Big Decision
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Big Decision within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I contacted Cobb wondering if I could run stage 2 with a stock CBE and catted DP. They got ...

Big Decision

So I contacted Cobb wondering if I could run stage 2 with a stock CBE and catted DP. They got back to me very fast and said it is completely safe because cat-backs do little - nothing restriction wise(noise makers). So I have $600, do I make my car a stage 2 sleeper with an Invidia CDP and Grimspeed heat shield or do I go suspension with sways and endlinks? My car is a DD and I do some mountain runs about once a month that I run decently hard. If you have any input please let me know what you think.
    - 2011 WRB WRX Premium Hatch

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Had you searched on here first, you would have saved yourself the hassle of contacting cobb. Anyone on here can tell you a CBE does nothing gain wise.

You don't need a catted DP, but if you choose to use one that's your choice. Why a heatshield? That's going to do very little. Get a DP and a CAI. If you have an AP already then just go with their tune. If not, then I would contact torqued performance (Eric) and go with an opensource tune.

A heatshield is ok, but a turbo blanket is going to keep your temps cooler than anything else. Get the heatshield later.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

I Support ClubWRX
    While the heatshield won't do much for raw power gains, you will be protecting your engine if there are any fluid leaks from cracked lines, and also will be good for preventing heatsoak to the nearby intercooler when you are at a stoplight. You can modify your stock one to fit with an aftermarket DP, or as suggested just buy the grimspeed one. I wouldn't want to not have a heatshield on.

Also, how do you feel with the car at the current power levels when taking corners fast? If you don't like the feel now, then adding more power without any suspension upgrades might not be your best option. Sometimes upgrades to prepare your car for more power are the safer option.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 02-23-2013 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    While the heatshield won't do much for raw power gains, you will be protecting your engine if there are any fluid leaks from cracked lines, and also will be good for preventing heatsoak to the nearby intercooler when you are at a stoplight. You can modify your stock one to fit with an aftermarket DP, or as suggested just buy the grimspeed one. I wouldn't want to not have a heatshield on.
    I don't have one... haven't had one for a while now actually and have had no issues... it's gonna get hot under the hood until the car starts moving either way.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    I don't have one... haven't had one for a while now actually and have had no issues... it's gonna get hot under the hood until the car starts moving either way.
    Yeah no leaks then no problem. I just think that for how inexpensive it is to have one on (especially if you modify stock or buy used) why not? I don't need my seatbelt unless I get in an accident...Just my opinion though.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

So have you had a power steering line crack, spraying fluid on your turbine housing? Because I know someone who did (PS line cracks are common for us), and it burned his car to the ground. Just because your car has survived thus far doesn't mean it's a wise decision.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You don't need a catted DP, but if you choose to use one that's your choice.
    Cobb stage II maps actually state very clearly to use a catted downpipe

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    So have you had a power steering line crack, spraying fluid on your turbine housing? Because I know someone who did (PS line cracks are common for us), and it burned his car to the ground. Just because your car has survived thus far doesn't mean it's a wise decision.
    Nope, not a single issue, no cracks, no nothing. Don't get me wrong, I have been planning to get a heatshield back on the car, but right now it's about money... which I we're low on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Cobb stage II maps actually state very clearly to use a catted downpipe
    If he is using a cobb map, that's fine... i'm just stating that if he were to go OS with a TP map, he doesn't need it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.