02 stock boost?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 stock boost? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 02 wrx was wondering what they run for stock boost. From what I can find I think ...

02 stock boost?

I have a 02 wrx was wondering what they run for stock boost. From what I can find I think ist 13.5 but wen I hooked up a gauge in my car it I'm running 19. I have a compleatly stock car. What is safe to turn it up to?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Stock car? It's not safe to even install something that would allow you to turn up the boost.. at least not without carefully logging it.

Stock boost should be around 13-14psi. Which is also the safe maximum boost without a proper tune.

I Support ClubWRX

02 stock boost?

If you have a stock car you have no option to adjust boost anyway.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

if your running 19 psi you dont have "a completely stock car" look under your hood and see if the previous owner installed a mbc. they were a pretty common mod back in 02. although 19 psi with no tuning doesnt make sense either. even bolt on friendly bugeyes could only safely run about 16-16.5 psi without tuning. if thats all stock check your wastegate line and make sure its properly hooked up. if its disconnected or clogged it could be leaving the wastegate closed, causing boost to skyrocket. although i think evrn your tiny little td04 would spike to over 19 psi if that was the case. but its worth looking at since you'll be looking at it for the MBC
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 01-14-2013 at 01:57 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

something i forgot to ask also. does the car run properly? your 100% sure its all stock? 19psi just doesnt make a lot of sense out of a td04. does it spike to 19 and drop way down at redline or does it hold 19 psi in the high rpms as well? did you just buy it? if so maybe some shady owner converted it back to as stock as easily possible and left a vf39 on it...just pure speculation at this point but might be worth looking into

Yes I just bought the the car and yes it is 100% stock besides the spt short ram I put on. At idle it runs like **** and it holds 19psi all day long.I did notice last night that some of my vacume lines are rotted off gonna fix those n see wat happens does anyone have a vacume diagram

If you just bought it how are you 100% sure its 100% stock? i only ask because the stock turbo, which on a Bugeye is a Mitsubishi TD04L-13T, won't hold 19 psi at redline. It's just physically to small to move enough air to do so. Try to get a look at the turbo and see if you can see if anything is written on the compressor wheel. I know it's in a tight spot but if you can see anything resembling the IHI written on the vf turbo then It's not stock.

Rotten vacuum lines could def be a problem, I would take care of that ASAP. but it still doesn't explain how it "holds 19 psi all day"

In this image a stock td04 is on the left. And an IHI vf39(stock sti turbo, common 02 wrx upgrade) is on the right. Ignore the middle turbo.(sorry most relevant pick I had)

zax
    What boost gauge did you purchase? As mentioned, a TD04-13T will not hold 19PSI to redline. My guess is that the gauge is reading incorrectly or you somehow hooked it up prior to the TMIC. The gauge needs to be plumbed into the BPV high pressure line (best representation of actual boost pressure into the cylinder).
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    What boost gauge did you purchase? As mentioned, a TD04-13T will not hold 19PSI to redline. My guess is that the gauge is reading incorrectly or you somehow hooked it up prior to the TMIC. The gauge needs to be plumbed into the BPV high pressure line (best representation of actual boost pressure into the cylinder).
    DOH! i didnt even think of that! lol. def could be cause of all the trouble. and an easy diagnosis, hook up a different gauge and see if it reads different. easy enough haha

zax
    Actually I would just use an OBDII reader to read the internal MAP sensor sans the ATM press... While not the most accurate sensor, it certainly won't read 6 psi off...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

true. thats what i get for trying to flex my brain muscle and overthinking the situation. ha. OP def go with zax suggestion first. as its the simpliest and easiest thing to start with.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Sure there is. A lot of us used manual boost controllers with great success. The stock '02 mapping only allows something like* 7 PSI in first and second, 12 in third or something like that. The MBC allows 13 PSI across first to third, but watch for higher in 5th and winter.

* it has been ten years since I put mine in, so I may be forgetting the exact numbers.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Sure there is. A lot of us used manual boost controllers with great success. The stock '02 mapping only allows something like* 7 PSI in first and second, 12 in third or something like that. The MBC allows 13 PSI across first to third, but watch for higher in 5th and winter.

* it has been ten years since I put mine in, so I may be forgetting the exact numbers.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think what he was trying to say is if your car is literally stock you cannot adjust the boost.

A MBC is an aftermarket part, therefore your car wouldn't be considered stock. :P

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.