Up pipe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Up pipe within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everybody! I'm curious, should replace my up pipe when I'm stage one? Any problems if I don't? Or should ...

Up pipe

Hey everybody! I'm curious, should replace my up pipe when I'm stage one? Any problems if I don't? Or should I wait for the down pipe?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What year is your car?

The downpipe will need to come off (or at least partially removed) to access all the uppipe bolts, so it's easiest to do both at once. Installing a catless uppipe does not require a tune.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quick answer, if you have a catted UP then replace it ASAP. If it is not catted, don't replace it unless you're going EWG.

Re: Up pipe

It's an 04

well 04 came with the 2.0L engine, which came with a catted uppipe. so if it still has the factory uppipe, then yes, replace it immediately

Okay thanks. Even if it is on a stage one tune? I would really like to go stage two and start messing with the dp and up pipe after I pay off the car.

Quote Originally Posted by skinikko View Post
    Okay thanks. Even if it is on a stage one tune? I would really like to go stage two and start messing with the dp and up pipe after I pay off the car.

i would even for stock or stage 1 just as a precaution.

Okay kewl. Prob would benefit of getting tuned after installation?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

You'll be OK with running an uppipe with no change in the tune.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX

I agree with zax, there is no need to retune the ECU.

Changing an up pipe isn't fun. If you can combine it with something else it might be an easier pill to swallow.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

You will need to tune for the downpipe incase your confused. its easier to do the up and down at same time. its really not too bad of an install. loosening motor mounts and jacking up motor a bit made it easier to get the old one out. most of the time your just sitting under the car figuring out how to get a wrench in there around the heat shields lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes that's a good approach I think. Loosen the motor, and use a piece of wood to spread the force of the jack so you don't collapse the sump. Or if you can chain it from above properly that'd be classier I suppose. Then swear at the shields plus worry about the studs snapping after all this time etc. There's plenty of how-to threads around but they don't capture the excitement!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    well 04 came with the 2.0L engine, which came with a catted uppipe.

that's assuming it's a base model WRX and not a STi

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    its really not too bad of an install.

I dropped the whole header assembly, instead of just the right side manifold. Getting the heat shielding and stock downpipe off is probably the worst part. I invented all sorts of new swear words trying to reach some of those bolts...

Once the heat shielding and downpipe are out though, it isn't too bad, I suppose.

Couple things:
    *PB Blaster is your best friend. Absolutely mandatory to have on hand.
    *Go on a socket shopping spree. If you've been looking for an excuse to buy more tools. Now is a good time. I found my 12" ratchet extension very helpful. Pick up six-point sockets if you don't already have them. I'm told flex joint socket extensions are helpful, but I didn't use mine.
    *Get a breaker bar. Mine is 18", I think. (giggity)
    *Buy or rent an O2 sensor socket. That's an easy thing to forget, but you'll absolutely need to remove the front O2 sensor to get the heat shielding off. (**** move on Subarus part. See my build thread for how I cut the shielding to fix it).
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo
    I dropped the whole header assembly, instead of just the right side manifold. Getting the heat shielding and stock downpipe off is probably the worst part. I invented all sorts of new swear words trying to reach some of those bolts...

Once the heat shielding and downpipe are out though, it isn't too bad, I suppose.

Couple things:
    *PB Blaster is your best friend. Absolutely mandatory to have on hand.
    *Go on a socket shopping spree. If you've been looking for an excuse to buy more tools. Now is a good time. I found my 12" ratchet extension very helpful. Pick up six-point sockets if you don't already have them. I'm told flex joint socket extensions are helpful, but I didn't use mine.
    *Get a breaker bar. Mine is 18", I think. (giggity)
    *Buy or rent an O2 sensor socket. That's an easy thing to forget, but you'll absolutely need to remove the front O2 sensor to get the heat shielding off. (**** move on Subarus part. See my build thread for how I cut the shielding to fix it).
    I use my jack handle for additional torque.

I would never use a 12-point socket/wrench; always use 6 (less chance of rounding the bolt/nut).

O2 socket is $5 from Harbor Freight. Just buy one.

PB Blaster rocks. Spray liberally, ideally a day or two before the install, as well. Anything you can do to break through the rust of a ~10 year old vehicle helps.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.