SPT Exhaust to quiet! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on SPT Exhaust to quiet! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know someone who changed the SPT for the SP Elite because the SPT was obnoxious. I have a Greddy ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I know someone who changed the SPT for the SP Elite because the SPT was obnoxious. I have a Greddy SP Elite myself. This is all for a hatch.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I know someone who changed the SPT for the SP Elite because the SPT was obnoxious. I have a Greddy SP Elite myself. This is all for a hatch.
    thanks, i've been reading that the SP Elite is not as loud, but has a different tone / rumble. i heard someone's SPT last week it would be perfect... but would still kill to hear an SP as well.

there are a couple meets coming here in MA so maybe i'll get my wish. i just want a little more rumble. my car is a DD.
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Keep in mind that most who buy a loud exhaust (like the N1 race) sell the exhaust within a year of ownership. Ask me how I know...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    From 1000 miles away.
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Fish View Post
    Made a big mistake in buying SPT. I love the exhaust when it comes to performance, but the sound is NOT what I was looking for. Typical mistake in buying something without knowing anything about it. Any help on getting that subaru rumble I love?
    My SPT'd STi is incredibly loud compared to my old non-SPT WRX. Everyone comments on it, and it's even changed the way I drive because I don't want to draw undue attention to myself around town. A coworker has the SPT on his WRX (but no downpipe) and he says mine is way louder. People who ride in the backseat complain about it. It got even louder when I installed my Invidia catless DP. Now it's just downright obnoxious. At WOT it's louder than the thoughts in my head - I literally cannot hear myself think.

It definitely has that deep gurgley boxer rumble though. When it's warming up in the driveway it rattles every window in my house.

Yeah I'd go for a downpipe and tune. You'll get the sound back along with a very satisfying power bump.

I Support ClubWRX
    Guys keep in mind that the exhausts sound different in the sedan & the hatch. It is nearly impossible to find an exhaust without at least some drone for the hatchbacks. Also it would be louder in the hatchback.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Guys keep in mind that the exhausts sound different in the sedan & the hatch. It is nearly impossible to find an exhaust without at least some drone for the hatchbacks. Also it would be louder in the hatchback.
    Yeah I also switched from a sedan WRX no SPT to a hatch STi with SPT. It was quite a transition IRT noise levels. I can say that highway drone is minimal to none unless I get above 70mph, but with any amount of throttle it sets off car alarms and alerts every cop within half a mile. Got pulled over for "speeding" two weeks ago and let off with a warning cuz he didnt actually know how fast I was going, and pulled over again 20ft later by the same cop to get hassled about my exhaust.

I thought the SPT catback is quiet as well. The DP helped a lot, but still kind of quiet. Keep in mind that SPT is a 2.5 vs others are 3inch. That has a lot to do with sound.
    A car is only as good as its driver

Meh eff it. Just go open headers.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Meh eff it. Just go open headers.
    Open Cylinders! Lose the heads!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

SPT Exhaust to quiet!

Quote Originally Posted by SubiEj255 View Post
    Keep in mind that SPT is a 2.5 vs others are 3inch.
    Tapers to 2.5 at the dp, but is otherwise 3in. The 11+ STi sedan with SPT and Cobb dp is louder than any stg2 invidia q300 I've heard. My $.02.

if you decide to buy a different cat back. id consider buying your spt cat back. for the right price of course.....

Quote Originally Posted by PartyPizza View Post
    Tapers to 2.5 at the dp, but is otherwise 3in.
    You're going backwards. Exhausts usually dont get smaller in the middle, then get bigger at the end, unless its custom work. Even then, I don't see the point of restricting the flow, to making it flow better at the end. I think you mean the DP is 3inches at which goes to an SPT cbe that's 2.5inch. So all-in-all a persons exhaust would be 3in that tapers to 2.5. Does this make sense, However the SPT catback is in fact 2.5 inches for its entire piping....
    A car is only as good as its driver

Quote Originally Posted by SubiEj255 View Post
    You're going backwards. Exhausts usually dont get smaller in the middle, then get bigger at the end, unless its custom work. Even then, I don't see the point of restricting the flow, to making it flow better at the end. I think you mean the DP is 3inches at which goes to an SPT cbe that's 2.5inch. So all-in-all a persons exhaust would be 3in that tapers to 2.5. Does this make sense, However the SPT catback is in fact 2.5 inches for its entire piping....
    No he's right. It tapers to 2.5 to mate to the stock downpipe, but the midpipe is 3inches. I just went outside and measured mine because you had me second-guessing myself. My SPT midpipe is the exact same diameter as my 3" Invidia downpipe, except at the midpipe/downpipe flange. The axleback is smaller, but not the midpipe.

SPT Exhaust to quiet!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast