Downpipes - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Downpipes within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Colinz89 Will a aftermarket downpipe void your warranty? Like I've said probably 100 times on here. Nothing ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Colinz89 View Post
    Will a aftermarket downpipe void your warranty?

Like I've said probably 100 times on here. Nothing can void your warranty.. PERIOD. But pratically anything can be cited as a reason to deny any specific warranty claim (including simply driving the car).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Wussola View Post
    Just an interesting fact ... here in Rhode Island I've been told that if your car has under 80k miles that you won't pass inspection if you have any type of aftermarket exhaust parts. They don't even check emissions ... if they see anything that is not OEM stock then you don't pass.

Technically, that's federal law, not just Rhode Island. It is illegal to change anything that has to do with factory emissions, in any state. However. the majority of inspection stations simply look the other way.

I Support ClubWRX
    lol warranties
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Just an interesting fact ... here in Rhode Island I've been told that if your car has under 80k miles that you won't pass inspection if you have any type of aftermarket exhaust parts. They don't even check emissions ... if they see anything that is not OEM stock then you don't pass.
    If there is any type of inspection I would suggest getting a catted DP. You can always tell the inspector that "Yea, the cat failed so I had to have it replaced, that's what the mechanic put it.

Downpipes

I run the catted turbo XS on my 11 sedan. The nice thing about it is that it is two pieces and you can buy the cat less section for $100 and go catless if you want. It was the most reasonably priced and the quality is great

Re: Downpipes

I just purchased a CNt racing catless for my 12 wrx hatch. Should be installing next weekend with torqued performance tune.
    I'll let you know what i think. Eric from tp suggested this one a few months ago to me.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Technically, that's federal law, not just Rhode Island. It is illegal to change anything that has to do with factory emissions, in any state. However. the majority of inspection stations simply look the other way.
    I guess my thought was that if you replace and exhaust piece but retained a catalitic converter - and you actually tested the emissions and it passed ... that all was good. Just because it's a performance piece shouldn't matter as long as you actually pass emissions. Would they also not pass your car if say you had the exhaust replaced by meineke? That's not OEM.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I guess my thought was that if you replace and exhaust piece but retained a catalitic converter - and you actually tested the emissions and it passed ... that all was good. Just because it's a performance piece shouldn't matter as long as you actually pass emissions. Would they also not pass your car if say you had the exhaust replaced by meineke? That's not OEM.

They pass me running totally catless, still doesn't mean it's legal. That's why most aftermarket exhausts are marketed "for off road use only".

For what it's worth, changing anything to do with the ECU (ie, tuning) is also against federal emissions laws.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    what changed on the '13 that it needs a different downpipe? this is news to me, could of sworn the '13 is the same as the '12....and the '11....and the '10.....and the '09...you get the idea lol
    Yessir, definitely is the same. I have the same Invidia catless from my 11 WRX now on my 13 STi. Same AEM intake too...and accessport. Soo glad I didn't have to rebuy all my stg 2 mods for the new car, because stg2 11 WRX > stock STi. But I still wanted the STi because racecar.

It was painful waiting for Cobb to come out with maps for the '13. I LOVE my STi but off the lot it was not impressive in the acceleration department, way more fun to get sideways in though!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wussola
    It depends on the testing done. Catted/catless should have no problem passing OBDII inspection (any related DTCs should be disabled in the map); only issue might be in the readiness monitors if you flashed recently and they haven't come back online yet, but I force mine online so there's no wait. Catted might pass a visual, but not likely if the inspector knows what to look for, and catless often passes because shops skip the visual on emission control devices. Sniffer test, it's unlikely either will pass.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    The other option is live somewhere with zero vehicle inspections, like 95% of Oregon. I just renew my registration online every couple years, no vehicle or emissions checks of any kind.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Re: Downpipes

That's how Kansas is too Rambo. Very nice.

I think it is because 90% of the rednecks around here would fail emissions with there straight piped pickups. No offense to any rednecks on this website.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123