Perrin Intake
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Perrin Intake within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so first off i am a noob. I have an 03 wrx and currently still have the stock air ...

Perrin Intake

Ok so first off i am a noob. I have an 03 wrx and currently still have the stock air box with a K&N filter. I have been thinking about getting a PERRIN intake. I have herd there wouldnt be a lot of power gains if any at all. Is this true? Would it be worth upgrading? Any suggestions would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Perrin Intake

I'd rather have the money frankly. Follow the link in my signature.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

kk thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    not worth it. Also, foam air filters are great for a race car, but not for a daily driver
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

What sort of upgrades would you suggest? i acctually just put a apexi N1 on. They guy that owned it before me for some reason put a 4in down pipe. I changed out spark plugs 2k ago. Other than than its pretty much stock.

sinister would you upgrade the intake at all?

I Support ClubWRX

Perrin Intake

My two suggestions are to follow the link in my signature, and to follow the link in my signature.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    is it a full 4" downpipe? or is it a 4-3" bell mouth?

Do you have a tune for the downpipe? If not... you'll get a ton of power out of the car with just a tune.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Thanks SD_GR

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    My two suggestions are to follow the link in my signature, and to follow the link in my signature.
    perseveration... feeling okay spiros?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I want to say its a 4-3 bell mouth and as far as i know its not tuned

I Support ClubWRX

Perrin Intake

I'm ok thanks...

If you don't have a CEL you might have a tune. If you can check for a resistor in the EGT sensor or a spark plug anti fouler in the downpipe, and find none, you have a tune I bet.

Ok ill for sure look into it more and see if i do. A lot of info from your signature

I Support ClubWRX

Perrin Intake

Ok good luck and I should clarify: look for a resistor in the harness that would have gone to the up pipe sensor, on the car body side. This is intended to fool the ECU into thinking the sensor is there. If there is no resistor then the tune is probably dealing with the CEL.

Correspondingly a mechanical fix or a tune will be dealing with the down pipe CEL, and if a fix isn't there I'd suspect a tune.

the perrin intake is a nice unit. if you plan on running a perrin map then its a no brainer. if you plan on running a cobb map then id recommend a cobb intake. if you plan on going protune or opensource then get whatever intake your tuner recommends. some tuners like certain intakes because they are familiar with them and they feel comfortable tuning with them on the car. some will say stay stock. stock isnt bad but if you want to hear all the cool sucking and swooshing noises than an open element intake is the way to go.

for your year wrx i would recommend replacing the factory uppipe with an aftermarket one without a cat. if it hasnt been done already. then decide which tuning route you want to go and that will narrow down your intake search i feel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast