuner.
    I guess I shoud have used the term "upgrade".. whatever But thanks for the suggestions. I have heard nothing but bad things about BOVs, and Im currently looking at the Forge BPV but Ill also look into the Halman.

If you are getting the bpv for the sound I'd go with an aftermarket intake instead. You can hear the stock bpv very well with a short ram intake.

And also thanks for your service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    STU 17
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #117
    WATCH THIS

Im not one who buys Stuff like that for sound or whatever. I like to try and find things that are superior to the oem part and replace it with that.

And you are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by blkbugeye View Post
    things that are superior to the oem part and replace it with that.
    Queue SD_GR in 5...4...3...2...

- Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Reliability was always a key factor when I built my car. I wanted a car that I could drive daily... but still drive to the track, bolt on a set of slicks, and perform well.

With that said..... whenever possible.... I tried to stick with factory Subaru parts. I never skimp, or do things the "cheap and easy" way.

If I had to go aftermarket.... I did the research first, and then chose the highest quality parts available for what I could afford. If I couldn't afford it... I didn't buy it... so I waited and saved.

It's ok to skimp on "some" things. My general rule was that I only skimp on parts that have no moving features. Solid, non-moving hard parts.

Nothing wrong with modding a car. The reason people say never to buy a modified car isn't because modding a WRX or STI greatly depreciates the reliability....... it's because SOOOOOOO many people build a car the wrong (cheap) way.... drive it like an asshat..... and then wonder why it crapped out on them so quickly.

06 WRX - bought new in Jan of 06 - Over $20k in mods - 74k miles - driven daily - never even popped a check engine light, with the exception of having a fuel pump go bad once in 2008. Thats it. I'm making a 1500 mile trip in a couple weeks.... and I'm not even the slightest bit worried about it.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Quote Originally Posted by blkbugeye View Post
    Im not one who buys Stuff like that for sound or whatever. I like to try and find things that are superior to the oem part and replace it with that.

And you are welcome.
    I guess it depends which year you are looking at for 08+ I could see a need per this thread http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468038

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    STU 17
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #117
    WATCH THIS

Damn it, I guess it keeps getting deleted, Im looking at 04-06 STi's

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

The Halman Pro is a MBC..

For BPV I would look at the Forge Recirculating Race Blow Off Valve, it's a quality unit that works well as long as it's properly sprung/shimmed and undergoes routine maintenance. (most companies use the terms BOV and BPV interchangeably. the real difference is whether it is a reticulating valve, or atmospheric)

Yea, Ive heard good things about the forge peice. Its probably gonna be on my to-do list.

Sorry for the double post, but I have another question, How are the ej207's in regards to reliability?

I Support ClubWRX
    In theory better due to parts selections made. However you will need to map it, consider the valve train, and decide whether a motor over a decade old is worth purchasing at high price vs. a new short block that will have more displacement. In any case a stronger in theory motor won't last long if it's used as an excuse for drastic tuning. Luckily at this stage you need neither.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yea, Im not going for big power or anything crazy.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The ej207 has better oiling.. which in theory would be more reliable if you were reving high and bought a car that it came in stock.

Yea, the other thing is that they are expensive ennough, and cars that have been swapped with them dont come up for sale too often.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast