Stage 2 troubles - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage 2 troubles within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; No it's no longer at low compression we replaced my pistons and now it's running fine. No he didnt just ...

No it's no longer at low compression we replaced my pistons and now it's running fine.

No he didnt just crank up my boost, that would be awful haha. He worked for a local shop called synergy until the shop closed. what he did was took my car out and did a road tune, don't know the technical description of that. He came back with it said he was happy because there was no knock or problems. Basically I left and everything was fine until my 4th piston melted
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Piston melting would only be caused by an extremely lean condition under high load.. I hope you addressed that issue, otherwise your just going to have to keep tearing it down and replacing that piston (something I wouldn't do in the first place).

well I've got about 400 miles on the new pistons, bearings, and rings. Im buying an accessport soon and retuning it
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

I'm so confuzzled by this whole thread
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

So whatever destroyed your first engine has now done 400 miles worth of damage to your second engine? I guess if you enjoy rebuilding engines that's one way to keep yourself occupied ..

Holy **** hah Im confusing myself sorry.

Ok my car had low compression (was unaware at the time) then I did the stage 2 mods. After doing the stage 2 mods my car broke down and I found out I melted a piston. I replaced the pistons, bearings, and rings. I had to drive back to school about 400 miles away but havent gone above 4k rpms with the new parts. Im wondering how I can be sure my current tune is safe or if I should just say screw it and buy an accessport
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

I want to make sure that the low compression was my issue and that I'm not running lean at the moment
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

Install a WBO2 .. also, I'd pull your plugs and look at them. You can tell if you're dangerously lean. .also, they should all look the same.

You say you had low compression, and you're saying you melted a piston. The later is very uncommon and a clear sign of serious fueling problems. By far the most common cause of low compression will be a cracked ring land. Are you sure your piston actually melted? Do you have pictures of the tear down?

You could even just look at your learning view, or logs including your stock front O2 sensor. . What is your O2 sensor reading? That will tell you if you're rich/lean overall.

I don't have pictures of the teardown I wish I did but I am positive that it was melted. There was metal in my oil pan. I did not do most of this work though, the mechanic who helped is someone we have been going to for a very long time and I've learned a lot from him. Basically I watched and helped with small stuff while he did the hardest things. I know that I had a melted piston I could post pictures of it if you'd like me to I have those with me. From what Im getting from this thread and one on my local fb group it sounds like the tune has bad fueling issues which is disappointing
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

It could be the tune, it could be a vacuum leak, it could be a clogged injector.
    Do as Robin(Mainframe) says. Datalog with a wideband or open up learning view ASAP before you have to tear down another engine!

How did your tuner tune this car? AP or opensource?

It would be a good idea to pull your plugs and inspect them. .

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the piston. It's not very often that we encounter fueling issues serious enough to melt a piston.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    It would be a good idea to pull your plugs and inspect them. .

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the piston. It's not very often that we encounter fueling issues serious enough to melt a piston.
    Unless it was a stock tune 2007 STI that had been run hard...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

the accessport maps are not based off of a catless down pipe just an FYI, id rather spend money on a WB02 and a tune.

really? I thought that the accessport had both catted and catless maps?
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast