CARB Legal in California - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on CARB Legal in California within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, you're not gonna get a downpipe if you want something CARB approved. That's established. Get a stage 1 (pro)tune. ...

Re: CARB Legal in California

Ok, you're not gonna get a downpipe if you want something CARB approved. That's established.

Get a stage 1 (pro)tune. Third gen's can produce some extra power with just a stage 1 tune.

Posted from a fone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Today was contacted by local tuning shop. He said TMIC won't pass smog. But upgrading the TURBO with good tuning is possible to pass smog. Although like other people have said, I don't have to worry about smog in 6 years. I also will need to add bigger injectors and fuel pump with protune.

Other than the legal implication of catted DP, has anyone had problem with CEL long term. I heard this upgrade will help the most in increase power with proper tune.

Upgraded:
    Turbo
    Injectors
    Fuel Pump
    Catted DP
    Protune

Again guys, sorry for being a newbie when it comes to mods....I don't speak the language yet but still learning.

Anyone have this set up and what gains you are seeing?
    2012 WRX PPB sedan
    Foglights installed, Arm-rest extension installed. Upgrades: Eiback F/R sway bar, Kartboy endlinks F/R, Cusco lower chassis brace, COBB AP stage 1 map.

I Support ClubWRX

CARB Legal in California

The easiest route is this:

•Catted DP
    •Tune

~$1000 or less

That alone will get you a ton of power around +30hp +60 tq. After you get there, decide if you want more or not. Most people find it enough.

I would not recommend a turbo upgrade out of the gate since you aren't close to maximizing the one in the car right now.

And a TMIC Will pass smog, I did it with no issues. A FMIC may not pass smog.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    The easiest route is this:

•Catted DP
    •Tune

~$1000 or less

That alone will get you a ton of power around +30hp +60 tq. After you get there, decide if you want more or not. Most people find it enough.

I would not recommend a turbo upgrade out of the gate since you aren't close to maximizing the one in the car right now.

And a TMIC Will pass smog, I did it with no issues. A FMIC may not pass smog.

My brain twisted FMIC & TMIC....but you're right man.

I got a quote:

EQ Tuning
    COBB AP $595
    Catted Nvidia DP $522
    AEM CAI $275
    Walbro Fuel Pump $95
    Hall PRO RX MBC $100
    Tune $350
    Labor $350
    $2290.00

I probably won't get TMIC for now.
    2012 WRX PPB sedan
    Foglights installed, Arm-rest extension installed. Upgrades: Eiback F/R sway bar, Kartboy endlinks F/R, Cusco lower chassis brace, COBB AP stage 1 map.

I Support ClubWRX

CARB Legal in California

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2012WRX View Post
    My brain twisted FMIC & TMIC....but you're right man.

I got a quote:

EQ Tuning
    COBB AP $595
    Catted Nvidia DP $522
    AEM CAI $275
    Walbro Fuel Pump $95
    Hall PRO RX MBC $100
    Tune $350
    Labor $350
    $2290.00

I probably won't get TMIC for now.
    Not a huge fan of that vendor but a lot of people like them. And you don't need most of that. You could buy the AP, DP, install and flash yourself. That's the normal price on a tune, so he's not cutting you a deal.

For comparisons sake give FW Motorsport, FLI, and GST a call.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

why so dead set on carb approved and passing smog? no offense but with your responses sounds like u need a carolla not a wrx. i still have plenty of bolt on things to do and consider my car a mild stage 2(tp stsge3 tune) and my car rips. im also in good old save the world california...
    boost is like alcohol, its fun and great in moderation, to much and something's gonna go boom.

I Support ClubWRX
    I always applaud CARB compliance.

It shows manufacturers are serious about the quality of their products. If a maker doesn't care whether their part is legal, what else do they not care about?...

It shows owners are serious about breathing. Before the current standards came into effect, there were days when the air was absolutely horrible. Now, even though there are more cars, there is less pollution.

It's win-win.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I just don't understand if you have nothing to offer here, you don't need to reply.

I want to put the effort the learn as much and know the products that will achieve my goal doin it responsibly even if one or two individuals doesnt match their views.
    2012 WRX PPB sedan

I just don't understand if you have nothing to offer here, you don't need to reply.

I want to put the effort the learn as much and know the products that will achieve my goal doin it responsibly even if one or two individuals doesnt match their views.
    2012 WRX PPB sedan

I Support ClubWRX

CARB Legal in California

You already know the issue with live, on the street CARB problems: it can be very costly. So your practical problems are:

Stealth while driving.
    Smog in 6 years or when you sell the vehicle.
    Breathing.

The most reasonable compromise is a catted downpipe and tune provided the mufflers are not flashy. A turbo and injectors can fly under the radar but if heat shields are missing I'd notice. Id notice a TMIC too so one without logos might be a smaller gamble. An intake is too flashy. All this will cost extra because you should keep the original parts. The car will still be illegal but it won't scream it and you'll have a cat to reduce emissions.

The new smog law requires a visual and a CEL check via OBDII. If your county smogs biannually that's what you'll face. The above could get you by. No guarantees.

That's the bottom line IMO.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    You already know the issue with live, on the street CARB problems: it can be very costly. So your practical problems are:

Stealth while driving.
    Smog in 6 years or when you sell the vehicle.
    Breathing.

The most reasonable compromise is a catted downpipe and tune provided the mufflers are not flashy. A turbo and injectors can fly under the radar but if heat shields are missing I'd notice. Id notice a TMIC too so one without logos might be a smaller gamble. An intake is too flashy. All this will cost extra because you should keep the original parts. The car will still be illegal but it won't scream it and you'll have a cat to reduce emissions.

The new smog law requires a visual and a CEL check via OBDII. If your county smogs biannually that's what you'll face. The above could get you by. No guarantees.

That's the bottom line IMO.

So ive decided I will be using catted DP (not legal) and AEM cai (CARB legal) with sticker number. I may have to wait for another year to upgrade TMIC (legal) and Turbo (can legal with proper tune). I think thats what I gather so far.

So thanks for all your input.
    2012 WRX PPB sedan

I Support ClubWRX

CARB Legal in California

I don't think a turbo will be CARB legal but don't know. Ask the maker.

You will probably need a tune for the intake plus DP.

i did offer you info, hint the reason behind my reply... dont be set on a turbo swap. A- your not going to pass smog, B- give the car a chance with a few bolt ons before doing major modding. my car still looks and sounds like a sleeper and other than my carb approved intake and tmic my car appears stock. the power from stock to my tp stage 3 is unreal for a few bolt ons. theres your helpful info. most def will need a tune for intake and dp. i agree with doing "the right" thing but when laws and the state cut back on recreation and fun then thats my issue. cali makes it harder and harder to do anything, from closing tracks, to restrictions on fuels, etc etc. all negative in my book...
    boost is like alcohol, its fun and great in moderation, to much and something's gonna go boom.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr2012WRX View Post
    So ive decided I will be using catted DP (not legal) and AEM cai (CARB legal) with sticker number. I may have to wait for another year to upgrade TMIC (legal) and Turbo (can legal with proper tune). I think thats what I gather so far.

So thanks for all your input.
    Why AEM CAI? The stock system is a cold air by design. If you buy one, make sure to get the Air bypass Valve.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

AEM CAI have been known to actually add some decent power gains with a proper tune on the GRs where as intakes don't do squat for our GD models.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.