Stage 2 parts list... am I missing anything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage 2 parts list... am I missing anything within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; COBB DP COBB Tuning Downpipe Catted Bellmouth Subaru WRX / STI 2008-2013 / Forester XT 2009-2011 / Legacy GT MT ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice list man!
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

Just something that jumps out at me, but will the Axleback and DP meet up? Have you got something to replace the midpipe with or are you keeping it? I could be mistaken on that.
    2012 Grey WRX Sedan
    Cobb SF with Cold Air Box
    Agency Power Headers
    Agency Power Catless Downpipe
    Agency Power Cat Back Quad tip System
    FMS Uppipe
    Protuned by Anthony Drunkmann Tuning!

1000cc injectors and dw65c pump for e85 haha

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like you have plenty because all you need for stage 2 is a downpipe and the tune.

Quote Originally Posted by twister8008 View Post
    Nice list man!
    Thx, pretty stoked =D
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexosaurous View Post
    Just something that jumps out at me, but will the Axleback and DP meet up? Have you got something to replace the midpipe with or are you keeping it? I could be mistaken on that.
    I'm keeping the stock mid for now; their site says "Designed for the 2011 Subaru WRX and STi Sedans, the Nameless Performance AxleBack Exhaust is a direct factory fit to the OEM midpipe at the Y" so I think they should meet up fine. If not, they'll go on later
    Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    1000cc injectors and dw65c pump for e85 haha
    If only... not quite ready to go that far although there is a station ~7miles from me
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Sounds like you have plenty because all you need for stage 2 is a downpipe and the tune.
    Fair enough lol

One last one, do I need/should I get exhaust bushings with the axleback?

No need for new exhaust hangers. They are a PITA anyways. The DP will not meet the axleback, the Cobb DP just goes as far back as the end of the stock midpipe.

Question, why are you buying so much Cobb parts? And if i were you i would get a catback instead of axleback.

Edit: Also to save you some money, the Torqued Performance map is like $85ish and a Tactrix 2.0/ Openport 1.3u and a laptop is all you need. Could easily save you like 2-300 depending on if you buy new or used. Also people seem to like the TP map better than the Cobb, i have the cobb stage 2 map and I dont really have anything good to say about it other than its a smooth power curve. Its too conservative for my liking.
    Last edited by Terminal Kuz; 02-17-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.

Spray lube on the hangers and they'll slip right off.

dump any axleback or cbe... it's a waste of money and nets basically zero power. Also, look for other places besides RSD, they are definitely NOT the cheapest place out there to get parts from... and like the other person asked, what's up with all of the cobb stuff? Are you just a cobb fan boy or did someone that was talk you into that?

AEM's CAI nets more power and is cheaper for instance
    Turbo XS bellmouth DP is what I have and it was cheaper
    The heatshield is ok, but if you really want to get your temps down, look into a turbo blanket along with the heatshield.
    Seriously though, ditch the exhaust except for the DP and get a nice TMIC instead... you'll gain A LOT more from it.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

You need to replace all of your exhaust gaskets, not just the turbo flange / DP gasket. Gaskets are really only good for one torqueing.

I'd go for the AEM intake for sure for three reasons:
    1. Dry filter media (no MAF issues)
    2. Cheaper
    3. OEM Subaru parts supplier with proven design

The Cobb DP is 2.5" and will mate with the stock midpipe no problem. The Nameless axleback will also mate to the factory Y pipe without any issues. The DP is by FAR the biggest point of restriction in these cars, so it's definitely the biggest exhaust part to replace. The midpipe will result in some reduced flow / restriction versus a larger aftermarket unit, but it's not going to give you much. Same for the axleback. Personally I think you have a good exhaust setup overall.

A lot of people knock the Cobb tuning because of the price, and some say their maps aren't very good. Personally I think they've created great maps that work well on a ton of cars/mods, with very very low numbers of problems, and great HP/TQ gains. Basically you pay extra to get plug-and-play versus having to take your car to a tuner who might take a couple of days to get the tune done. And there's no guarantee your tuner really knows what they're doing unless you make sure to find a reputable one.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    dump any axleback or cbe... it's a waste of money and nets basically zero power. Also, look for other places besides RSD, they are definitely NOT the cheapest place out there to get parts from... and like the other person asked, what's up with all of the cobb stuff? Are you just a cobb fan boy or did someone that was talk you into that?

AEM's CAI nets more power and is cheaper for instance
    Turbo XS bellmouth DP is what I have and it was cheaper
    The heatshield is ok, but if you really want to get your temps down, look into a turbo blanket along with the heatshield.
    Seriously though, ditch the exhaust except for the DP and get a nice TMIC instead... you'll gain A LOT more from it.
    Haven't ordered the axleback, was going to wait to do that last until I got some feedback from you guys on what it does for restrictions/power. I do however like how it sounds vs stock, so will likely be picking it up eventually. All the COBB stuff because I haven't seen one bad review on their DP, it mates to the stock mid and has a map. Intake, see below... I'm way too new to this scene to have any fanboy tendencies, had no idea even what a CBE was 2 weeks ago.
    Getting the heat shield because the stock doesn't fit and I don't want to mod it to fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Kuz View Post
    No need for new exhaust hangers. They are a PITA anyways. The DP will not meet the axleback, the Cobb DP just goes as far back as the end of the stock midpipe.

