adjustable timing belt idler pullys?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on adjustable timing belt idler pullys? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok i adverted a fraged motor by luck. replaced my timing belt and all the pullys, tentioner. i didnt realize ...

ok i adverted a fraged motor by luck. replaced my timing belt and all the pullys, tentioner. i didnt realize how much a little belt slop could make a motor run so funky. now it is so smooth id almost say that kit was a performance upgrade! gates builds gewd stuff after all. while i was looking up parts i found adjustable idlers. is this a timing fine tuning trick? i am quite sure that after my first timing belt i dont want any more adjustments and am not building any crazy power levels but definitly curious what theyre used for.Attachment 111773 theirs...
    Attachment 111774 whats left of mine. still dont know how i didnt wreck something else, glad i didnt tho

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    From who? There is no reason to have an adjustable idler. The tensioner is self adjusting, but that's the only thing that should move in that system.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX

Those are tensioners

Sent from my magic banana
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Sorry guys that wasn't a great pic to reference from. The one that got my attention had them mounted in the top left and right idler position. As for make I'm not sure, the center of the bearing was red and had a large chrome bolt obviously offset from center on both pulleys. Just a random engine out pic maybe. I'll look again and see if I can't find it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    Sorry guys that wasn't a great pic to reference from. The one that got my attention had them mounted in the top left and right idler position. As for make I'm not sure, the center of the bearing was red and had a large chrome bolt obviously offset from center on both pulleys. Just a random engine out pic maybe. I'll look again and see if I can't find it.
    There is no need to find it. Those are not adjustable idlers. Those are timing belt tensioners. My wifes old Honda used on just like that. No USDM WRX/STI or any 98 Subaru and later would use something of that nature. Some of the older Subaru 1.8L and 2.2's used those.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Cool! Thanks Donkey! I'm still getting used to how smooth my motor spools now with new timing rollers. Its wild. Must be how a wrx is supposed to run, without sloppy timing lol.

GDR
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    Thats Crawford Performance.
    Crawford Performance

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GDR View Post
    Thats Crawford Performance.
    Crawford Performance
    Interesting. Never seen those before. Most just use adjustable cam gears to dial in cam timing.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.