up pipe wars - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on up pipe wars within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I don't like aftermarket up-pipes because none come with a heatshield. If you get aftermarket please heat wrap it....

I don't like aftermarket up-pipes because none come with a heatshield. If you get aftermarket please heat wrap it.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by oguitar
    I don't like aftermarket up-pipes because none come with a heatshield. If you get aftermarket please heat wrap it.
    So you don't like a better flowing unit because they don't come with a heatshield?

When wrapping, be sure not to wrap a flex section; it can cause premature failure...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews
    FWIW Matty, I couldnt find any used aftermarket UP for less than 150. And on the cheapest end it was a 38mm EWG UP. I couldn't find any non-EWG UPs in the main F/S threads on the first couple pages on NASIOC.
    Grimmspeed uppipes are $160 new. Locally, a quality uppipe goes from $50-100.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

after getting into it today to fix a leaky thermostat i am now thinking about a full header-up-down pipe-tune budget be dammed, ill just save a bit more. but even headers and up pipe i need a tune correct? im not to worried about heat soak from the up pipe, my drives are really short(3 miles to work) or long cruises at 75-80 for hours.

grimspeed up pipe and headers+tune. can i get 250hp from a 140k motor?
    Last edited by tirerob; 01-01-2013 at 08:27 PM.

I Support ClubWRX

up pipe wars

It's not the up pipe. It's the headers. Without the headers the fueling map is fine. With the headers it may need changes.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'd skip replacing the headers if you're going to be using the stock turbo. The stock cast iron exhaust manifold will provide the best spool and they're not going to restrict flow with a stockish sized turbo.

cool thanks SD. yah,thats got to be a big change in flow. loving the way my car performs already but those factory manifolds are Ugly. im hoping to find a tuner on the west end of MT or denver this summer.

and mainframe too. i had it in my mind it would be easier to get all that replaced in one shot than fight up pipe then replace the headers later. but if thats the case. hmmmmmmmmmm
    Last edited by tirerob; 01-01-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: cant read for some reason

Yeah definitely skip the headers. The stock ones flow very well and aren't a restriction in the exhaust system.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

just ugly and big then lol. maybe its the shielding(which i shall leave intact!) grimm up pipe and gaskets then. seems like they have the best, "i ordered it and got everything!" comments. 2 cases of PB and a weekend lol. i saw a lot of rusty fasteners today. and a tune....might have to roadie to denver but thats awesome,i have a friend down there that has a new MS3 and wants to play in the snow. *snicker*

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Meh, they're under the car anyways, so who cares what they look like.

truetrue.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    So you don't like a better flowing unit because they don't come with a heatshield?

When wrapping, be sure not to wrap a flex section; it can cause premature failure...
    Yeah this picture sums it up for me.

Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

that picture burns my eyes just to look at.

OP i went with a grimmspeed uppipe and gaskets and didnt have any fitment issues. ive heard some others have with GS though..

ohmygod. if i do that with my engine inside the car there had better be a 911 call involved. or you can brand me with it for abusing a stocker. wonder what kind of numbers theyre pulling with it though, has to be real high load/rpm. instead of headers i was looking at grimmspeed's PnP factory iron manifold and crossover combo. that looks like a much better idea than headers. has anyone done a gasket matching on theyre factory iron(old school drumel tool pnp) and had good results? i know this will still require a tune but its a thought. ive done gasket matching on several v8's with great turnout but thats N/A.

that grimmspeed coated set looks nice though.

It was always my understanding that an up pipe added little to no power and I never saw any reason to switch it ?
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.