Running rich???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Running rich??? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok so just recently my wrx has been running rich. i dont understand why it would. on my 09 i ...

Running rich???

ok so just recently my wrx has been running rich. i dont understand why it would. on my 09 i have a spt catback, walbro 255 fuel pump, and avo top mount intercooler. after installing the intercooler i started backfiring. i have not done the tune yet but i will once i install my invidia cattless divorced downpipe. just wondering if it should be running that rich. i do run 93 octane. if you have any info about this please let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just tuned my car to run a rich....er. 10.53 AFR.
    Enough of me being an ass...
    Turbo cars are supposed to run rich. What makes you mention this now?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    How rich is it running.. idle and WOT?

Quote Originally Posted by yongsik_park View Post
    ok so just recently my wrx has been running rich. i dont understand why it would. on my 09 i have a spt catback, walbro 255 fuel pump, and avo top mount intercooler. after installing the intercooler i started backfiring. i have not done the tune yet but i will once i install my invidia cattless divorced downpipe. just wondering if it should be running that rich. i do run 93 octane. if you have any info about this please let me know.
    Umm.....
    Am I the only one who read this
    You have an aftermarket fuel pump and intercooler on the stock tune
    And your asking why it's not running right? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    Umm.....
    Am I the only one who read this
    You have an aftermarket fuel pump and intercooler on the stock tune
    And your asking why it's not running right? Seriously?

Fuel pump should make no difference, and intercooler doesn't nesicarilly need to be tuned for.

well i know that turbo vehicles run rich but its shoots back smoke out of the exhaust. and every once in awhile the car would shut off and i would lose power steering.

I would suspect you have a different problem going on if the car randomly dies. No way to really tell if you're rich or lean without at the very least reading from the front O2 sensor. You would really need a wide band installed to know what your mixture is like.

How's your fuel economy?

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Fuel pump should make no difference, and intercooler doesn't nesicarilly need to be tuned for.
    i was told that i dont need a tune too. it just doesnt seem normal to backfire with all my cats.

Something is not functioning properly.. I would check the readings from your front O2 sensor, it may have failed.

I would suspect you have a different problem going on if the car randomly dies. No way to really tell if you're rich or lean without at the very least reading from the front O2 sensor. You would really need a wide band installed to know what your mixture is like.

How's your fuel economy?
    pretty bad to be honest.

kinda figured. i guess i will just wait till i get my car tuned. then see whats happening

Quote Originally Posted by yongsik_park View Post
    i was told that i dont need a tune too. it just doesnt seem normal to backfire with all my cats.
    I backfire with my cats, although i also have no mufflers, and my car is bone stock. I usually backfire after a launch and 1-4 WOT pulls.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

when i first got my 09 i never backfired once. lol.

Why do you have the Walbro fuel pump instead of just the original one? Why did you go with the aftermarket IC too i.e. what exactly were you trying to accomplish by replacing your OEM one? Are you the original owner of the car? If not, when did you buy it, and do you know the modding history of it?

What tune are you going to run once you put on the invidia DP?

To answer you specific question, no it's not normal that your car is running very rich after just changing the IC. But what are you basing your statement on that you're running very rich? Just on the fact it's backfiring? You really need to get a datalog to get good data rather than just basing things on some backfiring. How often is it doing it, and under what conditions? Does it only happen very occasionally, and only when you let off from a WOT pull in 2nd, 3rd and/or 4th gear? Or does it happen a lot like every time you drive it and many times during each drive, and also when you're not doing a WOT pull but just driving normally?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Basically this. Could be you have a boost leak. Don't know. You have not really provided any substantial data. At this point it is anyone's guess. Especially since we can't even see the car. But seeing how all this started once you put on the intercooler I would lean towards an improper installation possibly.
    Last edited by Donkey; 01-23-2013 at 05:35 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.