ewg install ?

This is a discussion on ewg install ? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi guys i want to get a ewg (plumbed back) i know how to install it with the new uppipe ...

ewg install ?

hi guys i want to get a ewg (plumbed back) i know how to install it with the new uppipe and everything but currently i have a 14 psi iwg can i just disconnect that and run that line to the ewg with a mbc , or do i have to have a bracket, my iwg hold strong to redline so it holds pressure but also creeps sometimes (hence why im getting ewg) what gains am i expecti g from a big 16 g with a grimmspeed uppipe and ewg plumbed bacl anyone have a similar set up? i currently hit full spool at 3800 20 psi will this be quicler with a ewg

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You will either need to buy a bracket, make one (easy if you don't mind sacraficing your IGW actuator), or weld the IWG shut.

I would expect it to make a little more power everywhere and you will have more control over your boost. It should improve spool a little.

Obviously, it will need to be tuned for..

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    You will either need to buy a bracket, make one (easy if you don't mind sacraficing your IGW actuator), or weld the IWG shut.

I would expect it to make a little more power everywhere and you will have more control over your boost. It should improve spool a little.

Obviously, it will need to be tuned for..
    yes it wod definintly be retuned , i would most likely make up a bracket my self cutting welding etc what would happen if i didnt though if i peft the iwg the same but unpluged ?

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you ever used the search option? Every thread I see you post in, is one you created...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Have you ever used the search option? Every thread I see you post in, is one you created...
    yes i havve but they arent in the same situation as me

I Support ClubWRX
    There is a reason people either weld the flapper shut or use a bracket. Hell you can even use a piece of bailing wire. But feel free to run it with just the actuator unplugged. Not sure why you think your situations are "unique". I think you just over complicate them.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    There is a reason people either weld the flapper shut or use a bracket. Hell you can even use a piece of bailing wire. But feel free to run it with just the actuator unplugged. Not sure why you think your situations are "unique". I think you just over complicate them.
    +1

You're simply running an EWG setup...ton of people around here are doing it...including a few who have already replied in this thread.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    what is that reason i have not found it anywhere

To keep it from opening ...
    Last edited by MainFrame; 01-27-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    To keep it from opening ...
    but my point is its got a spring in the actuator that holds it closed it doesnt make sense, if your running a mbc on a iwg its got to hold it closed untill the set pressure anyways??

Quote Originally Posted by sxcrxy View Post
    but my point is its got a spring in the actuator that holds it closed it doesnt make sense, if your running a mbc on a iwg its got to hold it closed untill the set pressure anyways??
    So why are you asking about that...when you are wanting to do an EWG?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    You can use a MBC to make the iwg "think" that it is only seeing <7psi... sure.
    -It still may open due to exhaust back pressure. I don't know whether this would be an issue with your setup or not.
    -It is more complicated (hence more error prone) than using a bracket.
    -It is more expensive than using a bracket.

If you are coughing up the money, time, and effort to go EWG... go get yourself a bracket or weld the IWG shut. It's pretty silly not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

What's the tension of the spring in your wastegate actuator? I know my VF22 had a 7lb spring. That means that without a boost controller hooked to it it would open at 7psi.. pretty pointless to intall an EWG if your IWG is still going to come open at 7psi. You could hook a boost controller to the IWG to try to hold it closed, but that's only going to go so far. With mine, I couldn't achieve boost over 23.5psi. Even with the WGDC at 99.6% the 7lb spring simply was not strong enough to get the boost any higher, at 23.5psi the IWG was forced open by the exhaust pressure. So, no, it doesn't HAVE to hold it closed untill the set pressure, sometimes the spring is physically incapable of holding the wastegate shut, no matter how high you crank the boost controller.

And furthermore as Brandon mentioned, why in the world would you even want to spend $80+ on a boost controller to attempt to hold your IWG shut when you can just make a bracket out of scraps (or weld it for free) and know for sure that it won't be forced open?