Ceramic coating
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Ceramic coating within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was just wondering if anyone has Ceramic coated an inter cooler? I know it helps keep exhaust systems cooler. ...

Ceramic coating

I was just wondering if anyone has Ceramic coated an inter cooler? I know it helps keep exhaust systems cooler. But would it help an inter cooler?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenR
    would it help an inter cooler?
    No
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The whole purpose of an inter cooler is a hear exchanger, ceramic coating would be a step in the wrong direction.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenR View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has Ceramic coated an inter cooler? I know it helps keep exhaust systems cooler. But would it help an inter cooler?
    It would keep an intercooler hotter, which defeats the whole purpose of it. Intercoolers help lower the intake air temperatures after intake air is compressed by the turbo. Colder air is more dense, and since your engine is just an air pump, it is able to achieve a higher mass flow rate as air density increases. (There's a lot more to it than that, but that's the basics).

Ceramic coatings do not aid heat transfer, they inhibit it. They "keep exhaust systems cooler" in the sense that less heat is allowed to transfer through the exhaust walls and radiate into the engine bay, which means in turn the exhaust gases within the exhaust are hotter.

tl;dr: ceramic coatings are great for keeping heat in, which is the exact opposite of what an intercooler is supposed to do.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    I have, but only because I'm an engine bay queen. As said, no, it doesn't help prevent heat soak at all, but it doesn't really hurt it either....unless you apply enough coats to decrease air flow through the fins of course.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenR View Post
    Definitely NOT..... In an exhaust or turbo component you want to retain the heat within the components to be expedited out the exhaust. You want the opposite In an inter cooler. You want to be able to shed heat quickly. The coating you want for this application is aptly named a "heat dissipating coating". The advantage of these types of coatings is that they are capable of shedding heat faster & more efficiently than the raw substrate could.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.