up pipe wars
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on up pipe wars within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; anyone have a good/bad/ ugly story to tell about the megan racing up pipe?...

up pipe wars

anyone have a good/bad/ ugly story to tell about the megan racing up pipe?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What's your reason for posting this thread?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I have no personal experience, but I have heard of fitment issues and cracking at the flex pipe. I would rather (and did) gut the stock uppipe before putting junk on pre turbo.

Sorry for the quick post and lack of info. Ran short on time. I was wondering why so cheap, all over they're under a Ben Franklin and don't look bad( looks+internet=mislead consumers) so as I am shopping for a budget friendly up pipe it just showed up at sixty plus dollars. I'd rather run a quality solid pipe since I'm not going big on mods. The catted piece is solid I'm good with a solid pipe back in. But even still, the Megan is half the price of a decent solid like turbo xs or invidia. With flex pipe blowout pics everywhere I thought I'd grab a opinion before I grabbed parts and wound up with a headache plus hours of useless reassembly.

I Support ClubWRX

up pipe wars

Just my view: it is not the flex section that worries people, it's the internal presence of a cat con. Also, most stock up pipes are fine; therefore it is the working unaffected stock pipes that are everywhere rather than the failed stock pipes.

That said I'd PM a couple site vendors to discuss your needs and budget. Add money for the correct studs to have on hand, and the gaskets.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you're on such a tight budget I recommend either gutting your existing uppipe, or purchasing a used 2.5L uppipe from someone.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Just my view: it is not the flex section that worries people, it's the internal presence of a cat con. Also, most stock up pipes are fine; therefore it is the working unaffected stock pipes that are everywhere rather than the failed stock pipes.
    The eBay parts (Megan Racing is an eBay part, it's just some vendors have started selling them, which gives them some undue credibility) are notorious for fitment issues and issues with the flex sections breaking apart.

A quality uppipe is cheap enough. You can pick up a Grimmspeed or TurboXS unit for $150-200 new ($100 or so used). Once you tackle the uppipe install, you'll realize why I recommend spending the extra $$ the first time...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX

up pipe wars

Yes, and the right gaskets make a difference too.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

awesome. ok setting that aside(i have NO problem paying for good parts. the only way the '68 350 in my camaro has lasted almost 500,000miles) may i change the question? for me its asthetics but reliability of flex vs solid on a otherwise unmodded high milage wrx? i really like the look of the solid and might (for now) take Mainframe's advice and gut my existing cat out to save money for repairing the top end.(fuel line intake off repair and replacing turbo intake and intercooler lines, plus finishing up replacing all vacuum lines after the last mess i had lol) i guess my main problem in the end is parts, parts, parts. not a scoobie dealer that i trust within a four hour trip at 80mph. i just want to get the right stuff the first time so i can dig in and get done since i cant run to the garage for a 12$ gasket i forgot to get lol.

edit; thanks thanks again for continued support. making the switch from v8 to boxer is fun but the learning curve is steep. a road easier traveled with all your shared advice.
    Last edited by tirerob; 12-31-2012 at 06:53 PM.

I Support ClubWRX

up pipe wars

Contact a few site vendors. Buy lots of band aids and PB Blaster locally. It's all feasible and it might be fun.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob
    awesome. ok setting that aside(i have NO problem paying for good parts. the only way the '68 350 in my camaro has lasted almost 500,000miles) may i change the question? for me its asthetics but reliability of flex vs solid on a otherwise unmodded high milage wrx? i really like the look of the solid and might (for now) take Mainframe's advice and gut my existing cat out to save money for repairing the top end.(fuel line intake off repair and replacing turbo intake and intercooler lines, plus finishing up replacing all vacuum lines after the last mess i had lol) i guess my main problem in the end is parts, parts, parts. not a scoobie dealer that i trust within a four hour trip at 80mph. i just want to get the right stuff the first time so i can dig in and get done since i cant run to the garage for a 12$ gasket i forgot to get lol.

edit; thanks thanks again for continued support. making the switch from v8 to boxer is fun but the learning curve is steep. a road easier traveled with all your shared advice.
    I've gutted quite a few uppipes in my day for people (probably a dozen by now). It typically takes 1-2 hours to gut the uppipe completely. Be aware that you need to be 110% sure you got all the catcon material out of the uppipe if you go this route, since it will be easier for a piece to come off when most of it is removed.

While you can save some money, I don't feel it's worth it. Sure, you can save a few $$, but for the time/effort invested, just buy a used quality aftermarket piece.

UNYSOC

man thats awesome. i have a seperate tool box for gauze and captain morgan.(my new first aid box ;') after one more search im thinking on waiting a bit longer on the intake off job since the last time i was under intake i weaseled in a fuel line replacement and am not pouring fuel onto the right cylinder head. wanting grimmspeed candy. shiny goodness. soo shiny lol. and a dollar resistor lol.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    If you're on such a tight budget I recommend either gutting your existing uppipe, or purchasing a used 2.5L uppipe from someone.
    This. Unless you're going with an EWG setup, wasting money on a name brand UP is pointless. Just get a 2.5L one...that's my opinion and the smart buy.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Just gut the stock one. It's free and just as effective as getting an aftermarket one (actually the gutted OEM one is better IMHO). You want one with a flex section because that's a critical part of that pipe since it needs to flex or you'll get leaks or possibly cracked flanges. Make sure you replace the gaskets with some new OEM ones as well.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    Just gut the stock one. It's free and just as effective as getting an aftermarket one (actually the gutted OEM one is better IMHO). You want one with a flex section because that's a critical part of that pipe since it needs to flex or you'll get leaks or possibly cracked flanges. Make sure you replace the gaskets with some new OEM ones as well.
    How many uppipes have you gutted? A gutted uppipe is NOT better than a quality aftermarket one; it's a solid option for someone who wants to spend as little money as possible.

Quality uppipes don't typically have an issue with the flex sections or flanges.

My time is worth more than what I'd save gutting a stock unit. Having done 12-15 gutted uppipes, I would say your money is better spent buying an uppipe that is already catless.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews
    This. Unless you're going with an EWG setup, wasting money on a name brand UP is pointless. Just get a 2.5L one...that's my opinion and the smart buy.
    I disagree that it's "wasted money" to buy a quality aftermarket unit. You can save a little bit of money buying a used 2.5L one, but aftermarket units are better.

Linky:
    Stock Up-pipe - a more serious look - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

UNYSOC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast