Rebuild EJ205 for project car?

This is a discussion on Rebuild EJ205 for project car? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2004 WRX that has about 170k miles on it. I purchased it new, and it has served ...

Rebuild EJ205 for project car?

I have a 2004 WRX that has about 170k miles on it. I purchased it new, and it has served me well as a daily driver for ~170k miles.

Having just purchased a 2013 WRX, I decided to use the old WRX for a project car and ordered a Factory Five 818 to replace my old Acura 'weekend warrior'.

The WRX engine has been getting slightly weak of late. It burns a little oil, and the turbo is going, but it otherwise runs strong.

I was going to rebuild with forged internals, but I have been doing some research heard some people say its better to just get a EJ207 shortblock or to build a EJ257 hybrid.

I don't mind spending a little money, but don't want to spend a fortune. The short blocks don't look all that expensive, and would save me some time. I am not looking for big power numbers, not sure a car that light could handle it.

Anyone have experiance with rebuilding an EJ205 or doing a hybrid build? If so, I would love to hear your stories/results...

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Last edited by Donkey; 02-01-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Check out this thread.
    To rebuild [with 2.5L block] or not to [rebuild with 2.5L block]

Also a picture heavy build thread is definitely in order for the 818 haha

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've done it (and done it, and done it.. still doing it).. although my story is on the FAR side from typical, so I don't know how relevant it is, other than knowing what you're in for if things go wrong, multiple times.

$3900 would get you a decent built ej257 shortblock to work with, from there I would plan on spending another $1000 on the heads, and an additional $1000 on misc stuff for the build to get it to all come together. After that it's your choice of turbo for power goals, etc. Keep in mind the five speed isn't the strongest transmission so if you were going to go for a decent amount of power I would think about building or replacing it.

2.1L stroker wouldn't be a bad choice either. It would save you some money on buying new case halves. I think a 2.1L with a 16g-XT and STi cams would be a fun project car.

Stroker seems like the way to go...

For the 2.29 kit, I didn't think you could safely bore a EJ205 past 93mm? The 2.1 seems perfect, assuming the OEM STi crank suitable for higher RPM applications (8k)...

Thanks for the links!

I will start a build post when I get the kit, but I don't expect it till 2014 (!!!) The good news it is gives me plenty of time for the engine build.
    Last edited by AFRacing; 02-03-2013 at 06:56 PM.