Subaru WRX Forum banner

a different way to get rid of boost lag?

7K views 71 replies 22 participants last post by  Calvinball 
#1 ·
discussing all things turbo with a friend of mine last night. boost problems came up with his 04 eclipse N/A with a turbo kit. while we were trouble shooting his dad came by and says," bolt a blower on it. no more lag, just like my (600hp) impala. there, fixed." and walked away leaving us to ponder. well, our engines Are build for boost. lots of it. has it been done? even as a experiment? a blown 2.0...it would at least look/sound cool. roots and vane supers are LOUD n whiny. and no lag, theyre always boosting. hmmmmm

#2 ·
True, there is no power lag using superchargers, but there is a price to pay. First, they drink gas while turbos can help gas mileage, as long as you don't have a heavy foot. Second, superchargers suck up alot of power to run them.

The Shelby Mustang engine produces 800hp, but 150hp is lost to running the chargers' belt drive, leaving it with "only" 650. The car must still have cooling systems as if it produced the whole 800hp, which add alot of weight to the car. Don't get me wrong, though, if I could afford the Shelby and the gas it burns, it would be in my driveway, yesiree !!!

#6 ·
The Shelby Mustang engine produces 800hp, but 150hp is lost to running the chargers' belt drive, leaving it with "only" 650.
Wow, I didn't realize that superchargers created that magnitude of loss.

#4 ·
Forced Air Technologies out in AZ has done some work with twin-charging the Subaru motors. I never really saw much in terms of results, much less long-term ones.

As for getting rid of turbo lag, what's the specs on your car, now?

#8 ·
There are several main variants of a super charger (not excluding a turbocharger). Most of which, I personally don't feel are the correct fit for an impreza.

Also, I have yet to see a super charger / turbo charger build that impressed me.

#11 ·
I'd say it depends on just how much charge you're going to blow into the engine. The charger is nothing but an air pump, takes power to move air and build pressure. The more of that, the more power it takes...

Pretty simple, really.

#12 ·
Besides, if I wanted a V8 i'd get it. I had it, didn't like the way it drinks. That's where the turbo comes in. . .
Still have the hemi truck, for towing camping trailer (only) and maybe drag home some building materials or such. Otherwise the kinda 'adaptable" engine size based on the turbo makes good sense. Or "changing" compression ratio or whatever you might compare with. Anyways, static charging makes no sense to me, for that I'd just call for a bigger engine - been there, done that. And right now gas prices are on the attack again, the short lull in climbing prices (even dropping) is over...

#15 ·
damn wrx650 beat me to it.

#23 ·
I would just use two step anti lag.. if I were building a Subie with a big enough turbo that lag would be a serious issue. A compound charged system with supercharger/turbo just seems awefully inefficient to me. Plus I would imagine it's a nightmare to tune. The last thing I need is a more complicated boost system.

#24 ·
My VF34 implementation added a little more lag than I was used to on the EJ20 in my old WRX. I implemented the driver mod, and simply learned to drive it in its powerband.

#35 ·
Yeah, I've always seen people discuss 2-turbo setups as being either "sequential" or "parallel", sequential being the setup where one spools early, and the other late.

#36 ·
Mm, yup, intended to say "sequential", not "series". My background seems to have gotten the better of me there.

#37 ·
Sequential vs. parallel does make more sense. "Series" vs. "sequential" will become conflicting though if/when people actually start implementing what they said they would back in the 80s: using one turbo to compress air into another (everything was going to be ceramic, of course... Right...). Still, we'll fall off that bridge when we get there I suppose.

#38 ·
Sequential vs. parallel does make more sense
Agreed. I've always simply referred to the turbo arrangements as sequential or parallel bi-turbo. For example, the Mk4 Toyota Supra utilized a sequential bi-turbocharged arrangement, while the outgoing BMW 335i employed a parallel-biturbo arrangement.

#48 ·
Let's supercharge instead. Screw turbos. Get a blowe!
Eh, I'm happy with my hair dryer. 321 ft-lbs of torque and 24-25mpg works for me...plus I've come to really enjoy the surge of turbocharged cars.

#47 ·
Zenvo Automotive

Multi million dollar hypercar, yes, but still pretty cool. I think these crazy Danes may have figured out how to efficiently use supercharging and turbocharging (albeit with likely ridiculously poor fuel economy). I really like the car, especially the edgy styling.

#52 ·
View attachment 111659 here is a old favorite in my super car to have list . 1993 avtech vector wx3. twin turbo twin intercooler 1000+hp streetable hp. at 8 mpg lol. at least, they say its twin, both spool at the same time to boost the car into orbit... gods 1000hp I'd do it.

#58 ·
Porsche is big on 'em I believe.

Side note: We have a variable geometry turbo technically - the waste gate. Some diesels and industrial turbos don't even have a waste gate due to being sized for a narrow operating range.

#54 ·
^^ My aunt and uncle's old POS Dodge Daytona has a Variable Geometry Turbo. Interesting addition to an otherwise terrible car.

#57 ·
wasnt that the eagle talon body? some of those were a hoot to drive. or was it the dodge datona wedge looking car. cant remember that far back. but i do remember driving a datona turbo automatic and it was just as blaah as any other autos back then. mine included.

#59 ·
the Daytona was the more of a wedgy looking car. The Eagle Talon was based on the Mitsubishi Eclipse...some with AWD and turbo'd. But...DSM...yes they were fun to drive, but asploded religiously. :rotfl:

#61 ·
I think the Daytona was sortof the precursor to the Talon/Eclipse. I think they took the chassis from the later Daytona's or something like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.