up pipe wars - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on up pipe wars within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by EJ257 I disagree that it's "wasted money" to buy a quality aftermarket unit. You can save a ...

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I disagree that it's "wasted money" to buy a quality aftermarket unit. You can save a little bit of money buying a used 2.5L one, but aftermarket units are better.

Linky:
    Stock Up-pipe - a more serious look - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
    2.5L UP can be picked up for 20 bucks. I get what that thread is saying, but it's still not worth it IMO.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

up pipe wars

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    2.5L UP can be picked up for 20 bucks. I get what that thread is saying, but it's still not worth it IMO.
    You mean used from the forum members' for sale ads? That's a great price, didn't know that.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    You mean used from the forum members' for sale ads? That's a great price, didn't know that.
    Correct. I've seen them go from anywhere from $20-$50. Just keep in mind that most people want to just get rid of them and probably wont go through the process to reinstall a stock UP any time soon. Even at the high end of the price scale, you're saving $100 on most of the quality aftermarket pieces.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX

up pipe wars

Great tip in my view.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

this is the correct subaru up right? i think my rural montana internet needs to lay off the new years hooch.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqZHJDgFC7lch,w9BQ0I1o35Dg~~60_12.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	110713 it was hard to find just a good image.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ive got a full tank of cheesecake flavored rum to get through tonight before fixing the last little leak left by the dealer i bought it from. then, on to smoking my credit card on much cooler stuff. combining preventive repairs with aftermarket upgrades is the best medicine ever for a new years hangover. i hope...

edit: we have no emissions. no safety inspections unless your getting your drivers license. no sound level rules as truckers jake brake down main street. and farmers drive 1960's farm trucks with split rim wheels for me to fix so i dont have to worry over dot checks thank god
    Last edited by tirerob; 12-31-2012 at 09:45 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    this is the correct subaru up right? i think my rural montana internet needs to lay off the new years hooch.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqZHJDgFC7lch,w9BQ0I1o35Dg~~60_12.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	110713 it was hard to find just a good image.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ive got a full tank of cheesecake flavored rum to get through tonight before fixing the last little leak left by the dealer i bought it from. then, on to smoking my credit card on much cooler stuff. combining preventive repairs with aftermarket upgrades is the best medicine ever for a new years hangover. i hope...
    Nope, that's a cross pipe.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews
    For every $20 OE catless 2.5L uppipe you can link to, I would bet you could find a quality aftermarket one for $50...

Is it going to make a difference on a base map? No. If they have any desire for a proper tune, however, aftermarket is the way to go.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

How many uppipes have you gutted? A gutted uppipe is NOT better than a quality aftermarket one; it's a solid option for someone who wants to spend as little money as possible.

Quality uppipes don't typically have an issue with the flex sections or flanges.

My time is worth more than what I'd save gutting a stock unit. Having done 12-15 gutted uppipes, I would say your money is better spent buying an uppipe that is already catless.

I disagree that it's "wasted money" to buy a quality aftermarket unit. You can save a little bit of money buying a used 2.5L one, but aftermarket units are better.

Linky:
    Stock Up-pipe - a more serious look - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
    I've only done a few personally. I'd just say for somebody who's not highly modified and has limited funds, gutting the stock UP is a good option rather than spending dough that could be much better spent on other parts than on an aftermarket UP.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    For every $20 OE catless 2.5L uppipe you can link to, I would bet you could find a quality aftermarket one for $50...

Is it going to make a difference on a base map? No. If they have any desire for a proper tune, however, aftermarket is the way to go.
    I haven't seen any flow charts that shows an after market UP that outflows the stock one significantly. Even if there was one, your stock turbos hotside isn't any larger so it's still getting choked of.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    I've only done a few personally. I'd just say for somebody who's not highly modified and has limited funds, gutting the stock UP is a good option rather than spending dough that could be much better spent on other parts than on an aftermarket UP.
    But factor in how much your time is worth. To save $50, do you want to spend a few hours gutting / cleaning up the stock pipe? For me, it's not worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by Drews
    I haven't seen any flow charts that shows an after market UP that outflows the stock one significantly. Even if there was one, your stock turbos hotside isn't any larger so it's still getting choked of.
    Flow charts I don't have. I can probably net 200RPM spool and 10+whp in sections of the RPM range with an aftermarket pipe (vs a gutted / OE catless pipe). Up to you whether it's worth it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Flow charts I don't have. I can probably net 200RPM spool and 10+whp in sections of the RPM range with an aftermarket pipe (vs a gutted / OE catless pipe). Up to you whether it's worth it.
    Like I said, I really think it's more cost effective to go EWG if you're going to do all that work.

aww yea i see the difference in the bends. this was advertised as a up pipe on ebay.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    aww yea i see the difference in the bends. this was advertised as a up pipe on ebay.
    An OEM UP or an aftermarket UP would have a 2 bolt flange at one end and 5 studs on the other...I'm not sure how you'd define the shape. I guess if I HAD to, it's triangular.

But factor in how much your time is worth. To save $50, do you want to spend a few hours gutting / cleaning up the stock pipe? For me, it's not worth it...
    I'm confused. Where are you getting a quality aftermarket UP for $50?

And like I said, this isn't about you or me, this is about somebody that is telling us he has limited funds. So gutting the stock UP to me sounds like something that's worth his time.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'm confused. Where are you getting a quality aftermarket UP for $50?
    He did say used.

FS: (For Sale) 02-05 Shortblock, Wrx intercooler and up pipe - NASIOC 20 bucks for stock up pipe (granted its catted)
    FS: (For Sale) OH Multiple parts, STi injectors, uppipe, fuel pump etc - NASIOC 2.5L UP for 40.

FWIW Matty, I couldnt find any used aftermarket UP for less than 150. And on the cheapest end it was a 38mm EWG UP. I couldn't find any non-EWG UPs in the main F/S threads on the first couple pages on NASIOC.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast