Actual Mid/Y pipe gains

This is a discussion on Actual Mid/Y pipe gains within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I currently have the NP axle back with 5" mufflers on my 2011 WRX 4-door. I contacted Nameless Performance about ...

Actual Mid/Y pipe gains

I currently have the NP axle back with 5" mufflers on my 2011 WRX 4-door. I contacted Nameless Performance about completing my system to a full turbo back and they sent me dynos that showed substantial gains going from stock exhaust to just a cat-back. I know this is a debated topic with those saying there are no gains to be had from upgrading the mid/Y pipe and those that counter with the restriction argument. However, these dynos do show gains and I'd like to share them with you. I'd also like your opinion, based on these dynos, proven numbers, and first-hand experiences if getting an upgraded mid/Y pipe would be worth it. The first is torque, the second HP on an STI with the mods listed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torque.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	112150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horsepower.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	112149

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    They are using some arbitrary point for the HP dyno run, 3334 RPM? Peak HP is nearly 2k RPM further up the powerband, why are they comparing it at 3334 RPM? Same thing with torque, to me it looks like they just did a search for the largest gap in HP or TQ and just said, see we give you more power with a catback. If you look at peak TQ and peak HP, the catback seems to add ~8-9 hp (looking at roughly 5400 RPM for that), and ~10 ft-lb TQ (looking at roughly 3750 for that).

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd be curious to see the boost plots of the two graphs. It looks like there's something going on between 2.5-3K RPMs, which to me, points to me an issue with MRP...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Also included in the email were the following quotes on the Dynos stating gains. Again, HP first followed by torque. They do not use the same RPM as a benchmark as you mentioned.

Horsepower numbers were as follows:

RPM / STOCK / CATBACK / TURBOBACK / CATBACK GAIN / TURBOBACK GAIN

3334 / 170 / 191 / 202 / 21 / 32
    4108 / 232 / 242 / 254 / 10 / 22
    5104 / 276 / 280 / 296 / 14 / 20
    5942 / 265 / 273 / 294 / 08 / 29

RPM / STOCK / CATBACK / TURBOBACK / CATBACK GAIN / TURBOBACK GAIN

3334 / 170 / 191 / 202 / 21 / 32
    4108 / 232 / 242 / 254 / 10 / 22
    5104 / 276 / 280 / 296 / 14 / 20
    5942 / 265 / 273 / 294 / 08 / 29

I Support ClubWRX
    I can read the graph, I don't need to have individual numbers listed off. Indeed they DO use the same RPM benchmark as I mentioned, what does the very first RPM read? All this is, is more points chosen off the graph...

If you want to get technical here, then I request to see the intake temps, boost plots, timing and fuel, time of the day, something indicative that these runs are indeed under similar conditions. As of right now, all we have is file names of these runs, which mean absolutely nothing.
    Last edited by nopistons93; 02-24-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nopistons93 View Post
    I can read the graph, I don't need to have individual numbers listed off. Indeed they DO use the same RPM benchmark as I mentioned, what does the very first RPM read? All this is, is more points chosen off the graph...

If you want to get technical here, then I request to see the intake temps, boost plots, timing and fuel, time of the day, something indicative that these runs are indeed under similar conditions. As of right now, all we have is file names of these runs, which mean absolutely nothing.
    My bad with the RPM. This is all they sent me, I do not have intake temps, etc. Back to the original question - Assuming that they are the same test conditions, is the purchase of an aftermarket mid/y worth it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by younoleit View Post
    My bad with the RPM. This is all they sent me, I do not have intake temps, etc. Back to the original question - Assuming that they are the same test conditions, is the purchase of an aftermarket mid/y worth it?

I'm not trying to be a jerk to you, but aren't you kind of answering your own question? I mean, you can see the results, what else do you need to know? Are the results above good enough, in your eyes, to warrant spending money on the catback? There isn't anything anyone else here can tell you to make up your mind. Here are some cons to getting a catback..

1) Louder (dB wise), can you deal with that in your area (e.g. are police going to be an issue, neighbors, wife, etc etc)

2) Is your money better spent somewhere else (e.g. Cobb AP for 500 bucks rather than a catback)? You didn't list your mods, so I'm just assuming your stock.

Is that the advice you were looking for? I'm just not clear on what else you want to be told.

Quote Originally Posted by nopistons93 View Post
    I'm not trying to be a jerk to you, but aren't you kind of answering your own question? I mean, you can see the results, what else do you need to know? Are the results above good enough, in your eyes, to warrant spending money on the catback? There isn't anything anyone else here can tell you to make up your mind. Here are some cons to getting a catback..

1) Louder (dB wise), can you deal with that in your area (e.g. are police going to be an issue, neighbors, wife, etc etc)

2) Is your money better spent somewhere else (e.g. Cobb AP for 500 bucks rather than a catback)? You didn't list your mods, so I'm just assuming your stock.

Is that the advice you were looking for? I'm just not clear on what else you want to be told.
    Currently TP Stage 1. Know I'm going to get a DP, but not sure if spending the money on the mid is worth it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by younoleit View Post
    Currently TP Stage 1. Know I'm going to get a DP, but not sure if spending the money on the mid is worth it.
    Well at this point, your basically asking us if you should spend money or not, and that is totally your decision. You are informed on what the gains are, and what the cons are, so I don't know what else you need from us here on the forum. Pull the trigger or don't, that's your choice bud.

I can say that, for the price of a catback, you could get a ProcessWest TMIC (not that it is 100% needed, but if your spending 1k on a catback then this is just as viable of an option), and get an aftermarket re-circulation valve because the stocker usually leaks at Stage 2 levels. Other than that, it's your choice man.

If I was you, I would spend it on other engine mods, and not get the catback. I spent the cash on a catback, and other than it sounding better, I would rather of had a Processwest TMIC.