looking for real dyno numbers with Perrin vs. PW TMIC.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on looking for real dyno numbers with Perrin vs. PW TMIC. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was looking into one of these 2 going up to stage 3 along with a fuel pump, a 3 ...

I was looking into one of these 2 going up to stage 3 along with a fuel pump, a 3 port and the TMIC. I know that the PW is an excellent IC an excellent quality and the fitment is excellent. However, to spend an additional 2-300.00 for very few hp ... or even worse, none at all... I wanted to get possibly some real numbers to help me with my decision.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Re: looking for real dyno numbers with Perrin vs. PW TMIC.

As a general rule you likely won't see much power difference between the two on a dyno. Nothing that can't be attributed to dyno error, at least.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    beyond power do the PW and Perrin cool the car the same?
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Subscribed to see what people have to say about this because I have wondered about this myself. I would like to go stage 3 at some point and had the same question about if the PW TMIC is worth the extra few hundred dollars.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    Subscribed to see what people have to say about this because I have wondered about this myself. I would like to go stage 3 at some point and had the same question about if the PW TMIC is worth the extra few hundred dollars.
    Oh I definitely think that it's worth it. The quality is outstanding. It comes with the shroud, and the tubing which is super strong from what everyone has said, so there would be no collapse under heavy boost.

However, Perrin is certainly no slouch by any means and also make very nice products. I had one of their BOV's for my old Evo and it was a very good, quality piece.

I am only planning on buying one and only one time so I just want to make the best decision. Perrin has a dyno on their chart, but it doesn't show great numbers and I know that more power can be had from what they are showing... but maybe I am misreading the charts which is why I wanted to ask around here to see what kind of power I might see from both from stage 2 to 3. Especially when a 3 port and extra fuel can be added.

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    beyond power do the PW and Perrin cool the car the same?
    Output is dependent on cooling. The two are linked.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Output is dependent on cooling. The two are linked.

Yep, the two things you're looking at with an intercooler are efficiency and pressure drop.

Of course dyno comparisons are completely irrelevant with intercoolers because the dyno does a very poor job of simulating real world air flow conditions. That is unless you only drive the car on a dyno and never on the street, which isn't totally unheard of..

I Support ClubWRX
    im planning on saving for the PW TMIC but if i can save some money and still have a good TMIC i wouldnt mind the savings
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    Oh I definitely think that it's worth it. The quality is outstanding. It comes with the shroud, and the tubing which is super strong from what everyone has said, so there would be no collapse under heavy boost.

However, Perrin is certainly no slouch by any means and also make very nice products. I had one of their BOV's for my old Evo and it was a very good, quality piece.

I am only planning on buying one and only one time so I just want to make the best decision. Perrin has a dyno on their chart, but it doesn't show great numbers and I know that more power can be had from what they are showing... but maybe I am misreading the charts which is why I wanted to ask around here to see what kind of power I might see from both from stage 2 to 3. Especially when a 3 port and extra fuel can be added.
    Yeah their dyno charts are only with their stage 2 tune and not anything to specifically account for the new intercooler. Did you by any chance ask Eric at TP? I see that you're already running a TP tune and I assume you would be going with his stage 3 tune. Maybe he has some dyno or road dyno numbers he could give you. Keep me posted.
    -Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    Yeah their dyno charts are only with their stage 2 tune and not anything to specifically account for the new intercooler. Did you by any chance ask Eric at TP? I see that you're already running a TP tune and I assume you would be going with his stage 3 tune. Maybe he has some dyno or road dyno numbers he could give you. Keep me posted.
    He suggested the PW and said it was "the best" which is why I am leaning in that direction.... still a few hundred dollars is a few hundred dollars.

I Support ClubWRX
    Again, you're not going to see much/any of a difference that can't be attributed to dyno error. They probably have similar pressure drops and somewhat comparable cooling ability. I would expect similar tunes with most decent TMICs.

Personally, I would go with PW or ETS (when they release an '08+ WRX I/C). If your tuner recommends a certain product, you should go that route; since the tune is the most important aspect of your build, you should go by what they want on your car.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    He suggested the PW and said it was "the best" which is why I am leaning in that direction.... still a few hundred dollars is a few hundred dollars.
    Yeah for a couple hundred bucks you could basically get the tune and the ebcs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

I Support ClubWRX
    700 for perrin vs 900 for PW is a big jump and if they perform similarly the extra 200 like noah said could provide the ebcs and tune
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

The IC is a really critical piece of a highly modified, high output turbo system versus a stock turbo system where the relative differences in performance between different ICs are much less important. However, I've never seen any detailed dyno info about the Perrin versus the PW units, so all you're going to get (unless there's something out there I'm unaware of) is people's personal opinions.

Here's a LINK to the most detailed comparison of the two I've seen. It also includes a comparison with the stock STI TMIC, which should be another option you consider. Those typically go for $300-350 so they will save you significant money over either of the two aftermarket options.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Again, you're not going to see much/any of a difference that can't be attributed to dyno error. They probably have similar pressure drops and somewhat comparable cooling ability. I would expect similar tunes with most decent TMICs.

Personally, I would go with PW or ETS (when they release an '08+ WRX I/C). If your tuner recommends a certain product, you should go that route; since the tune is the most important aspect of your build, you should go by what they want on your car.
    Oh I would LOVE to get an ETS. I had a 4" FMIC on my Evo X and quality was EXCELLENT. I don't know how long it will be before it comes out though. I do know Michael said they would be working on one when they got back from some convention or something ETS was at. I don't recall now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.