few random modding questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on few random modding questions within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; TUNING - i like all the features in the ap but open source just seems much more worth the money ...

TUNING - i like all the features in the ap but open source just seems much more worth the money not to mention its half the price. so heres a few questions about open source:
    --- can you scan codes,view things such as boost,far, and so on
    --- can you set a launch control
    --- can you see your 0-60 and 1/4 times?

BOOST CONTROL - i know that when using an electronic boost control solenoid you must tune the car but when it comes to a manual boost controller do you need to tune?

WASTE GATE - what are the benefits of a EWG? and what would something like the kit that cobb offers with the up pipe package show in gains? and this does require a tune correct?
    --- External Wastegate Uppipe Kit with TiAL 44mm WG

BYPASS VALVE - when should this be upgraded (not with a BOV i know)

BRAKES - are they really that bad every review i read involving them everyone is bashing them

TURBO INLET HOSE - does one such as the perrin require a tune not much to read on them? at what point does the stock one become restrictive? and will this be ok to use at the lower stages (1-2 maybe 3)

HOSES - will radiator and intercooler hoses be of benefit and do the intercooler hoses need a tune (maybe because they will flow more air?)

FUEL INJECTORS - on the new wrx just want to clarify if they are top or side feed

MAF/MAP - what are the differences and benefits of mass air flow and mass air pressure sensors?

sorry for so many questions but really like to know everything in details and never had a turbo car (actually never even a 4 cylinder or even foreign O_o )
    thanks to anyone who takes time to help me out

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyd13 View Post
    TUNING - i like all the features in the ap but open source just seems much more worth the money not to mention its half the price. so heres a few questions about open source:
    --- can you scan codes,view things such as boost,far, and so on
    --- can you set a launch control
    --- can you see your 0-60 and 1/4 times?
    -You can log parameters. You can't directly see check engine codes without some other software, however.
    -You can get a patch that will allow launch control and flat foot shifting. You'll have to look up tinywrx patches. I have one. It does as advertised.
    -No. I wouldn't trust the Cobb APs 0-60 or 1/4 times anyhow, however.

BOOST CONTROL - i know that when using an electronic boost control solenoid you must tune the car but when it comes to a manual boost controller do you need to tune?
    Boost is just one piece of the puzzle. While you can alter the boost pressure by using a MBC without any form of ECU tuning, you should be taking timing & fueling into account as well. To clarify, I would not advise raising the boost on the car with just a MBC and no engine management.

WASTE GATE - what are the benefits of a EWG? and what would something like the kit that cobb offers with the up pipe package show in gains? and this does require a tune correct?
    --- External Wastegate Uppipe Kit with TiAL 44mm WG

BYPASS VALVE - when should this be upgraded (not with a BOV i know)
    If yours is leaking. What year/model car do you have? Normally they are okay until you are pushing pretty high boost levels.

BRAKES - are they really that bad every review i read involving them everyone is bashing them
    Depends on what you are doing. If you are on a road course, you'll fade the stock STi pads in probably a lap or two. If you are driving like a normal person and not stopping 70-20mph multiple times back to back... you should be okay. I personally am a huge fan of brake upgrades though - the feel you gain from them is nice. Some stainless lines and better pads are relatively cheap and will make a great change in pedal feel if you properly bleed the system.

TURBO INLET HOSE - does one such as the perrin require a tune not much to read on them? at what point does the stock one become restrictive? and will this be ok to use at the lower stages (1-2 maybe 3)
    Normally in the older models, people replace them if they get ripped or just to be safe. In the newer STi's (which use a different intake system anyhow) some tuners seem to be pushing aftermarket turbo inlets surprisingly.

HOSES - will radiator and intercooler hoses be of benefit and do the intercooler hoses need a tune (maybe because they will flow more air?)
    No benefit. A hose is a hose in that sense... unless it is a broken hose. Most people who upgrade them upgrade them for aesthetic reasons.

On a related note, however, you may look into picking up some nice T-bolt clamps in place of some of the worm clamps that hold your rubber/silicone boost hoses together. The worm clamps have been known to break, loosen up, or tear apart softer rubber. Just make sure you get the right size T-bolt clamps, as they have a much more narrow tolerance of pipe sizes.

FUEL INJECTORS - on the new wrx just want to clarify if they are top or side feed
    Unabomber's thoughts on the matter

MAF/MAP - what are the differences and benefits of mass air flow and mass air pressure sensors?
    You just said it... Sort of.
    MAF -> Mass Air Flow sensor -> senses the mass of air flowing at the sensor. Basically a heated wire that is forced to a constant temperature. The more mass of air that flows by it... the more current is required to hold temp.
    MAP -> Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor -> measures absolute air pressure inside the manifold. This is commonly known as boost pressure when you convert it to MRP (manifold relative pressure) by subtracting atmospheric pressure from MAP.

sorry for so many questions but really like to know everything in details and never had a turbo car (actually never even a 4 cylinder or even foreign O_o )
    thanks to anyone who takes time to help me out
    No problem. Check out Unabomber's Manifesto over on NASIOC if you are looking for a nice overview of stuff. Google is always a good friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

ill be getting a 2013 wrx in a couple of months and plan on doing a decent amount of work to it

I Support ClubWRX
    ill be getting a 2013 wrx in a couple of months and plan on doing a decent amount of work to it
    Just take your time and do your reading. Good to hear though =)
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

btw i saw that write up already it only shows up til 09 are they the same as the new ones?

I Support ClubWRX
    btw i saw that write up already it only shows up til 09 are they the same as the new ones?
    On injectors? Yup. To my understanding at least.
    2011 STi Build Log

so 560cc top feed is stock?

and also are open source via romraider/ecuflash? doable with a mac?

and what is needed to convert to side feed?

I Support ClubWRX
    so 560cc top feed is stock?
    and also are open source via romraider/ecuflash? doable with a mac?

and what is needed to convert to side feed?
    Your questions are all over the place bud. You gotta do some reading and slow down a bit. Your car isn't in and you are asking about upgrading the injectors (without even knowing the stock size or orientation) for some reason.

Why would you want to convert to side feed injectors?

I don't believe people run EcuFlash or RomRaider on a mac. I could be wrong.
    2011 STi Build Log

just looking to know about the car and all the upgrades. for the injectors seem to be side feed

Side feed injectors were only used in 04-06 STIs (and LGTs)...why on earth would you care about those?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    What the hell car do you have?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX

Then there is ample time to follow the link in my signature. The answers are there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What the hell car do you have?
    He doesn't

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Side feed injector options suck, most people with sidefeed (04-06 STi) eventually end up converting to top feed. I have no idea why anyone that already has top feed injectors would ever want to convert to side feed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast