Perrin Fuel rail leaking need help
Results 1 to 11 of 11

This is a discussion on Perrin Fuel rail leaking need help within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I've got a 2011 WRX with some mods. I recently found out that it was leaking fuel at ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Beach CA
    Posts
    41

    Perrin Fuel rail leaking need help

    Hey guys I've got a 2011 WRX with some mods. I recently found out that it was leaking fuel at the fuel rail and injectors meeting point. I changed the O-rings and seals on the injectors but it was still leaking but not as bad. So I called Perrin and was told to remove the washers that came with the rails. I have Deatchwerks injectors by the way, so I was told the washers aren't required. But after removing the washers it was still leaking. I'm thinking it's the hoses and the clamps so I'm gonna try to replace the clamps.
    I was wondering if anyone had any similar situations and what they did to fix this issue.
    Thanks.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,753
    This is a fairly frequent problem. Have you tried swapping around parts to different locations to see if the same thing happens?

    And just curious but what mods do you have that required you to upgrade your fuel system?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  4. #3
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,516
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    This is a fairly frequent problem. Have you tried swapping around parts to different locations to see if the same thing happens?

    And just curious but what mods do you have that required you to upgrade your fuel system?
    A VERY frequent problem. Especially on the V1s. I've heard of less problems with the V2s but they do still leak. And like Scott asked, why did you feel the need to upgrade your fuel rails. The stock rails flow plenty of fuel even for highly modified street cars. Unless you're building a track specific racecar I don't see the need for them.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Beach CA
    Posts
    41
    I bought the car with the mods. Previous owner had bought it and had it modded by the dealer in las Vegas. Car only had 7000 miles when I got it. It's got perrin cold air intake. Process west Top mount intercooler. Grimmspeed ebcs. Perrin fuel rail. Deatchwerks 1300 injectors. Turbo back Cobb exhaust. Walbro fuel pump. Air fuel gauge. Boost gauge... I had to buy Cobb access port and had church tune it with 91 and e85.
    I haven't tried swapping the injectors. But I did replace the o rings and seals. And I took out the washers from the fuel rails. I think I notice the fuel slowly leaking from the hoses where the hoses and the fuel rail gets connected. The guys at the shop used those crimp type clamps for the connection, I think maybe they don't have enough pressure on the ends. I'm gonna try to get some heavy duty clamps and change them all out.

  6. #5
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,516
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drox View Post
    I bought the car with the mods. Previous owner had bought it and had it modded by the dealer in las Vegas. Car only had 7000 miles when I got it. It's got perrin cold air intake. Process west Top mount intercooler. Grimmspeed ebcs. Perrin fuel rail. Deatchwerks 1300 injectors. Turbo back Cobb exhaust. Walbro fuel pump. Air fuel gauge. Boost gauge... I had to buy Cobb access port and had church tune it with 91 and e85.
    I haven't tried swapping the injectors. But I did replace the o rings and seals. And I took out the washers from the fuel rails. I think I notice the fuel slowly leaking from the hoses where the hoses and the fuel rail gets connected. The guys at the shop used those crimp type clamps for the connection, I think maybe they don't have enough pressure on the ends. I'm gonna try to get some heavy duty clamps and change them all out.
    I see a whole lot of upgrades and you're on a stock turbo? Also, why would you have touched the o-rings and seals on the injectors?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Beach CA
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I see a whole lot of upgrades and you're on a stock turbo? Also, why would you have touched the o-rings and seals on the injectors?
    Well Church said that he remembers the turbo being an STi turbo. I changed the o rings and seals because when I noticed the leak the engine was cold. And when the engine was warm/hot the leak was almost gone. So when I told the guy who did the work on my car he suggested I change the o rings and seals.

  8. #7
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,516
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drox View Post
    Well Church said that he remembers the turbo being an STi turbo. I changed the o rings and seals because when I noticed the leak the engine was cold. And when the engine was warm/hot the leak was almost gone. So when I told the guy who did the work on my car he suggested I change the o rings and seals.
    I would track down some stock fuel rails and sell the after market ones. You're not even close to the point of needing aftermarket fuel rails. It's really up to you, but the Perrins are known to leak.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  9. #8
    Registered User starkall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    522

    Perrin Fuel rail leaking need help

    Try using a crimp on clamp, the worm clamps prob won't hold the psi in the fuel line. It just go back to stock fuel rail.

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Beach CA
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I would track down some stock fuel rails and sell the after market ones. You're not even close to the point of needing aftermarket fuel rails. It's really up to you, but the Perrins are known to leak.
    Wow Perrin is known to leak? I thought they were a reputable manufacturer? I think I will try to get some new clamps on the hoses first then work from there.

  11. #10
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,516
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drox View Post
    Wow Perrin is known to leak? I thought they were a reputable manufacturer? I think I will try to get some new clamps on the hoses first then work from there.
    They are definitely one of the better companies out there. But even great companies have products that don't live up to their reputation. Honestly, the fuel rails are the only product from Perrin that I've seen a lot of negative reviews on. I've got quite a few Perrin products and never had any issues. It may just be you have one of the bad ones that slipped past QC. That's why I suggest you go back to stock. There are very rarely fitment issues with stock parts.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Beach CA
    Posts
    41
    I have fixed the leak by using permatex aviation form-a-gasket no. 3 sealant and new fuel line clamps that use a bolt and nut type tightening mechanism.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •