Stage 2 troubles
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage 2 troubles within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey so three days ago I was helped by a mechanic who showed me what to do installing an invidia ...

Stage 2 troubles

Hey so three days ago I was helped by a mechanic who showed me what to do installing an invidia uppipe, invidia downpipe, and replacing the gaskets (turboxs). Both were catless by the way. The guy who helped me also did the tuning for me (he has the experience). I was driving yesterday afternoon and definitely giving it gas when my cel started flashing. I immediately pulled over, opened the hood, and noticed my engine was shaking pretty badly. I'm wondering if I needed to replace my injectors with better ones and also if it's safe for my car at 18lbs of boost. I'm worried that the tune may have ****ed it up and I need to find a solution on what to do.
    Thanks,
    Charlie
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Stage 2 troubles

Find out the CEL code and depending on that, post data logs.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well turns out I had low compression in cylinder 4... Melted my piston and Im really lucky it didnt destroy my whole motor. Replacing the pistons, rings, and bearings in the motor is not fun. the stage 2 stuff didnt matter, just accelerated my problems /:
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    Missed this earlier. Typically, a S2 setup on 93 octane, I'll target 18PSI in the midrange, assuming that the car is healthy and takes it. Target boost is only part of the equation, obviously, but it's not like that's an exorbitant amount of boost to run on a S2 setup, assuming timing and fueling were done properly to account for that.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Is there any ways to tell for good fueling? I mean I had low compression and Im getting worried that the tune may have ****ed up my engine..
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What was your AFR at WOT? I'm assuming your datalogs were knock free after tuning?

After the fact I suppose you could always just take a close look at your spark plugs. .white tips means lean, black means rich, somewhere in between is what you want to see.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripple'sWRX View Post
    Is there any ways to tell for good fueling? I mean I had low compression and Im getting worried that the tune may have ****ed up my engine..
    No way to tell without looking at the MAP/ROM. Also if the car was not in the best mechanical condition in the first place,like you said, raising the boost just exacerbates the problem. That is not really the "tune's" fault as the engine just wasn't healthy to begin with or there was another mechanical issue not addressed (ex. failing fuel pump,clogged/dirty injector,dirty MAF,). What was the compression numbers?
    Last edited by Donkey; 02-05-2013 at 04:39 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Well I didnt use an accessport I had someone tune my car for me. Basically he just told there was zero knock. I know that my first 3 cylinders were around 150 psi and my 4th one was at 50psi
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I didnt use an accessport I had someone tune my car for me. Basically he just told there was zero knock. I know that my first 3 cylinders were around 150 psi and my 4th one was at 50psi
    And this was before the tune?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

whoa....50psi??? That's pretty unhealthy right there...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Ya I know it's really bad. I dont think I took enough time when buying it, but it's all back to normal now. Im just confused as to how my low compression would've caused it and I want to make sure that after I break everything in it's safe to push it once in a while
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

And donkey yes it was before the tune. didn't do a compression test prior to it so i now know that was really stupid
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

so what's back to normal? The cylinder compression??? If you're running with a cyl. at 50psi, that's not good. That's an unhealthy block my man, and will probably need to be torn down.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

And donkey yes it was before the tune. didn't do a compression test prior to it so i now know that was really stupid
    so how do you know the compression was at 50 before the tune if you just said you didnt do a compression test prior to tuning it? im confused as to your predicament

if the car was running fine before your tune and then after your mods it started running bad with low compression then that to me points to you having a problem with your mods/tune

you say the guy had "experience" what experience is this? what shop does he work for/own? who is he? what method did he use to tune your car? AP? OS? please dont tell me he threw on a MBC and cranked it up to 18psi, then sent you on your way
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 02-05-2013 at 12:53 PM.

No it's no longer at low compression we replaced my pistons and now it's running fine.

No he didnt just crank up my boost, that would be awful haha. He worked for a local shop called synergy until the shop closed. what he did was took my car out and did a road tune, don't know the technical description of that. He came back with it said he was happy because there was no knock or problems. Basically I left and everything was fine until my 4th piston melted
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast