a different way to get rid of boost lag?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on a different way to get rid of boost lag? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; discussing all things turbo with a friend of mine last night. boost problems came up with his 04 eclipse N/A ...

discussing all things turbo with a friend of mine last night. boost problems came up with his 04 eclipse N/A with a turbo kit. while we were trouble shooting his dad came by and says," bolt a blower on it. no more lag, just like my (600hp) impala. there, fixed." and walked away leaving us to ponder. well, our engines Are build for boost. lots of it. has it been done? even as a experiment? a blown 2.0...it would at least look/sound cool. roots and vane supers are LOUD n whiny. and no lag, theyre always boosting. hmmmmm

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

True, there is no power lag using superchargers, but there is a price to pay. First, they drink gas while turbos can help gas mileage, as long as you don't have a heavy foot. Second, superchargers suck up alot of power to run them.

The Shelby Mustang engine produces 800hp, but 150hp is lost to running the chargers' belt drive, leaving it with "only" 650. The car must still have cooling systems as if it produced the whole 800hp, which add alot of weight to the car. Don't get me wrong, though, if I could afford the Shelby and the gas it burns, it would be in my driveway, yesiree !!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    has it been done? even as a experiment?
    Yes.

However, I was never interested.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Forced Air Technologies out in AZ has done some work with twin-charging the Subaru motors. I never really saw much in terms of results, much less long-term ones.

As for getting rid of turbo lag, what's the specs on your car, now?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Twin-charging is cool in theory, but I'd much rather have a 2L turbo motor than a twin-charged 1.4L.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo058 View Post
    The Shelby Mustang engine produces 800hp, but 150hp is lost to running the chargers' belt drive, leaving it with "only" 650.
    Wow, I didn't realize that superchargers created that magnitude of loss.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    The loss will vary with motor and implementation.

The S4 used the Volumex only for low RPM before the turbo kicked in, and I think they must have had a real science project trying to figure out the transition between VX and turbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTfHQxLSJ9w

EDIT: Here is S4 footage I'd not seen before. Like Subaru did later with the new age Impreza, they had to fix the nose of the S4 back then too.

S4:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViGgVVNrhtI
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    There are several main variants of a super charger (not excluding a turbocharger). Most of which, I personally don't feel are the correct fit for an impreza.

Also, I have yet to see a super charger / turbo charger build that impressed me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    as a guy coming from the mustang world. i had an 05 GT before the wrx. i can tell you that they dont. they do use power to drive the pulley, as i am sure you already know. but not the nearly 20% that he is claiming

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    as a guy coming from the mustang world. i had an 05 GT before the wrx. i can tell you that they dont. they do use power to drive the pulley, as i am sure you already know. but not the nearly 20% that he is claiming

True - but 10% is not uncommon. A quick search:

In all-out racing applications, turbochargers are the undisputed power champs. The rules of thermodynamics dictate this. It takes a considerable amount of power to compress a large amount of air. To generate enough airflow to produce 1,000 hp from your EVO would require sacrificing about 80-120 whp just to turn the compressor. A turbocharger recovers most of this power as waste heat that would otherwise go out the tailpipe. A supercharger takes this power from the crankshaft, subtracting its power requirements from the total. This is called a parasitic loss and is why, especially with high-powered applications, the turbo always wins.

Read more: Supercharged - Turbo Magazine
    The point is - to make HUGE power on a supercharger, you need something to start with. You are not going far with a 2.0l. On smaller motor turbo's are the way to go for bang for the buck; unless you just want to be different.

I'd say it depends on just how much charge you're going to blow into the engine. The charger is nothing but an air pump, takes power to move air and build pressure. The more of that, the more power it takes...

Pretty simple, really.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Besides, if I wanted a V8 i'd get it. I had it, didn't like the way it drinks. That's where the turbo comes in. . .
    Still have the hemi truck, for towing camping trailer (only) and maybe drag home some building materials or such. Otherwise the kinda 'adaptable" engine size based on the turbo makes good sense. Or "changing" compression ratio or whatever you might compare with. Anyways, static charging makes no sense to me, for that I'd just call for a bigger engine - been there, done that. And right now gas prices are on the attack again, the short lull in climbing prices (even dropping) is over...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    That 20% probably combines a the amount of drivetrain loss as well...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX

Interesting example of super and turbo charging. The video is pretty cool.

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2012/t...fastest-lotus/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

damn wrx650 beat me to it.
    Find a low-mileage one-owner unmodified '04/'05 and you're golden.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.