Perrin Stage 1 kit!

This is a discussion on Perrin Stage 1 kit! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I was wondering about this kit? I Just got my 2013 blue wrx hatch! I want to start modding ...

Perrin Stage 1 kit!

Hello, I was wondering about this kit? I Just got my 2013 blue wrx hatch! I want to start modding there for is this kit good to start with? Is that drop in filter and tune from Perrin good ? Anybody have used this pack? Thanks!
    https://www.perrinperformance.com/su...ge-1-power-kit

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Perrin Stage 1 kit!

Pretty sure their panel filter is foam, which isn't ideal for filtration vs a paper alternative. The tune? Meh, it's still a base map. If it's any additional expense, I wouldn't bother.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pawer View Post
    Hello, I was wondering about this kit? I Just got my 2013 blue wrx hatch! I want to start modding there for is this kit good to start with? Is that drop in filter and tune from Perrin good ? Anybody have used this pack? Thanks!
    https://www.perrinperformance.com/su...ge-1-power-kit
    I use their map. I like it. The maps are free, as well as any upgraded maps (if you go stage 2 later). As good as a pro-tune? No.

If I were you I would call up Chris at Perrin and tell them you don't want the foam fiter and see if they can drop $40 off the price. I did and it worked.

Thanks guys, Well since the foam filter is not a good idea how about and intake would the cobb one work better and what is that hydrolock you guys speak of when it comes to the aem intake and the perrin one?

Hydrolock is when you suck water in through an intake and into the engine...Can't compress water, so it locks up the engine cause it can't fire. Really only becomes a problem when idiots drive through water that is way too deep to submerge the filter element.

A Cobb intake is ok...AEMs generally net better results, but I'm not sure if the Perrin-sold APs have maps for intakes included on them. Follow map notes for what mods you can and can't have with APs.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

HYRDROLOCK BAD!
    Hydrolock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Usually only a problem if you play U-boat with your car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pawer View Post
    Thanks guys, Well since the foam filter is not a good idea how about and intake would the cobb one work better and what is that hydrolock you guys speak of when it comes to the aem intake and the perrin one?
    Perrin has maps for their intake. I don't think they recommend other intakes for their maps, but I could be wrong. If you get a cobb intake then go with the cobb map. Cobb also has maps for AEM intakes. No matter what set up you have, don't drive through really deep water, it is just never a good idea. If you want to drive through deep water get a jeep