Drop in Filter? Nameless axleback?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Drop in Filter? Nameless axleback? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im looking at getting a drop in air filter from AEM. But im wondering if this is ok to use ...

Drop in Filter? Nameless axleback?

Im looking at getting a drop in air filter from AEM. But im wondering if this is ok to use without a Tune? I know with turbo cars especially WRX's using a CAI without a tune can make the car run lean. Will a drop in be ok? Also looking to eventually get the Nameless Axleback no muffler 3.5 tips kit For my 2013 Hatch and im assuming for that i don't need a tune? Im not looking to get crazy horsepower right now just looking for a few extra horsepower and more sound! I also heard that the stock intake especially with a drop in is good for close to 350 to 400hp so no need for a CAI in my mind i don't ever see myself making more then that! So good to go or no i need a tune?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I personally have the nameless axleback muffler delete, quite honestly prob the best $300 ive spent on my car! great growl and nice rumble.

CAI or short ram youll need a tune. I beleive for drop in filters you need a tune too but not 100% on that. Axle and catback you wont need a tune. Turboback you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    CAI or short ram youll need a tune. I beleive for drop in filters you need a tune too but not 100% on that. Axle and catback you wont need a tune. Turboback you will.
    Ya i was thinking with the drop in performance air filter that i still might need a tune but wanted to her opinions still especially from tuners that really know just to make sure. The axleback is pretty much just for sound. Hopefully someone who really know about the Drop in filters will chime in. As far as tunes go for the car do you need an access port or can you just do it from a lap top and the pros and cons and if from a laptop what kind on cable do i need and can it be done from a ipod touch or smart phone Also? Sorry for the questions but im new to the turbo game. Im an American Muscle convert!.LOL...

yes axle and catback are noise makers. turboback is where you get your power. if its a 2013 and your still under warranty and want to keep your warranty talk to your dealer about what parts will mess with warranty. for tuning you can use an accessport which has maps that are made for your car but not perfectly fit, just a general map. opensource tuning is the laptop tuning which is custom designed for your car and mods. Accessport maps only fit some mods. dont believe you can use an iphone or smart phone app for tuning lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    yes axle and catback are noise makers. turboback is where you get your power. if its a 2013 and your still under warranty and want to keep your warranty talk to your dealer about what parts will mess with warranty. for tuning you can use an accessport which has maps that are made for your car but not perfectly fit, just a general map. opensource tuning is the laptop tuning which is custom designed for your car and mods. Accessport maps only fit some mods. dont believe you can use an iphone or smart phone app for tuning lol.
    LOL...Ya i was just thinking since smart phones are just mini computers it might work. I bought the car about a 1.5 hours away so im thinking of finding a local dealer to take my car to for work and warranty stuff.. Sounds like the open source tuning is the way to go with the lap top!

yes from a good tuner youll get a much better tune. where are you from?

Does anyone know if the nameless axle back 4" muffler replacement system needs a tune? Or bolt n go w stock settings?
    2012 WR Blue WRX

Quote Originally Posted by rikkyb30 View Post
    Does anyone know if the nameless axle back 4" muffler replacement system needs a tune? Or bolt n go w stock settings?
    wont need a tune.

You won't need a tune at all. A drop in filter doesn't change the intake dynamics of the actual intake system such as changing the entire intake would.

And honestly, an AEM panel filter/drop in is pointless. The stock paper filter works perfectly fine. Filters better and flows adequately. Plus, IIRC, the AEM is oiled, which runs the risk of gumming up the MAF which can lead to potential problems.

And an axleback does not need a tune. It's just a noise maker.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I hate to sound irritate, but I am. Does anybody know how to use the search feature on forums or Google anymore? I'm a noob to scoob, but that doesn't stop me from searching for info before creating a thread that's been covered tons of times.

Quote Originally Posted by speedsterX View Post
    I hate to sound irritate, but I am. Does anybody know how to use the search feature on forums or Google anymore? I'm a noob to scoob, but that doesn't stop me from searching for info before creating a thread that's been covered tons of times.
    Amen.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

AEM is not oiled. A drop in filter does not require a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by speedsterX View Post
    wow.. Really? New thread on an old topic bother you that much? First off I did look it before I posted and found many different opinions! Also some times things change. Why read and take advise from info or a thread that's a couple years old when other studies and changes could have accrued that make the old advise void. Oh we'll whatever!

here we go with pulling the do a search card. you opened the thread knowing what it was about lol. anyways opensource tuning is much better because u get your specific peramiters, like temps, alt, mods. where cobb is a off the shelf tune for twice the money. yea it has some nice features but nothin special. i have the nameless 5" and love it. also i wouldnt worry bout everyone telling you bout warranty woes, its a drop in filter and axleback. it would take 20 min to switch back...
    boost is like alcohol, its fun and great in moderation, to much and something's gonna go boom.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.