Missing intercooler pipe, recirculation hose, etc..
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Missing intercooler pipe, recirculation hose, etc.. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First some background info: I recently purchased a 2002 Subaru WRX, 2 adult owners its entire life, well maintained, 166k ...

Missing intercooler pipe, recirculation hose, etc..

First some background info: I recently purchased a 2002 Subaru WRX, 2 adult owners its entire life, well maintained, 166k miles.. Right before I bought it the man that owned it let his son drive it for 3 weeks. In this short time period a lot of things were butchered: intake, exhaust, stock turbo inlet tube, BPV, misc hoses, etc. After seeing this the man became angry and sold it; to me. I have since done all needed maintenance: oils, fluids, double checked everything I could. To fix the cut-up exhaust, eBay intake and other junk I bought and installed all new CNT cat-less turbo-back exhaust and up-pipe, COBB SF Short Ram Intake and Box, stock inlet tube, and have almost completed fixing everything that was messed up.. Right now I'm about to replace the GReddy BOV currently on there with a Forge Recirculating, so I can re-attach the recirc hose and have it operating as close to stock as possible.

What remains a mystery to me is the intercooler pipe and whatever hoses attach to it, and where they run to. It's all missing! Also how the hoses SHOULD be run to/from the BOV/BPV as well. Could anyone provide a detailed picture? I've google'd and looked at diagrams, but nothing I've found gives a good close up, or points out exactly what I need to see.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Where in TX are you? There shouldn't be any intercooler pipes on the car (unless you're meaning the y-pipe underneath the intercooler, but the car wouldn't run without that).

Did you get the recirculating elbow that goes with the Forge BPV? It is a seperate piece that attaches to the BPV and the recirculation hose attaches to it (it does not come standard with the Forge unit). Then the hose plumbs into the side of the inlet. It should be easy to see where it goes.

I'm in Brazoria, about an hour south of Houston.

It isn't the y-pipe underneath the intercooler.. it's the small dual line that runs in front of it, looks as if its for vacuum..? I saw it on a few diagrams, one on subarupartsdepot.com and its not on my car, there's also open lines coming off the engine right in front of the intercooler boot. Monday I can take some pictures to better explain myself.

I haven't gotten the Forge unit yet, but I can see where the recirc hose goes to the inlet. It's the small vacuum line on the opposite side I'm not sure about. The GReddy has two small vacuum lines on it, and I'm not even sure it's hooked up right with as much other stuff the kid screwed up!

Hmm.. if you lived closer to Austin I could help you out..

For what it's worth, this is what it should look like.
    Last edited by MainFrame; 01-19-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Those two silver lines on the bottom of the intercooler, kinda sitting on top of it.. Mines missing

Those lines have nothing to do with the intercooler, that is part of the PCV system.. I'll look for a diagram..

Looking at pictures I didn't think so either, but Subaru OEM catalog calls it an intercooler pipe and even has it depicted as such in their intercooler parts diagram.. But doesn't show where the rubber hoses run off to

I'm not finding a good diagram.. the PCV system connects to breather ports on each head and one on the crank case (on the ej205), and they plumb back into the intake. It's basically for engine ventilation (more or less).

I have been running a catch can for a few years now in place of the factory PCV system, so it's hard for me to remember exactly how the hoses go.

In fact, I don't see anything wrong with running a catch can or AOS in place of the PCV system, so you could consider doing that instead of returning it to stock. Having a catch can on there will help keep the intake clean.

I've seen a couple of write-ups for a catch can.. wouldn't I still need those metal lines, or could I do it all with rubber hoses as long as it went to the right spots?

Catch can deletes the entire PCV system, including those metal lines. Use rubber or silicone hoses plumbed from the head breathers T'd into the catch can.. and the crank breather hose should go into the other port on the catch can.

Awesome. I'll find a good write-up and start on that until I can afford the Forge Recirculating BOV. Think that should fix the majority of the problems. Thanks!

No problem.

I've found a couple of catch can and AOS write ups.. all use the stock metal pipe I don't have. As a matter of fact, I'm missing a lot of the stuff. How the heck is my car running fine and not having issues?

Have you datalogged it to see if it's running okay?

I've never seen a catch can hooked up with the metal pipes still installed.. what are your head breathers currently attached to?

Not yet. The car is still literally on the rack from putting the exhaust/up-pipe in, therefore I haven't plugged in the Cobb AP to tune it and see where I stand from there.

You'll have to give me some direction.. I don't know what everything's called, or where it's at. I apologize for this inconvenience, this is my first car like this. I'm used to working on 80's Chevys and 90's Cummins.

I'm probably gonna have to wait until Monday so I can take some pictures to actually show what's up

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.