Question, why are you buying so much Cobb parts? And if i were you i would get a catback instead of axleback.

Edit: Also to save you some money, the Torqued Performance map is like $85ish and a Tactrix 2.0/ Openport 1.3u and a laptop is all you need. Could easily save you like 2-300 depending on if you buy new or used. Also people seem to like the TP map better than the Cobb, i have the cobb stage 2 map and I dont really have anything good to say about it other than its a smooth power curve. Its too conservative for my liking.
    Conservative is ok, first time doing any kind of tuning. Same reason I'll be getting the AP, know it works and haven't seen anyone complain about it; even you yourself have nothing "bad" to say. So far as ABE and CBE, I think I'll hold off on both for a bit since I keep hearing it won't help performance wise. But do want the exhaust note eventually

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You need to replace all of your exhaust gaskets, not just the turbo flange / DP gasket. Gaskets are really only good for one torqueing.

I'd go for the AEM intake for sure for three reasons:
    1. Dry filter media (no MAF issues)
    2. Cheaper
    3. OEM Subaru parts supplier with proven design

The Cobb DP is 2.5" and will mate with the stock midpipe no problem. The Nameless axleback will also mate to the factory Y pipe without any issues. The DP is by FAR the biggest point of restriction in these cars, so it's definitely the biggest exhaust part to replace. The midpipe will result in some reduced flow / restriction versus a larger aftermarket unit, but it's not going to give you much. Same for the axleback. Personally I think you have a good exhaust setup overall.

A lot of people knock the Cobb tuning because of the price, and some say their maps aren't very good. Personally I think they've created great maps that work well on a ton of cars/mods, with very very low numbers of problems, and great HP/TQ gains. Basically you pay extra to get plug-and-play versus having to take your car to a tuner who might take a couple of days to get the tune done. And there's no guarantee your tuner really knows what they're doing unless you make sure to find a reputable one.
    What other gaskets would I need besides the turbo/DP one? Would appreciate a link to whatever else I will need.
    I went with the COBB SF + box because I'd read about some CAI's that go down as low as the AEM sucking in water. Given, I live in AZ so thats not a HUGE issue, but when it does rain it reallllllyyyy rains, and I take the ride up to ski often and didn't particularly want a CAI hanging low. If you don't think it'll be an issue, have no problem changing that out, but for ~$50 more the COBB short ram takes care of the water concern and the box with intake snorkel provides cold air the same as the CAI would right?

With you on the COBB tuning, and even the tuner I found around town (Dyno-comp who had great reviews on nasioc PHX: Dyno Comp reviews & experience anyone? - NASIOC) said they needed the AP to get the tune with them lol.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, very new to this and still very much learning

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by azsun View Post
    Haven't ordered the axleback, was going to wait to do that last until I got some feedback from you guys on what it does for restrictions/power. I do however like how it sounds vs stock, so will likely be picking it up eventually. All the COBB stuff because I haven't seen one bad review on their DP, it mates to the stock mid and has a map. Intake, see below... I'm way too new to this scene to have any fanboy tendencies, had no idea even what a CBE was 2 weeks ago.
    Getting the heat shield because the stock doesn't fit and I don't want to mod it to fit.

Conservative is ok, first time doing any kind of tuning. Same reason I'll be getting the AP, know it works and haven't seen anyone complain about it; even you yourself have nothing "bad" to say. So far as ABE and CBE, I think I'll hold off on both for a bit since I keep hearing it won't help performance wise. But do want the exhaust note eventually

What other gaskets would I need besides the turbo/DP one? Would appreciate a link to whatever else I will need.
    I went with the COBB SF + box because I'd read about some CAI's that go down as low as the AEM sucking in water. Given, I live in AZ so thats not a HUGE issue, but when it does rain it reallllllyyyy rains, and I take the ride up to ski often and didn't particularly want a CAI hanging low. If you don't think it'll be an issue, have no problem changing that out, but for ~$50 more the COBB short ram takes care of the water concern and the box with intake snorkel provides cold air the same as the CAI would right?

With you on the COBB tuning, and even the tuner I found around town (Dyno-comp who had great reviews on nasioc PHX: Dyno Comp reviews & experience anyone? - NASIOC) said they needed the AP to get the tune with them lol.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, very new to this and still very much learning
    If you are in water deep enough that the AEM intake is sucking in water, you will have quite a few problems on your hand lol. I just installed mine and it seems very well protected from sucking in water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    If you are in water deep enough that the AEM intake is sucking in water, you will have quite a few problems on your hand lol. I just installed mine and it seems very well protected from sucking in water.

Hahaha ok, well I'll be giving RSD and change that out. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post

Do you know how many times that theory has come up? Of course it would cause problems, but do you take your WRX out in water deep enough that it can even reach the AEM filter? More than that, I ask ... would you? Water like that would cause rust and a hold other host of problems besides just sucking in water.

OP: This subject has been done to DEATH. I've had mine for almost 12k miles now with NO problems. I just took it out to clean it actually, and there was really nothing even there to clean. I was told by Eric at TP that the AEM produced the most gains based on his tuning, and he has tuned literally thousands of Subarus over the years.
    Yes, it is possible... but it is far from probable.

Even if you go with an SRI that's cool... all i'm saying is don't worry about everything being Cobb, and don't worry about the axleback right now and get a TMIC instead. You will be VERY glad you did.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast