Trying to get an exhaust

This is a discussion on Trying to get an exhaust within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone! I new to WRX and cars in general. Especially when it comes to modding. I have been looking ...

Trying to get an exhaust

Hi everyone! I new to WRX and cars in general. Especially when it comes to modding. I have been looking at exhausts and trying to research everything and thought i would ask a few questions to you more experienced WRX people. I am a noob so please any advise or direction with ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING regarding subaru and WRX.

I just got a 2013 WRB Limited 5 door WRX a little over a month ago. I have 1100 miles on it so far and loving it! One thing i know i really want and love is an exhaust. I really love deep, rich sound from an exhaust. I have listed to many on youtube and researched a few brands like nameless and invidia and had a few questions.

1. From what i have read and understand Stage 1 is just a tune. Does getting an exhaust require a tune? I am pretty sure it does just want to double check
    2. Can anyone give me some advise on exhausts?
    3. I know you can get a catback but should you just go ahead and get a downpipe as well?
    4. I really like the single pipe exhaust like inividia's i have seen. I am finding difficulty even finding singles as all i see are dual exhausts. Anybody know anymore brands that the single exhaust?

Like i said any advise is appreciated. If i am wording it wrong please let me know as i am trying to educate myself. Really appreciate the time!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats on your new car...For the tune, you would need a tune if you went for a turbo back exhaust (including down pipe). If you had a downpipe you would get a stage 2 tune (stage 2 is the down pipe and the tune, you don't actually need the cat back portion, but sounds like that is your main goal). If you get a catback exhaust you wouldn't need a tune, it would just pretty much be a sound maker. Stage 1 is just a tune with no mods. Most brands are pretty good, but it really boils down to what sound you are looking for, which is hard to judge unless you hear them in person. Go to a meet, or hit up some people on here who are near you and have various exhausts. Tons of choices.

Good luck and welcome!
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 01-29-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Re: Trying to get an exhaust

Welcome and +1 ^^^ Nice color by the way

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Congrats on your new car...For the tune, you would need a tune if you went for a turbo back exhaust (including down pipe). If you had a downpipe you would get a stage 2 tune (stage 2 is the down pipe and the tune, you don't actually need the cat back portion, but sounds like that is your main goal). If you get a catback exhaust you wouldn't need a tune, it would just pretty much be a sound maker. Stage 1 is just a tune with no mods. Most brands are pretty good, but it really boils down to what sound you are looking for, which is hard to judge unless you hear them in person. Go to a meet, or hit up some people on here who are near you and have various exhausts. Tons of choices.

Good luck and welcome!

Thanks! Yes i am deff looking at going to some meets soon!
    I gotcha so Stage 1 is just a tune then. So if i wanted to get a Cobb SF intake with airbox would that require a Stage 1 as well? Sounds like i need to get a tune anyways because i would assume it would make the car run better. I have read the factory tune is not really good.

I am not really looking to do anything big on performance besides an exhaust and intake and thats about it.

I Support ClubWRX
    The sound of your car is primarily designated by the catback. The best advice you can get is to hit up local meets and hear what other people have on their cars. Any kind of Internet footage is skewed due to recording equipment, video compression, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by joncrook
    I gotcha so Stage 1 is just a tune then. So if i wanted to get a Cobb SF intake with airbox would that require a Stage 1 as well? Sounds like i need to get a tune anyways because i would assume it would make the car run better. I have read the factory tune is not really good.

I am not really looking to do anything big on performance besides an exhaust and intake and thats about it.
    This post tells me you come from the N/A world, where a catback/intake are the first modifications. Neither will really net you any worthwhile performance gains on a stock WRX/STI.

If you're looking for sound alone, that will do it. To run the Cobb intake, you need to tweak the factory MAF scaling, which can be done with a Cobb AP S1+SF tune. If you go the Cobb route, make sure you get their airbox, as well, to help reduce issues with radiant engine heat causing your car to neuter itself due to IAT compensation tables.
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-29-2013 at 04:56 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by joncrook View Post

Cobb makes a stage 1 tune for their SF intake. Good luck not doing anything big on Mods...It becomes addictive very quickly

Re: Trying to get an exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Cobb makes a stage 1 tune for their SF intake. Good luck not doing anything big on Mods...It becomes addictive very quickly
    ^^^ +1 - if you are planning Cobb AP then you will likely go stage2 pretty fast

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The sound of your car is primarily designated by the catback. The best advice you can get is to hit up local meets and hear what other people have on their cars. Any kind of Internet footage is skewed due to recording equipment, video compression, etc.

This post tells me you come from the N/A world, where a catback/intake are the first modifications. Neither will really net you any worthwhile performance gains on a stock car.

If you're looking for sound alone, that will do it. To run the Cobb intake, you need to tweak the factory MAF scaling, which can be done with a Cobb AP S1+SF tune.
    ^^^ +1 and EJ will help you along the way

If you want that subaru rumble and like the single exit exhausts, just get the Invidia N1 resonated. I did and I love it, its exactly what I wanted. No tune required and the install was easy. I backed it up on ramps and had the stock exhaust out from under the car in 10min. and I do recommend buying a Remflex gasket to mate the mid pipe to the stock downpipe and buying 1 XL hangar for the last one near the exhaust tip.