Darton Sleeves has anyone ??

This is a discussion on Darton Sleeves has anyone ?? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I ask as I have been looking at my options for building a solid bottom end. My 2002 WRX has ...

Darton Sleeves has anyone ??

I ask as I have been looking at my options for building a solid bottom end. My 2002 WRX has 200K on it so thought it best to either build up a new bottom end
    or maybe strip my down and rebuild it....

Option 1 is buy new Block (Larger 2.5 Bore) a 75mm Sti crank after market rods and pistons....

Option 2 Still buy the Sti crank aftermarket rods pistons but sleeve my 02 block with Darton sleeves.....

Can you machine out a EJ20 block out to 98mm with these sleeves ???

I would want to keep the revs so don't want to stroke the crank any more..

Any help would be great as I'm very new to these motors ( owned more than a few V8's in the past )

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    How much power are you trying to make? And how much boost to you plan on running to get it there? Sleeves usually aren't the answer, especially for a street car.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would try to get a hold of an EJ207 block before sleeving. It's just not a cost effective option nor generally one that is first choice for a build. Especially just a DD/street car. I would just have the stock crank cleaned,polished and cyro treated. Toss in a set of forged rods and pistons,have everything balanced,slap on a 2.5L oil pan with re-enforced pickup tube,port the heads and call it a day.
    Last edited by Donkey; 01-14-2013 at 06:35 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

What block do I have ?? A EJ 205 ?? Is the 207 stronger
    Sorry for the newby question

As fat as my BHP target I'm not sure just a fun 300 + I suppose I don't want to go big
    And make it to serious . Just want to spend some money on a stout bottom end..

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    For anything under 600whp (800bhp+) running under 28psi boost pressure sleeves would make it LESS reliable. Even up to 600whp, as long as people are running ~27psi or less (without ridiculous timing) they very rarely have any issues with the stock sleeves. Any cracked sleeves I have seen from people running less than 30psi were the result of bad tuning. A lot of people who get Darton sleeves installed end up with the sleeves coming loose/dropping, so it's not worth it.

For 300bhp, I would say a stock block will be the most reliable. No one can build a Subaru motor as good as Subaru. If you're wanting 330whp+ I would get forged pistons. If you go with a STi block, the stock STi rods are easily capable of handling 400whp, although there are lighter options that will be just as strong.
    Last edited by MainFrame; 01-14-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks again for the advice..... I need to be sensible about this car but the Kid in me always wants more....
    I think the adult in me may win out this time though....