2011 WRX Hatch TurboXS Turboback Exhaust install
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Hatch TurboXS Turboback Exhaust install within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yo, Just installed my TBE on my hatch today, figured I would post up the photos and some general considerations ...

I Support ClubWRX

2011 WRX Hatch TurboXS Turboback Exhaust install

Yo,

Just installed my TBE on my hatch today, figured I would post up the photos and some general considerations from this.

I would like to start by saying Fast Tuning Products (Forum Vendor here at clubwrx) was excellent. Shipping was here 2 days after placing the order, nothing banged up, and I got a really good deal from them. Thanks again guys.

The hardest part of this install was the exhaust studs of course. I started at 1600 on Friday 01FEB, but wasn't able to finish, since I did not let the PBblaster soak in long enough. So after letting PB soak all night long, I ended up just installing the cat back, and coming back to the auto shop at 0730 this morning 02FEB. After I got it up on the lift, I took off the stock DP aft section up on the lift, then dropped it and got back to work on the DP studs. They were all easy to break loose after the nights soaking.

Here is a shot of the pre-install of the downpipe, you can see the forward section of the catback is removed here.

Here is a shot of the tips, 3.5" quad tip with bluing. Sweet.

Downpipe is going in here..

Before and after cat back forward section install. Everytime I come around yo city, bling bling!

Perrin heat shield installed.

So what did I learn from this?

1. Let PB blaster soak in long enough, give it a full night, don't rush, and they will break easy.

2. Don't forget it install the old heat shield bracket on your studs after installing the new downpipe, or you'll have to go back and do that!

3. Use a lift, even if Zax and Matty say it's easier on the ground, I think they are just jealous of my awesome lift abilities.

Review of TurboXS Sound.

After doing a few pulls for my cobb logs, I think that is sounds freakin' awesome. It is a bit loud on the HW at ~70, but I was able to hold a conversation through bluetooth, and listen to music at ~24 without it being a major pain. It is louder, bottom line, and you will have to be ready for that. Not much of a dB difference between just the cat back being installed versus the full turbo back, but I will say that the DP added some deep growl. Car spools to 18 psi quickly, and it is quick!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130202_091807.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Great write up, and love lots of pics!

I also nearly forgot the heat shield bracket on mine...luckily I noticed just before tightening everything down. Enjoy stage 2!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Think I've seen your car driving down 264 before after I was leaving Oceana. Def saw a SWP sedan in VB before.

Nice, yep, that's me...did my install just a couple weeks ago at the hobby shop there...

You know of any meets around the area? I've been to cars and coffee, but haven't seen any Subaru meets.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yep, there is a meet today at 4 over off VB BLVD, address is

4725 Virginia Beach Blvd.
    Virginia Beach, VA 23462
    (Old HQ building.)

I'll be there today.

Awesome! I'll probably see you there then.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nopistons93
    I would like to start by saying Fast Tuning Products (Forum Vendor here at clubwrx) was excellent. Shipping was here 2 days after placing the order, nothing banged up, and I got a really good deal from them. Thanks again guys.
    Great to hear!

The hardest part of this install was the exhaust studs of course. I started at 1600 on Friday 01FEB, but wasn't able to finish, since I did not let the PBblaster soak in long enough. So after letting PB soak all night long, I ended up just installing the cat back, and coming back to the auto shop at 0730 this morning 02FEB.
    1. Let PB blaster soak in long enough, give it a full night, don't rush, and they will break easy.
    PB Blaster isn't magic. It need time to work, especially if you live by the ocean or see rock salt in the winter time.

Downpipe is going in here.
    Why would you not wrap the bellmouth section of the downpipe?! You wrapped past the firewall (which is completely useless), and left one of the more important parts exposed. Next time you take the downpipe off the car, you need to fix this. With the TurboXS downpipe being in two sections, the only part to worry about is the entire first piece (don't even bother with the rear section). Did you spray the wrap with silicone spray? Since it isn't the Lava Rock wrap, you should have.

3. Use a lift, even if Zax and Matty say it's easier on the ground, I think they are just jealous of my awesome lift abilities.
    I've done my fair share of downpipe/turboback installs. I've done them on lifts and on ramps/stands. For a catback, absolutely, a lift is great. For the downpipe, where you spend time going from the engine bay to under the car, I'd just assume do the install without a lift, as I've found it to be a nuissance.

After doing a few pulls for my cobb logs
    Link to said logs?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I need to redo the logs, for some reason I didn't record correctly. Meh, I should probably drive a few more miles to let the ECU learn anyway before running hard. As for the DP bellmouth, I was having issues with the clamps I had for the bellmouth, so I have something in the works for that section.

I Support ClubWRX

OK I listened to you. This is the best I could get to stay with the bellmouth opening pushing down. I only have one layer though, I will do another once I pick up more ties. Should be good enough!

I Support ClubWRX
    I need to redo the logs, for some reason I didn't record correctly. Meh, I should probably drive a few more miles to let the ECU learn anyway before running hard.
    When tuning a car, you don't go driving around for a long time getting AFRs to learn for WOT logging, when you have a decent base map to start with. Typically, once you get WOT dialed in, you start doing the cruise/light-throttle and middle-throttle sections in line, and can make adjustments to AFR at that time.

OK I listened to you. This is the best I could get to stay with the bellmouth opening pushing down. I only have one layer though, I will do another once I pick up more ties. Should be good enough!
    Much better. Honestly, though, you only need one wrapping. If you wrap it with 1/2 overlap (what I typically do), you get two layers.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    love those tips
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX

Yea I'm not fully satisfied with the 1/2 overlap, but it is close. I have some extra wrap left anyway, not enough to do an up-pipe or anything but should be enough to do another layer of the bellmouth. I'm doing a MAF cleaning tomorrow and a air filter change so I'll mess around with it then.

ClubWRX.net Vendor Fast Tuning Products's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Glad you like it Sir! Thank you again for your order!
    Available Nights and Weekends Via E-mail and Private Message!!
    We want to Earn your Business!
    Give Us a Call Monday - Friday 10a-6p EST to order by phone!
    724-708-3044
    Need a price matched or beat? Email Us: sales@fasttuningproducts.com
    Like Us on Facebook: www.FaceBook.com/FastTuningProducts
    www.FastTuningProducts.com
    We Accept Paypal/Visa/MasterCard/American Express/AMEX/Discover

I Support ClubWRX

I Support ClubWRX
    got a video clip of the exhaust?
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast