Looking for advice – Turbo leakage

This is a discussion on Looking for advice – Turbo leakage within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Short background: I have a 2008 WRX Hatch and installed a used VF-52 (my mechanic was surprised how brand new ...

Looking for advice – Turbo leakage

Short background: I have a 2008 WRX Hatch and installed a used VF-52 (my mechanic was surprised how brand new it looked), catted downpipe and CAI and went with TP stage 2.52 (expertly adjusted by Eric to suit our low quality 91 octane gas). The car still has some occasional boost creep (engine shutting down) where it reaches about 21psi (19 psi target). I know this is something mechanical and was considering what to do about it (EWG, EBC etc.). After about 4 weeks I noticed an oil leak that my mechanic identified as turbo seal leak. He says it is difficult to know if the turbo came like this or not. I am more concerned about what should I do to solve it. These are the options I came up with:

Note: My current budget for everything is $2K and my future goals with the car are to have around 300WHP on 91 octane. Anything above that is just gravy.

1) Take out the V-52 and send it for repairs (not cheap at 300.00 + shipping and I do not know how long it will last)
    2) Buy a brand new VF-52 (cost about $1,200-$1,300 and I now distrust its durability)
    3) Buy a Blouch 380 or 440. (Both will require custom tuning, bigger injectors, intercooler, fuel pump, EBC, EWG, etc.- I also do not want too much fuel consumption for my daily driver)
    4) Buy a kinugawa turbo and tune it with the money saved (distrust more than VF-52) or find some other good quality bolt on turbo for around $800 (if it even exists)
    5) Install the original TD04 back with the bigger downpipe and go with Cobb stage 2 map (My mechanic strongly advises against using Cobb’s maps- especially with 91 octane) and no more top end power.
    6) Install everything back to stock and keep using the Perrin stage one map until I have more money – I really hate the idea of losing the top end power gained.
    7) Keep using it like it is for a few more months keeping an eye on oil level (do not know all possible consequences)

Please advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Looking for advice – Turbo leakage

Are you certain it is the chra seals leaking? Or is it a leak at the feed line?

My mechanic traced the leak back to the joint between the hot and cold sides of the turbo. He says this is how it begins when a seal is failing (He's been fixing subarus for 16+ years)