Intercooler upgrades

This is a discussion on Intercooler upgrades within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, hoping to find some info on intercoolers for my 2011 WRX. I was thinking of upgrading to a ...

I Support ClubWRX

Intercooler upgrades

Hello all, hoping to find some info on intercoolers for my 2011 WRX. I was thinking of upgrading to a PW TMIC but am now wondering if it is worth it. There are other good TMIC's out there so wondering if any can compare with it that are cheaper or if you get what you are paying for. Im also considering going FMIC but not 100% sure, price is playing a large role in that. I also read that the STI TMIC is close to the same flow as a PW TMIC, so im wondering what it takes to swap that into a 2011 WRX.
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    This topic is currently being discussed here: looking for real dyno numbers with Perrin vs. PW TMIC.

As far as FMIC, I wouldn't even begin to consider it unless you're going to run a turbo larger than a 20g. Even with a 30r it's debatable, depending on what the car is going to be used for.

I Support ClubWRX
    thanks for the info. ive been reading on that post but trying not to thread jack too much lol
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I can't offer much advice from experience, only my own research. I think you should pick the intercooler to match your turbo needs though. You don't want one too small or too big. So, are you planning on sticking with the stock turbo, or upgrading?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    Hello all, hoping to find some info on intercoolers for my 2011 WRX. I was thinking of upgrading to a PW TMIC but am now wondering if it is worth it. There are other good TMIC's out there so wondering if any can compare with it that are cheaper or if you get what you are paying for. Im also considering going FMIC but not 100% sure, price is playing a large role in that. I also read that the STI TMIC is close to the same flow as a PW TMIC, so im wondering what it takes to swap that into a 2011 WRX.
    If you are going to do any track time, I would consider a FMIC. Otherwise, unless going with a larger turbo, a TMIC is a nice (and cheaper) way to go. The FMIC also brings with it more fitment and install concerns that a TMIC does. Clearances with your intake and front bumper beam tend to be an issue, especially with the cheaper kits.

I'd lean away from the STi stocker. It's a sub-par construction method when compared to the bar and plate construction used by most quality aftermarket companies. You'll have a much better (lower) pressure drop with the PW or Perrin units discussed in the other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm planning on staying with the stock turbo and would like a TMIC, just looking for which ones out there are good quality
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    I'm planning on staying with the stock turbo and would like a TMIC, just looking for which ones out there are good quality
    You are on the right track then. I've never heard of a disappointed PW customer. I believe Maus had some minor rubbing he had to resolve. I'd snatch one up if I wasn't planning to go a bit bigger down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Intercooler upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I believe Maus had some minor rubbing he had to resolve.
    Maus always has rubbing issues.

I think it was Maus or Bruce who said that they had problems with the PW TMIC clearing the brake fluid reservoir or the brake lines.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Alright then I'll just plan on the PW then, was just trying to see if other could compare for cheaper. Thanks for the info
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Yeah there's that one PW TMIC for sale on here as well. I'm too lazy to link it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    both of us noted it.....

If you don't have the mounting just right, the re-used driver's side mount will rub and gouge the brake fluid reservoir. this can be easily fixed with a dremmel to the mount.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8