Tune required for downpipe?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tune required for downpipe? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am looking at doing a high flow cat dp on my 2013 wrx. Do i need a tune to ...

I am looking at doing a high flow cat dp on my 2013 wrx. Do i need a tune to run this? I already have an spt cat-back exhaust and a turbosmart BOV. Not that the BOV makes a difference.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes.
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, you need a tune. Yes,you need to ditch the BOV.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Yes. BOV needs to go
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

why would i get rid of the BOV? no power gain but it sets up car for higher boost and it sounds great! and i figured the tune was required -_-

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Because your car uses MAF based logic to control the fueling. It measures the air coming in and dumps fuel accordingly. With an atmospheric BOV you are dumping that air after it has been measured.. this has a few different effects. One is that the car will run extremely rich for short intervals because it is still dumping fuel for that air you're blowing off. Two, that air you're blowing off could be used to keep the turbo spooled, so by dumping it you are reducing the performance of your turbo. Third, every knowledgeable Subaru owner knows the downfalls to running atmospheric BOVs, so that "great sound" really just makes you look like a tool to those people who know how the car actually works.

Not to mention the fact that most aftermarket BOVs I have seen leak horribly, which once again is bad for your car's performance, if not its reliability.

well the bov has done no harm to the car at all. its set on 50/50 for the spring ratio. Its not full atmospheric blow off. I know not to run the bov full atmosphere. It runs great to be honest and ive lost no power at all. but thank you for saying what you said. I am keeping it for now but i will keep my eye open for any problems.

Still gonna run rich...

Best run a new downpipe with external wastegate if you really care about that noise.

Thank you guys. I didnt do my research obviously. Guilty as charged. Haha. But now I gotta find a way to get rid of this thing and get some real performance.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Still gonna run rich...

Best run a new downpipe with external wastegate if you really care about that noise.

EWG is a totally different noise. .and has little to do with the downpipe. .

Yeah I know, the EWG is on the uppipe. I'm just saying if he wanted some extra weird noise go EWG *shrugs*
    hehehe noise....

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Fish View Post
    well the bov has done no harm to the car at all. its set on 50/50 for the spring ratio. Its not full atmospheric blow off. I know not to run the bov full atmosphere. It runs great to be honest and ive lost no power at all. but thank you for saying what you said. I am keeping it for now but i will keep my eye open for any problems.
    No offence, but you're asking if you need a tune for a downpipe... Something tells me that the only measurement your using for power is you being in the car as you drive it. Any logs to confirm it's still running completely correct, and making the same power?

Quote Originally Posted by twister8008 View Post
    Yes.
    So the engine light will come on with a catted DP???? if not im going to get one and tune it later when i get the Cobb AP

Re: Tune required for downpipe?

It will come on and you will over boost without a tune. Leave it off.

Posted from a fone.

Quote Originally Posted by dacrewlilkev View Post
    So the engine light will come on with a catted DP???? if not im going to get one and tune it later when i get the Cobb AP

Why are you worried about the engine light coming on when you're talking about doing something that can (and will) destroy your engine and cost several thousand dollars to fix? Seems like you need to reevaluate your priorities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast