Turbo upgrade?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Turbo upgrade? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just wanted to start off I'm no mechanic and was wonder what I would need to upgrade my turbo and ...

Turbo upgrade?

Just wanted to start off I'm no mechanic and was wonder what I would need to upgrade my turbo and what else? I'm guessing it'sa stock turbo in my 06 iImpresa wrx tr. I have about 3300$ saved up. anyone suggest what would be the best upgrades for my car? and where I would even have work done to it as I have no tools or garage. I live in Denver, Colorado

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Turbo upgrade?

Well, sounds like your pretty green so I'd like to say welcome! My best advice I can possibly give is A. Google tuning garages in your local area- swapping a turbo is a lot more than what it sounds, mainly cause you do not want to choose a wrong one or wrong supporting mods. The tuner can also help you answer questions like, what numbers do you want to see? What are it's uses? Ect. B. Look through the threads, this topic has been beaten to death, I'VE even asked it lol, so there is a lot of good info out there. Just buckle down, don't get overwhelmed or discouraged, and you should end up with a pretty sweet ride!
    *My Headlights Turn Your Girlfriend On *
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/new-me...ml#post2135638
    -2002 Focus SVT-P.O.S.
    -1997 Subaru Legacy
    -2002 MBP WRX.. R.I.P.
    -2003 Sonic Yellow WRX!!

sounds good. Kinda skeptic as my buddy said some things could go wrong if I upgrade. Idk tho. but ill see what I can Google even tho I Prolly won't know what I'm looking at lol. thanks

Turbo upgrade?

Nah, I'm currently in the process of upgrading my turbo. Ill be running about 450hp, and fully confident that everything will mesh nicely. The basic supporting mods for a bigger turbo (this is very general) is bigger injectors, upgraded fuel pump, a full block-back exhaust system, and a tune.
    -2002 Focus SVT-P.O.S.
    -1997 Subaru Legacy
    -2002 MBP WRX.. R.I.P.
    -2003 Sonic Yellow WRX!!

wow sexy. I want that much hp.. from what I've read, just predicting I'm around 270hp.

Turbo upgrade?

Thank you! I've done it all myself too. She'll turn a head or two lol and yeah but that's a fun number to have! Just enough to kick it sideways a little but not too much to get you in trouble.
    -2002 Focus SVT-P.O.S.
    -1997 Subaru Legacy
    -2002 MBP WRX.. R.I.P.
    -2003 Sonic Yellow WRX!!

right!! but I want more!! I came from a ****ty 97 Honda civic ex.. I'm loving my WRX compared to that civic!! 119hp to 275 =fun.. lol

Turbo upgrade?

Oh yes. Trust me I know lol my first car was a focus svt. Now I'm currently in the process of putting a twin turbo rx7 engine into a miata, chopping the roof off and building a roll cage, and then drifting it allllllllllll day lol
    -2002 Focus SVT-P.O.S.
    -1997 Subaru Legacy
    -2002 MBP WRX.. R.I.P.
    -2003 Sonic Yellow WRX!!

Nice man. I don't have time for a whole lot of fun stuff. my job sucks as I work graves. I just picked up working a 6th day just to help make money for upgrades and payments lol

Turbo upgrade?

I hear yah. I'm a full time mechanic and I work the grave shift for a train company. Gotta make it work!
    -2002 Focus SVT-P.O.S.
    -1997 Subaru Legacy
    -2002 MBP WRX.. R.I.P.
    -2003 Sonic Yellow WRX!!

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd see what a downpipe/tune nets you before worrying about a turbo upgrade.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Ok. I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by xblitz151 View Post
    wow sexy. I want that much hp.. from what I've read, just predicting I'm around 270hp.
    what mods have you done to make you think you have 270whp? even at stage 2 an 06 wont make that much whp. unless your talking stage 2 crank hp then maybe. you didnt mention your mods.

so just an fyi

if your still stock your probably at more like 170-180whp
    if your OTS stage 2 then id guess depending on the dyno about 220-230whp

now as far as upgrading your turbo, if your tired of stage 2 then most people seem to be pretty happy with upgrading your stock td04 to an sti turbo(vf39/vf43 not sure which one, forgot lol.)
    now i saw one member talking about 450hp and you seemed pretty excited. as amazing as that may sound, if this is your daily driver then i highly recommend you rethink this. your stock bottom end wont hold that much hp for long even with the most conservative tune. and your transmission? lol is all i can say

also i think you should drive a 450hp 4 cyl car first. a turbo that can flow 450hp worth of air is gonna be pretty laggy esp when your used to a td04. probably around 4-4.5k for full boost. in fact i think there is a stickied thread regarding "i want a 400hp daily" or something like that. you should read it

EDIT: just noticed your in Denver. so knock about 25-30hp off those figures i stated to account for elevation ^^
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 02-14-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Turbo upgrade?

Agreed^ it's actually the link on my profile, i forgot to suggest it! It has a lot of good info that helped me out when I was first starting out.... And FYI tranny upgrade is next on the list lol
    -2002 Focus SVT-P.O.S.
    -1997 Subaru Legacy
    -2002 MBP WRX.. R.I.P.
    -2003 Sonic Yellow WRX!!

I don't know much about under the hood. according to my friend when he looked at it he just said all these was after market
    intake, manifold, breaks, exhaust, and I think that's it. As for the 270whp I found a site that just did a few upgrades like what I have plus a tune to push 270. I won'tknow eexactly till I get it tuned in a few weeks, and also hoping the place I take it to can explain and show me more stuff. I hate being honest but seriously I know **** nothing under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    what mods have you done to make you think you have 270whp? even at stage 2 an 06 wont make that much whp. unless your talking stage 2 crank hp then maybe. you didnt mention your mods.

so just an fyi

if your still stock your probably at more like 170-180whp
    if your OTS stage 2 then id guess depending on the dyno about 220-230whp

now as far as upgrading your turbo, if your tired of stage 2 then most people seem to be pretty happy with upgrading your stock td04 to an sti turbo(vf39/vf43 not sure which one, forgot lol.)
    now i saw one member talking about 450hp and you seemed pretty excited. as amazing as that may sound, if this is your daily driver then i highly recommend you rethink this. your stock bottom end wont hold that much hp for long even with the most conservative tune. and your transmission? lol is all i can say

also i think you should drive a 450hp 4 cyl car first. a turbo that can flow 450hp worth of air is gonna be pretty laggy esp when your used to a td04. probably around 4-4.5k for full boost. in fact i think there is a stickied thread regarding "i want a 400hp daily" or something like that. you should read it

EDIT: just noticed your in Denver. so knock about 25-30hp off those figures i stated to account for elevation ^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast