EXHAUST & INTAKE 09 WRX SEDAN

This is a discussion on EXHAUST & INTAKE 09 WRX SEDAN within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all... So...I am quite new. Still. Lots to learn about these fantastic cars. I am in love with my ...

I Support ClubWRX

EXHAUST & INTAKE 09 WRX SEDAN

Hello all...

So...I am quite new. Still. Lots to learn about these fantastic cars.

I am in love with my 09 Subie WRX Sedan. I have had it for over 3 months now and enjoy it.

However, its simply too quiet! Way too quiet!

I have been researching and researching...but have figured out I cannot just throw on some fancy mufflers to get the effect I want.

I want my car to sound serious. I figure...may as well get the performance increase out of it too. So i started thinking intake and exhaust.

My question is...what do I buy? Cost is always a concern...but I like to buy whats proven. I am not opposed to dishing a few $ more for stuff that just works and fits better. Names like COBB, invidia, borla, and then there are uppipes, downpipes...and cats...im a retard in this category...and need help or direction as to what I should order up.

I have also learned that for me to upgrade the exhaust and intake...I will need some kind of tuning. I have sourced a reputable shop about 3 hours from where I live. They are called ROCKET RALLY. Any BC members ever dealt with them. They have a fabulous reputation and are actively involved in rally racing. I will take my car and all the parts to them when I am ready. I am sure they can help me decide as well...but I wanted the opinions of forum members.

I have a completely stock 09 WRX Sedan. I want a full turbo back exhaust. I will pay extra for quality and fitment. I also want a cold air intake. What should I get? What systems work the best and compliment eachother the best. What is the best for fitment?

The more research I do, the more I am confused. Any ideas, suggestions and experiences you guys can offer would certainly help me make an informed decision.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It is tough to say what exhaust is the best because it boils down to personal preference on sound. They sound a lot different from each other. I would recommend going to a meet and listening to as many as you can and deciding which one you like best. I know that doesn't help much, but really with something so expensive, it is worth the time to look into it before you purchase. There are a lot of good names out there like, invidia, nameless, turboxs, and the list could go on and on, but again it is all preference.

For the intake, if you are going to get a protune than ask them what intake they prefer to tune with.

I Support ClubWRX
    What type of emissions requirements do you have there? That will determine whether you're able to buy a catback or turboback exhaust. There really isn't a "best" exhaust, but for the catback portion, hit up local meets and hear what different ones sound like. See if you can get some seat time in the car and have the owner drive you around a bit (hearing it outside the car at idle and revs doesn't give a clear indication).

Because we have MAF-based fueling, changes to the intake will alter the fueling; different intakes will have different effects, so it's generally a good idea to be able to monitor/alter the MAF scaling when you replace the intake.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I completely agree with what these guys said. I have a silver 09 sedan too . FWIW, I have an AEM CAI, Invidia catted dp, and spt exhaust. Its not too loud and doesn't drone, but you can definitely hear it when you get on it.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I Support ClubWRX
    That is good info guys. Never been to a "meet" before. Will look into that.

Not sure if there are clubs in Vancouver, CANADA...but sure would love to join.

There are IMprezas around...but far and few between. Mostly East Indian guys where I live...and they just stare at me funny with their Lexus cars and Cadillac Escalades. Ohh...and I have chewed up a couple mustangs too. LOL!!!! I am an odd one out with my car.

Anybody here from Vancouver, Canada!???? I will also check with some local shops.

I will certainly wait before spending my money. I have also heard lots of clips on youtube...but still tough to say what is better or worse. Thanks for the opinions guys.

I Support ClubWRX
    To EJ257..indeed...I will have to keep Cats on to avoid failing stupid emissions tests here in Vancouver.

So...I guess "turboback" is out. It will have to be a performance catalytic system.

I also understand the fueling and air flow concept. Whatever and whenever I go ahead with these mods...it will be done by the pros at Rocket Rally. They will be a good source of info I think. Once I have saved up enough dough..I will have them put it on.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    So...I guess "turboback" is out. It will have to be a performance catalytic system.
    Replacing the stock cats with a high-flow cat IS a "turboback" modification and will require a tune.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    To EJ257..indeed...I will have to keep Cats on to avoid failing stupid emissions tests here in Vancouver.

I also understand the fueling and air flow concept. Whatever and whenever I go ahead with these mods...it will be done by the pros at Rocket Rally. They will be a good source of info I think. Once I have saved up enough dough..I will have them put it on.
    As zax mentioned, you could probably go turbo back exhaust (although I am not too familiar with BC emissions standards/inspection specs), but you would want to get a catted downpipe as opposed to a catless downpipe. You would probably want to go catted regardless to avoid boost leak. If you just go cat back exhaust (so you keep your stock downpipe), then you are just bolting on a noise maker with really no noticeable gains at all.