Exhaust system

This is a discussion on Exhaust system within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I am a noob to the Subaru world and I have a few questions. I want to replace my ...

Exhaust system

Hello, I am a noob to the Subaru world and I have a few questions. I want to replace my exhaust system but Im having trouble deciding what to do. I want to replace my whole system. The invida q300 looks awesome but do I need to replace the stock cat with a high flow cat? Does the Q300 come with a downpipe? Can I tune with a Cobb access port using this exhaust? recommendations for other exhaust systems? I have a stock 2011 WRX limited. I appreciate any information you can give me!!

thanks
    2011 WRX Limited - Stage1-AEM CAI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    A turboback exhaust is the whole exhaust, from the turbo back (including the downpipe) . Therefore it replaces the catalytic converters. A catback exhaust only replaces the exhaust from the catalytic converter back, so it does not replace your stock catalytic converters.

Newer model WRXs occasionally have problems with boost creep when running catless exhaust, so you should be looking for a catted turboback exhaust. (Not to mention the Cobb maps are designed to work with catted exhaust only)

Awesome! I was considering doing a turbo back. It looks like that may be the direction I go. what are some good turbo back systems that you know of? How do you feel about blow off valves with a turbo back?
    I also don't want something that will be extremely loud
    Last edited by Bierman; 01-24-2013 at 12:49 PM.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Blow off valves are pointless noise makers, regardless of the exhaust.

The Q300 seems to be pretty popular. My opinion on exhausts doesn't really echo how most feel, I want the quietest I can get without sacrificing too much power.. my best suggestion is to find where other local Subaru people meet up and listen to them in person to decide exactly what you want.

I Support ClubWRX
    Click on these links. Some people on here (see the individual who posted for credits) post up stuff for FAQ's like this.

---- BOV / Blow Off Valve Information ---

Exhaust FAQ

Regarding your choice in exhaust. There is a lot of personal preference when it comes to decisions like that and depending on who you ask and what car they drive (how loud they like it, how they want it to look, are they racing it or DDing it, etc, etc, etc), you will probably get a broad range of answers. Best bet is to see them in person and decide based on sound which one you like best.

Good luck with you search!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    ...you will probably get a broad range of answers. Best bet is to see them in person and decide based on sound which one you like best.

Good luck with you search!
    As a followup to that, local Subaru meets are a great way to judge exhausts for yourself. Crappy cellphone videos posted to FaceTube rarely do justice to the true sound of an exhaust. I agree that hearing them in person is the best way to judge for yourself.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Great idea! Im not trying to make a track car I just want something that gives the car more rumble. I want to make sure that I research and cover everything that need to go into replacing an exhaust system before committing to a purchase. Want the most bang for my buck.