a different way to get rid of boost lag? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on a different way to get rid of boost lag? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by zax LOL, drive my 18G 2L.... Funny enough, my 20g outspooled my vf22.. granted on a 2.5L, ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    LOL, drive my 18G 2L....

Funny enough, my 20g outspooled my vf22.. granted on a 2.5L, but still..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I outspooled your mother last night Trebek
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Sep View Post
    That would be bi-turbo I think. Twin turbo would imply turbos of the same size, which would both kick in at the same time, versus a bi-turbo setup with 2 different sizes. Not trying to be a jerk, just clarifying it up.
    Except the Maserati Biturbo had two turbos the same size and predates this discussion by thirty years or so.

The "twin" vs. "bi" turbo really doesn't stand much scrutiny since different manufacturers use different terms, just like the "4WD" vs. "AWD" labels. The moment one thinks they've got it straight, there's an example of a major manufacturer that says and does just the opposite.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The "twin" vs. "bi" turbo really doesn't stand much scrutiny since different manufacturers use different terms, just like the "4WD" vs. "AWD" labels. The moment one thinks they've got it straight, there's an example of a major manufacturer that says and does just the opposite.
    Agreed SD.

Most of the literature I've read comments on the fact that the terms are loosely interchanged, despite some believing there is a "correct" or "incorrect" use of them. In my opinion, either "series" or "parallel" should be used to correctly identify the configuration. I personally would call both turbo configurations "twin turbo".
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I've always seen people discuss 2-turbo setups as being either "sequential" or "parallel", sequential being the setup where one spools early, and the other late.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Yeah, I've always seen people discuss 2-turbo setups as being either "sequential" or "parallel", sequential being the setup where one spools early, and the other late.
    Mm, yup, intended to say "sequential", not "series". My background seems to have gotten the better of me there.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Sequential vs. parallel does make more sense. "Series" vs. "sequential" will become conflicting though if/when people actually start implementing what they said they would back in the 80s: using one turbo to compress air into another (everything was going to be ceramic, of course... Right...). Still, we'll fall off that bridge when we get there I suppose.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Sequential vs. parallel does make more sense
    Agreed. I've always simply referred to the turbo arrangements as sequential or parallel bi-turbo. For example, the Mk4 Toyota Supra utilized a sequential bi-turbocharged arrangement, while the outgoing BMW 335i employed a parallel-biturbo arrangement.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Sequential vs. parallel does make more sense. "Series" vs. "sequential" will become conflicting though if/when people actually start implementing what they said they would back in the 80s: using one turbo to compress air into another (everything was going to be ceramic, of course... Right...). Still, we'll fall off that bridge when we get there I suppose.
    I believe that is common practice in some industrial (diesel) applications, where the system is not nearly as dynamic as a typical consumer engine (Generators with varying loads for example). I could be wrong, however. We had a guy that works on industrial turbos on this board I thought. I wonder if he is around any more.

Series was a brain fart on my end. Electrical background, not mechanical.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I believe that is common practice in some industrial (diesel) applications, where the system is not nearly as dynamic as a typical consumer engine (Generators with varying loads for example). I could be wrong, however. We had a guy that works on industrial turbos on this board I thought. I wonder if he is around any more.

I don't think a car has used the setup but I could be wrong.

I like "series" too though and not just for turbos. Think of gearboxes for example.

I Support ClubWRX

I like "series" too though and not just for turbos. Think of gearboxes for example.

I Support ClubWRX
    Totally understandable! Allow me to induct you into our current conversation.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    induct
    Badabump! Heh... Induct...

I Support ClubWRX

I wouldn't expect a car to, unless it was an 18 wheeler or a vehicle that is intended to be driven over a small operating range.

The idea is more ideal when you start to look at very high pressures and very narrow operating ranges. You would not want this on a gasoline power car to say the least.

Totally understandable! Allow me to induct you into our current conversation.
    I see what you did there
    2011 STi Build Log

In my limited diesel experience, I've also heard this setup called a compound turbo setup.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast