Car feels underwhelming.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Car feels underwhelming. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I have a 2013 WRX hatch. I have a few mods, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb SF Intake+box and an ...

Car feels underwhelming.

Hi, I have a 2013 WRX hatch. I have a few mods, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb SF Intake+box and an Accessport running the proper map with lwg. I have 7k miles on it.

My question is why does my car feel underwhelming? I have friends that have the similar set up, and it seems they pull harder. Also when shifting, what is a normal loss in boost? It almost feels as if i lose all boost. This is in fact my first AWD car, and my first turbo car. Maybe 4 months mean i need more time getting used to it, but compared to similar, it feels a bit less powered than others. Could there be a boost leak? I don't really want to pay for a check if its not needed so I am hoping for advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    post a log

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    A lot of questions in here can't be answered without datalogging or looking at the car.

And what do you mean normal loss of boost after shifting? The point of the BPV is to release boost pressure when the throttle is let off. Otherwise you'd get massive compressor surge, which is extremelly bad for the turbocharger. Flatfoot shifting is one way to get around loosing all pressure and Cobb does support it for the most part, but you'll always have diminished power between shifts. A word of caution, unless you have money set aside for a tranny rebuild, don't even bother looking into flatfoot shifting.

Look into getting a custom tune with a checkup from a reputable shop near you. You'd be leaps and bounds better off over the OTS AP map you're using right now, plus they can help you identify any current or potential problems.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Thanks for the replies.

Anub1s, when I say loss of boost, when I shift from 2nd to 3rd, its a complete loss. I go from 17 to -10 on my gauge (I'm using the AP as it currently.) As I said before, this is my first time with a turbo, and this may be a normal thing and I am just not aware. I do know the bpv is there to let the pressure out, but I just wasnt aware it would be all of it. I really should read the threads more that people have written up here, sorry. And lastly, I will be getting a tune shortly, Cobb and Yimi are near me, as well as 5150 tuning.

I also did a few logs, but I am not sure how exactly to post the file? Any help please.

Upload your file to any of the free file sharing sites like Google docs.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

This may be one of those "well duh already thought of that" suggestions, but:

Is your traction control off? I know with my winter tires on and just stage 1, if I'm driving hard the TC will kick in when I shift from 1st to 2nd and maybe 2nd to 3rd (don't drive that hard that often).
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.